New budget BFS build

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 07, 2024, 07:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I currently have it paired with an abu black max with an aftermarket BFS spool, it'll probably stay with that til I can talk someone sitting on a pile of 2500C into a trade.

If it were cheaper that would be the kastking reel that rises to the level of enough interest to gamble on one. But for $200 I dunno.

The first guide isn't higher than the levelwind. Its about the same height.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

I have almost bought one of these several times and never bit the bullet.Kinda slow, but looks
Fun !

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-crappie-maxx-tightline-special-crappie-reel-100015551-1

JasonGotaProblem

Ok. I want one now. With a bit of tuning that probably doesnt suck at all. All Brass gears too (according to them). The worst thing about it is the name and the ultra slow retrieve. But the sideplates are aluminum so I could just mirror polish it.

Dang it now I need one.

happyhooker

Jason, I honor you for being willing to try something a bit new.  Most people who know me would say I am old-fashioned and a traditionalist, and they would probably be right.  But, I ain't afraid of change, if it is well founded.  I hate change just for its own sake.  The only way well founded change happens if somebody is willing to experiment a little.  Keep on truckin' & doin' what you feel might lead to something good, and don't deny yourself the pleasure of avoiding the feeling that you missed the chance to do something positive.

Frank

Bryan Young

Those high frame guides were meant for spinners. I built several ultralite and lite rods with those guides and with the proper selection could cast almost 50 yards. I used double footed for the first guide then single footed for the remainder. Line only touched the tip coming off of the reel when suspending the lightest weight to keep the line straight with minimal deflection of the rod. Lots of trial with guide height and sizes along with guide placement that I could spend a whole day just doing guide selection and placement. I would only do this for my rods as customers would never pay for such service especially for a lite or ultralite rod. They got the good enough versions.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

If you're conscious of the total weight and swing weight then I'd use these very light weight guides:
https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/280542
 On a short rod you may feel the stiffening from double-foot guides.

I'd pick the smallest Ming Yang conventional over the Bass Pro crappie reel for ten bucks more. 
https://www.amazon.com/Ming-Yang-Fishing-Baitcast-Walleye/dp/B00PNYEY3W/ref=sr_1_2?adgrpid=1330409633924528&hvadid=83150841261990&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=113333&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83150945952743%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=9684_13530748&keywords=ming+yang+fishing+reel&qid=1707545414&sr=8-2
The spool doesn't weigh much and you can always drill the flanges.  The levelwind can be removed.  There is room under the hood for magnets.  Pictures here:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30207.15

jgp12000

Steve,I remember that Ming Yang post now,it looks to be of higher quality,some of the BPS crappie reel's reviews state line gets under the spool? I never heard of that on a baitcaster,but wouldn't wanna find out while I had a fish on.I can't hear most bait clickers anyhow and you are casting lures mostly you don't need one.I would get the smallest Ming Yang and I think I will too.

jgp12000

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: jgp12000 on February 10, 2024, 05:42:58 PMI found the CL25 with the levelwind(140g or 5oz)on Temu,with free shipping,cheaper than Amazon if you can wait.

https://www.temu.com/goods.html?_bg_fs=1&goods_id=601099512288649&parent_order_sn=PO-211-20474363086711114&add_order=1&_x_sessn_id=xtt5gselsa&refer_page_name=bgt_order_detail&refer_page_id=10045_1707586503008_oo0u9ezqet&refer_page_sn=10045
Not to interrupt Jason's thread!
Buuut, have you ever purchased anything from Temu?
I heard that it's a Bait and switch site.
Sometimes you get the item in the picture and other times you don't. Was looking at Rod guides/blanks there.

jgp12000

This is the 2nd time, 1st was a free gift with my 1st order which was something under $10.I wouldn't spend much there until I see their service that's for sure.I will update when I receive the reel.

oc1

It's a slow boat from china.

happyhooker

I have used them but not often.  Their ads are a pain.  Shipping was actually quite fast in my case.  If I remember right, I paid with PayPal as a bit of added insurance.  Satisfied as to quality of what I got.

Frank

oc1

Quote from: jgp12000 on February 10, 2024, 11:28:40 AMSteve,I remember that Ming Yang post now,it looks to be of higher quality,some of the BPS crappie reel's reviews state line gets under the spool? I never heard of that on a baitcaster,but wouldn't wanna find out while I had a fish on.I can't hear most bait clickers anyhow and you are casting lures mostly you don't need one.I would get the smallest Ming Yang and I think I will too.

Most primative baitcasters can get light spectra line caught behind the spool.  It is just the tolerances they could achieve and they were designed around monofilament.

It's been years since it has happened to me.  That's not because the reels are any better but because I have adapted to it and avoid loose wraps and backlash at all costs.

JasonGotaProblem

It works! Throwing a free line shrimp into the breeze worked better than it has on any baitcaster combo I've tried thus far.

Definitely the biggest fish this reel has fought so far. Not sure if the same fish came back 5 minutes later or if I caught 2 similar looking redfish back to back. But in order to avoid any further confusion I brought him home the second time.

Tons of fun and super sporty both times.

jgp12000

Looks like a perfectly matched combo,reds fight good bet it was a battle on that BFS.I have caught redfish flat fishing years ago never seen a 2 dot.I just read some have 3?