New budget BFS build

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 07, 2024, 07:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: jgp12000 on February 23, 2024, 07:16:56 AMLooks like a perfectly matched combo,reds fight good bet it was a battle on that BFS.I have caught redfish flat fishing years ago never seen a 2 dot.I just read some have 3?
apparently they start out with a few and lose them as they age. I've seen 3 I've also seen zero.

And I've seen pictures of a subspecies that's covered in them. But I can't find it now.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

The Ming Yang CL25 came yesterday.I mounted it on a 5' Fin commander rod IM6.10lb Yozuri super braid with a 1/8 oz jig I can only get it out about 10 yards?I have some 6lb Kastking braid I may try? The combo feels good for being what it is a $20 reel(5oz).I haven't caught anything with it yet.I was hoping to be able to cast it farther, maybe the line, or cheap hardware dunno,or me.

JasonGotaProblem

Is it a synchronized level wind, and if so did you give it a good polish job? If not 10 yds isn't bad out of the box. I bet after a tune it'll do better.

oc1

I'm surprised you can get 30 feet.  Try removing the levelwind and filling the spool. 

But, you can't expect too much from that rod.  Try to find something longer and a rod rated for 1/8 oz lure.  A 4 wt fly rod would work too; and you can probably find a used one for cheap.

jgp12000

Yep I know the rod length has to be a factor,I have to sling it windmill style to get that distance.Certainly not for dock shooting or going under a limb,it may be good for trolling or live bait bottom fishing but fun nonetheless because it's so light.Yep Steve,once again not enough line I had a little of the yo zuri left I figured practice with it then try the 6lb braid.I imagine a 1lb
Crappie will feel like Jaws 4 on this rig.

JasonGotaProblem

I may try swapping the LC for a more traditional guide and see if it makes a difference. If anything it's the weight of that guide making me consider second guessing myself again.

jgp12000

I turn 61 next week,been fishing as long as I can remember 50+years,but still I learn something everyday.When Steve mentioned a wt 4 fly rod I took the bait & googled it.I have never heard of a Tenkara rod until today. In layman/redneck terms, it's a bream buster with a cork handle. Like Patina=Rust.It gave me an idea take a bream buster with some wet flies next time I find a bream bed :fish

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,38128.0.html

JasonGotaProblem

I have noticed I'm getting a lot more backlashes on this rod than I can explain thru poor technique. There may be something about my nonstandard layout that's driving this effect.

So I went ahead and swapped the first 2 guides, starting with an MN size 12. I'll go throw a few casts today and see if there's any improvement.

JasonGotaProblem

So far this rod has only caught redfish. This one is #4 (and at 23" was one heck of a fight)

steelfish

looks a really good fish for that light rod.
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Oh it was a good 3-5 min long fight and at a few points I was certain I wasn't gonna win. So needless to say it was exhilarating to bring him in.

So I never updated re: casting. Granted these shrimp are closer to the upper end of this rod's lure weight range, I did notice improved casting from moving to the MN guides. Really no difference in distance but less overruns.

This is the after pic. My wife didn't wanna eat blackened redfish twice in one week so I made gumbo instead. Redfish gumbo is the BEST gumbo. Very meaty fish. I swore it smelled like crab meat. Maybe that tells me a bit about his diet.

jgp12000

I can taste it !!!