161 lb Atlantic Halibut on a Jigmaster !!!

Started by 54bullseye, February 12, 2024, 11:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

I think the guy was lucky to get this one onto the boat !   John Taylor

alantani

nice! yeah, if you can get them off the bottom, you have a chance.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CooldadE

I wonder if the drag on that reel was as jerky at the beginning of the battle as it was at the end ? Nice Butt !

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Bryan Young

That's a big butt for the jig master. Fun watching the fight.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

If I wanted to keep a fish like that, I'd pour a shot of vodka on her gills. It works. Really.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Swami805

That fish was destined to die. Between the deckhands goosing it with the gaff and the sticky drag on the reel,it was a hard to watch. Beautiful fish
Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

A greased set of Bryan's 5 stack drags would have been smooth and sweet... But the little old Jiggy got her done !
I've never caught a big fish on any of my many Jigmasters. But I dud catch a 73" long x 34" girth White Sturgeon (prob 134 lbs.) with a Penn Leveline 350... (I think that reel has like Squidder size drags) 35 ft of water, on a clam bed with fast moving current. I was all all alone, 3rd time to the boat I was able to snare it. It was to big th pull over the side of mt 13'4" Gregor and had to pull it over the transom. I felt like the old man in the sea
https://alantani.com/gallery/32/1816_22_04_20_4_40_34.jpeg

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Keta

Quote from: alantani on February 12, 2024, 04:03:40 PMnice! yeah, if you can get them off the bottom, you have a chance.

Yup, halibut are a up and down fight and a Jigmaster 500 should be able to handle one, unless they have access to deep water.  A larger reel like a 113H or 349H would have been far better.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: akfish on February 12, 2024, 09:42:09 PMIf I wanted to keep a fish like that, I'd pour a shot of vodka on her gills. It works. Really.

Yup, instantly too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Keta on February 13, 2024, 01:43:28 AM
Quote from: akfish on February 12, 2024, 09:42:09 PMIf I wanted to keep a fish like that, I'd pour a shot of vodka on her gills. It works. Really.

Yup, instantly too.
What does it do?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

alantani

dunno, guys.  seems like a waste of perfectly good alcohol to me.   :d

Surfrat

What happens if you put alcohol into a fish's gills? The fish will suffocate then die quick.

This halibut was caught on a Jigmaster 505hs.

Keta

They get intoxicated and quit beating the deck of your boat.

Use the cheepest available Alan, the stuff that should be labeled "Not For Human Consumption".  It does not take much.

Mark Twain

alantani

in that case, use rubbing alcohol.  by itself, it's twice and intoxicating as ethanol but no one drinks it because it cause ten times the gastritis.  and, unlike methanol, the metabolites will not cause end organ damage.   :d

jurelometer

Any chance of the rubbing alcohol getting into the bloodstream?  Granted it is a small amount.

Also wondering if alcohol in the gill stops the heart faster.  Ideally you want to keep the heart pumping during bleeding.

-J