Surface iron rehab

Started by pjstevko, February 13, 2024, 02:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I have an older micro surface iron that needed a little TLC so I sanded it down and gave it a custom paint job for my trip to Florida in a few weeks.  Red head and white bodied lures do really well with snook and tarpon so hopefully this will fool a few of both!

Hardy Boy

Nice work. Looks good.... rings are sweet too.

Todd
Todd

Brewcrafter

That's a winner, let's see some fish!!! - john

Crab Pot

Nice work PJ.

Sure to bring results!
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

thorhammer

alantani

i grabbed a can of mint green rustoleum.  not very imaginative, but i think it will work!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crab Pot

Quote from: alantani on February 13, 2024, 03:32:27 PMi grabbed a can of mint green rustoleum.  not very imaginative, but i think it will work!!!

Mint is my go to color down south on the surface Yellowtail.

pjstevko

thorhammer

Sweet job, all around. Ya'll ever stick eyes on your irons? I've recently started using them down here on freshwater stripers. Found a few salas and tadys in a flea market that got lost I guess. They've been catching for me on breaking fish but also jigged down about 30 feet and jig/slow wind up.

John

Ron Jones

It will look better hanging out of a fishes mouth!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pjstevko

Quote from: thorhammer on February 13, 2024, 05:24:17 PMSweet job, all around. Ya'll ever stick eyes on your irons? I've recently started using them down here on freshwater stripers. Found a few salas and tadys in a flea market that got lost I guess. They've been catching for me on breaking fish but also jigged down about 30 feet and jig/slow wind up.

John

I haven't put any on one but a few companies sell them that way.

Crab Pot

Bass Pro has multiple eye sticker kits.

Sure others do as well.

I use them but others I fish with don't.

They seem to produce equally with or without.

JasonGotaProblem

I feel like the eye is to catch the fisherman.

I vote for googly eyes as an experiment.

I just thought of this as I was writing the above: live worms, the favorite meal of many (FW) fish species, generally dont have eyes at all. Doesn't seem to stop their effectiveness.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

akfish

Great job on the red and white paint but I'm curious: Are our west coast style surface irons used in Florida?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

pjstevko

Quote from: akfish on February 13, 2024, 10:41:16 PMGreat job on the and white paint but I'm curious: Are our west coast style surface irons used in Florida?

They are not commonly used as far as I know but I like to try different lures in different area. I even caught a stripper in Connecticut on a surface iron!