What are you working on?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, March 07, 2024, 03:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I know y'all didnt just go put down your screwdrivers because the site slowed down for a few days. What are you working on?

I just replaced the damaged and extinct drive shaft on this old calcutta with a shorter one from a different (unknown to me) Shimano from the new parts bin, and radically altered the drag stack and used a different shimano handle. Plus 5 points to the first to correctly identify where the drag star came from. I was surprised it fit.

The end result is I turned a parts reel-that I've been trying unsuccessfully to give away for a while-to a fancy looking loaner that I'm not worried about.

What have you built or rebuilt lately?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

OhReely

Ambassadeurs, three of them which came to me in mixed tackle purchases since 2021. I had put them aside because I was totally unfamiliar with them. All three didn't work when I started three weeks ago but they do now although one is missing a few key parts in the drag/drive area. I'm impressed with them.
5600C - 770800
6000C - 100800
6000C - 721100

Keta

Just finished 9 Penn Fathom and Torque reels and waiting for parts from Avet to finish 10 Raptors from SX to HX 3 speeds.

Building assist hooks and chafe leaders for a March 3 day BFT trip.

The snow and bad road condions has my main work on hold, I do not want to drive 30 miles on snow and ice and the work can wait.

Dealing with mud from melting snow.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Brewcrafter

To be honest, promised myself "No reel work" until I finished the remodel of our spare bedroom since Daughter is coming home for Spring Break next week and SWMBO would NOT be happy if she had to sleep on the couch (which is probably where I would end up!)  However, walls are patched, textured, and painted; baseboards painted, and carpet was deep cleaned/shampooed all finished yesterday!  So "rewarding" myself by going with a buddy to the PCS Show today and will hopefully see The Boss when we are there! - john

steelfish

working on repairing 12 loaners rods for a local charter captain, which have miscellaneous damage as 2 broken guide, 3 broken guides, many have the ceramic on the tiptops broken, etc
just finished to service and repair 6 avets, 3 raptors and 3 regular reels to another captain and about to start to rebuild a vintage/old calstar rod but a ex-captain of small charter from San Diego, Ca.
waiting for parts to finish to build my 114hXN
no plans for fishing offshore anytime soon, I have some workers taking the front metal fence of my house out for a full remodeling with a tall concrete fence and install a garage gate, after that I need to look for a more recent year car for my daughter in 5th semester of Med-school, the current one already started to give her problems and I cant attend those car problems being at 200 miles away  :-\   
The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

A few guide reels.

Todd.
Todd

ReelFishingProblems

Just picked up these side plates so I guess I will have to start sourcing the rest of the parts to make another 6500C3CT

oldmanjoe

All my fishing gear is up to snuff .  Cleaned up some n models that i pick up and cleaned up a nice early model 115 long key !!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on March 07, 2024, 09:44:43 PMJust picked up these side plates so I guess I will have to start sourcing the rest of the parts to make another 6500C3CT
nice. The drag star I used would feel right at home on that.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

Black Max BFS mod by your recommendation, Jason.This is my  1st southpaw baitcaster. It's nice not having to change hands to reel.I got the reel,BFS spool,& ceramic bearings for just the spool. I haven't held my mouth right yet to get the spool pin out yet, to replace one of the spool bearings.I don't have the tool, just a hammer,punch,wood block with hole in it? The spool is lightweight aluminum :o kinda scary (only tried my jeweler's hammer so far)...I strung it with 6lb pline flouro. I can cast a 1/16 oz crappie jig 35 yards.I had a new Daiwa Laguna 6.5' MH casting rod collecting dust to test it on,maybe with a lighter/limberer rod I could reely sling it farther.I am happy with it as is it's super lightweight! Dialed in perfectly I can't seem to make it backlash??? I certainly will never lose it with that handle that's fer sure...

Reeltyme

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 08, 2024, 01:51:30 AMAll my fishing gear is up to snuff .  Cleaned up some n models that i pick up and cleaned up a nice early model 115 long key !!
Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 08, 2024, 01:51:30 AMAll my fishing gear is up to snuff .  Cleaned up some n models that i pick up and cleaned up a nice early model 115 long key !!

That's a very nice Long Key. Good score there. They are getting harder to find.

oldmanjoe

:)    That one dropped in my lap , care of Jason .    Cleaned up , adjusted the out board bearings and squared up the seat and pillars .   Smooth and sweet .  :fish
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Crab Pot

So I cleaned my Power Mag 980 and 990.

Can't figure out the spool on the 980, it rubs, but I will. 990 is awesome.

Bought a 970 to complete the trifecta on the Power Mag's and wish I didn't win the auction...enough said there.

Also purchased two Ocean City reels, a 143 St. Lucie and a 935. Both with original boxes and catalogs.

Had a short visit from Wayne where he delivered some smoked Albacore!

Looking forward to Uncle Gavin's decree to open the ocean again because I haven't been fishing in ages.

Other than that not much.  8)
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

alantani

doing paperwork for the charters.  there are seven for sure, possibly up to nine, in the next 12 months.  gotta start on reels as soon as this is done. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Knocking out the backlog of reels to be built, repaired, serviced, sending out parts.

Couple of restored reels went up North to Bryan today.

Got 8 crates of DQ parts from a closed out shop.  About 15,000 to 17,000 parts here.  Most are in part numbered bags (80%).

But I need to take 2-3 days to get them into their proper storage bins, add more numbered bins, etc.

Changed out the CV axles on the Tacoma 4WD, will drop the rear 2-piece driveline in a day or two to install a new center support bearing assembly and (4) new u-joints.

Dealing with insurance quotes.  Finally done today, after 2 months.

Anyone need a brand new, restored old Mitchell CAP 305 (crank on right side for lefties).  $35.  Full restore with 95% parts new.

How about a nearly new Ambassadeur frame cage assembly with one side plate for $10?

It is like a new dawn —- having the website back up and running so well.

Thanks to everyone who was patient, helped, and knew what to do.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.