Mater Samich time

Started by jgp12000, May 24, 2024, 01:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I didnt plant a garden this year but a local stand has the best tomatoes! I don't know if it's a geographical thing but in the south
It is.

Fresh bread slathered with blue plate mayo,a 1/2" thick slice of a large 🍅 with lots of black pepper a touch of salt :al
Some add a slice of vidalia  onion :al

Mjg378

:cf  Ok.  Now I'm hungry!
Mike Grosman

rjones

Growing up on a farm ours wasn't so fancy. Ours went like this: pick a tomato find a clean spot on your britches wipe the tomato off then eat.
Rob

Midway Tommy

My wife grew up on a farm and loves tomatoes sandwiches, without the onion though..  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

I miss the "real" tomatoes of my youth, so much so that I don't buy them from the stores anymore. Yet another retirement project to find them at the farmer's market. Gotta be cautious cause they have some sellers there that buy from a store like Costco and resell at an inflated price.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

My uncle used to plant 100 better boys everyyear til he passed.They had alot of acid in em I havent been able to duplicate it.Tom Vidalia,Ga. onions for those that dont know are sweet & its the soil thay are grown in that makes them taste so sweet.I am not a raw onion guy either except for vidalia
& red onions on subs.If you ever pass thru our state be sure to get some along with peach ice cream & boiled peanuts.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jgp12000 on May 24, 2024, 03:00:08 PMMy uncle used to plant 100 better boys everyyear til he passed.They had alot of acid in em I havent been able to duplicate it.Tom Vidalia,Ga. onions for those that dont know are sweet & its the soil thay are grown in that makes them taste so sweet.I am not a raw onion guy either except for vidalia
& red onions on subs.If you ever pass thru our state be sure to get some along with peach ice cream & boiled peanuts.

Yeah, my dad used to eat them and white onions raw similar to apples, although he would slice them first.  :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Swami805

I just put in 6 betterboys a couple weeks ago. I won't eat the ones they sell at the store. They look like tomatoes but it ends there
Strawberries are another, they've bread all the flavor out of them to get bigger ones with a longer shelf life. We have one place that grows the old school ones, red all the way threw and the smell so good
Sometimes progress isn't progress at all
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

The best onions are Walla Walla sweet onions. It's ok to eat them just like an apple

Tomatoes around here are mostly greenhouse grown in BC. They're ok on a BLT, but not much good to eat as a stand alone on a sammich
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Reeltyme

Lived in the North and South. My opinion, The north has much better sweet corn, the south has the best "maters" (tomatoes). A tomato sandwich with a big slice of Vidalia onion,,,, almost as good as a cucumber sandwich! Life is good!

jgp12000

Cleaned 30 shellcracker this am,cut grass, BLT fer lunch :fish