Greased carbon fibre/carbontex drag stack and timeline between fresh is applied?

Started by Fish-aholic, March 20, 2012, 10:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish-aholic

Can I ask you knowledgeable folks - after I have greased a carbon fibre/carbontex drag stack with cal's drag grease; by the time the reel is due for it's next service; is it worth me cleaning the drag stack of the old cal's drag grease I applied months earlier and then reapply fresh cal's drag grease with every service?

At the moment, I do clean and reapply cal's to the drag stack after every service (star drag), but I am wondering if I am overemphasizing this to a point where I could leave the already greased drag stack with cal's for another term - or maybe even longer  ???

Thanks in advance!  ;)

wallacewt

some of my reels are untouched after 2years of the at treatment.if it aint broke !!
if i suspect water got in after a trip i do them as soon as possible.
others may do things different.
hope this helps

redsetta

Quote...if it ain't broke! if i suspect water got in after a trip i do them as soon as possible.
x2
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Fish-aholic, at the end of my fishing season Itake my reels completely apart and inspect every parts. If the drags feel and look good after my inspection, I let them go.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Agree absolutely Sal.
I often fish off a paddleboard or kayak, so my reels frequently take a dunking.
Likewise, if I'm fishing off a boat (or beach/rocks) in heavy conditions, they're likely to get a good soaking.
If so, I strip 'em, clean and relube the bearings, and check the drag stack for any water intrusion (regreasing where necessary).
If they don't get a soaking, I'll give 'em a quick rinse with warm water (with the drag tightened), dry with a clean towel, then leave for a few days to dry out fully in the hot water cupboard.
I'll usually strip and rebuild all my regular reels at least twice a year.
Cheers, Justin

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

mr alto mare,    how do you know if water got in ???
lets c
boat gets swamp
put reel in free spool,click on,dont want a birdsnest
while holding line drop over side to check depth.
dog mistakes it for a tree.
you lend it.
rod breaks,BIG FISH ON,reel gets covered in tears.
i may have missed a couple
hope this helps.

redsetta

Quotedog mistakes it for a tree.
you lend it.
Classic - mate, you're always good for a laugh.  :D ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: redsetta on March 21, 2012, 08:41:27 AM
Quotedog mistakes it for a tree.
you lend it.
Classic - mate, you're always good for a laugh.  :D ;D
Ok Wallace.
You must have written a couple of books in the past. If you didn't, get to it because I need to have them.
Love your lines ;).

wallacewt

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fish-aholic

Many thanks for the replies!  ;)

Quote from: alantani on March 22, 2012, 12:00:14 AM
Quote from: Nuvole on March 21, 2012, 09:19:57 AM
Quote from: alantani on March 21, 2012, 05:03:27 AM
re-grease maybe once every 10 years......  ;D

Seriously?

seriously!

I thought as much. Definately overemphasizing the regreasing of the drag stack and wasting expensive cal's drag grease (1oz pots). I knew I should of asked sooner lol - oh well, shame there isn't a 'slap your own forehead' smiley available on this great forum :)

Fish'aholic

Jim

Quote from: alantani on March 22, 2012, 12:00:14 AM
Quote from: Nuvole on March 21, 2012, 09:19:57 AM
Quote from: alantani on March 21, 2012, 05:03:27 AM
re-grease maybe once every 10 years......  ;D

Seriously?

seriously!

REALLY?
Given the heat repeatedly generated, humidity/water/salt, and the contamination of carbon shedding from the drag washers?
That makes me VERY uncomfortable.