450ss spool

Started by 92 feet down, March 24, 2012, 03:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

92 feet down

I have a Penn 450ss that I found in my Dad's garage.  It seemed in good shape.  I lubed the bearings.  However, I just tried putting some line on it, but the spool doesn't move vertically.  The line just bunches up in one spot.

Any suggestions?

redsetta

G'day 92, sounds like either the cross-wind block or cross-wind gear is damaged/worn.
Is the pin on the gear still intact?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

92 feet down

No.  There's no pin in the gear.  Just a hole.  Looks like I need to order a new gear.  Should I order the block & gear, just to be sure?

mizmo67

If the block doesn't look overly worn underneath where it rides on the crosswind gear, then it should be fine. If it looks worn down or chewed, replace it.

~Mo
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Alto Mare

As usual Justin was spot on. Here is a picture of the block, as Miz Mo mentioned.
This is from a bigger reel, but basically the same.

The block on the left needed to be replaces
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

92 feet down

Yep.  Need a new block, too.  I guess that's why my Dad shoved it into a shoebox in the Garage.

Thanks for all the help, especially the picture.

Alto Mare

Contact Miz Mo at scott's and she'll hook you up with the parts. Go ahead and fix it those reels are more valuable now. I just sold a used  one for a $100, it was too small for my fishing style. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.