Squidder pinion gear play?

Started by skrilla, March 25, 2012, 07:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skrilla

Is the Squidder's pinion gear supposed to have an abnormal amount of play when in freespool? For instance, when you're in freespool and go to turn the handle does it feel rough? With my 146 it's difficult to turn the handle in freespool but when in gear everything is normal. With my other star drag reels I can spin the handles in freespool without any play or slop. Just wondering if this is an issue (worn out pinion gear or yoke) or is it just the nature of the Squidder. Any insight is appreciated.

Norcal Pescador

I think you're on the right track. It could be either of the following: gears are shot or a bent yoke. When in freespool, does the spool spin easily? Has the reel been cleaned up inside or is it the original, now-turned-to-tar, lube? Squidders are good reels so this shouldn't be happening.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

skrilla

Thanks for your feedback.

I bought it used with this issue. I've cleaned and relube it and the problem still persists. It has freespool initially but if you turn the handle backwards (as far as the dog will allow) something stops the spool shaft. Retrieve is normal, actually caught fish my last couple trips. But casting can be a pain if the handle turns backwards causing the line to choke mid cast.

Don't think its the spool as I've tried a 140 spool and body and it still does it. Will try a new gear and pinion set along with a new yoke soon.

Norcal Pescador

With the backward rotation, it sounds like a problem with the dog and/or dog spring. ??? ???
How do the bearings feel?  Have you checked out the tutorial?  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30.0
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

akfish

Check out the yoke. Is it worn very much? That could be the issue.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska