My Penn 118 Stand is different

Started by dogdad1, March 25, 2012, 12:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

Hi –

This is a spin-off of my question from the Penn 118 Tutorial, as I didn’t want to dilute the flow of that thread.

Thanks for the info, Sal, both in your work in the tutorial itself as well as your response to me.  Unfortunately, I am even-more confused now than before.

My stand has a bow of about 7/16” in the middle, and close inspection of the metal doesn’t look like it was inadvertently bent.  If it was, I’d expect to see some additional and possibly uneven creases or perhaps even some flaking of the plating at the stress points/folds, but there is none.  Additionally, the bent ends at each end of the stand (for the screws) are in the correct alignment with where they’d meet with the plates, so I again assume this wasn’t an accident because if I bent the stand flat again, the ends wouldn’t match up at all.

My hole-spacing on the stand itself is right at 2 19/64 in, with a square diameter of 5/16 in.  I found a few 118’s on eBay and tried to extrapolate dimensions in their pictures, and in each case come up with just about the dimensions of the clamp I found in my spares-box (2 15/16 in spacing).  Which is much too big to fit on my stand, even with a bit of fudging (ie, ‘blunt-force persuasion’).

Any suggestions??

TIA, Ron
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Alto Mare

Hello Ron. Could you post a picture? It might be a custom job :-\. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

dogdad1

Well, ok.  I'll give it a try ...

And if the pics somehow don't show up properly, I'd say the stand looks just like the ones I've seen in other pictures - except for the hole-spacing.

Ron
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Alto Mare

Thanks for posting the pictures Ron.
The stand is the original and it is definitely bent. Try installing the bolts without the rod clamp and you will notice that they will tilt towards eachother, showing a shorter measurement at the tip of the bolts from the mounting holes. Check with Keta ( Lee ) about making the stand straight again, he does have some tricks up his sleeve. Good luck! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

The good thing about brass is it can be worked easy, the bad thing is it can be deformed just as easy.  

If you want to mail it to me I will fix it on my press, it looks like a 5-10 minute job. The ears where the screws go will have to be bent once the base is back to it's proper place.

Your base could use a trip to a famous Florida based powder coater.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3855.0;topicseen

The "damage" most likely happened over time due to brass being somewhat soft, the obvious bend is at the red lines but the ears (green line) have also bent.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Hey Lee, how about putting it in between a couple of 2x4s and squeezing it in a vise?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

That would work to get it close but you have to go over to account for spring back if you want it better.  My 30T press is gathering dust too now that I quit destroying spools trying to figure out how to remove the shaft.  So far its press, 4 Lee zero and I'm out of unusable spools.

BTW, a old plastic Jigmaster spool (not black) goes off like a hand grenade when trying to remove the shaft.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

dogdad1

Heh-heh-heh, now that's my kind of manual persuasion...  "If it don't fit, force it".

Yeah, the entire reel could use a trip to those good-guys.  I suppose I could get it powder-coated a nice flat sheen of green, then it would look like it did when I started. ;D    I wasn't sure there really was a reel under there at first, maybe I shoulda taken some pictures before I got into it.

I understand what you're saying, Sal/Lee (and many thanks for the offer to help. That's what makes this such a terrific site!), about making the stand flat again but I'm confused.  The spacing for holes in the stand are at about 2 19/64 yet the holes in my clamp are 2 15/16, or a stretch of about 5/8.  Even if the stand gets flat, is that where y'all are saying it can go?  What about compressing the clamp itself instead?

TIA

Keta

Clamp= Item 33-117 below?    
If so you have the wrong clamp for the base/stand.

D'oh!!!!   I went back and looked at the photo with the ruler in it, your clamp is not the right one.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Mark Twain

redsetta

Good advice Lee/Sal.
QuoteBTW, a old plastic Jigmaster spool (not black) goes off like a hand grenade when trying to remove the shaft...
Classic - I can just picture that.  ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

Quote from: Keta on March 25, 2012, 06:18:11 PM
That would work to get it close but you have to go over to account for spring back if you want it better.  My 30T press is gathering dust too now that I quit destroying spools trying to figure out how to remove the shaft.  So far its press, 4 Lee zero and I'm out of unusable spools.

BTW, a old plastic Jigmaster spool (not black) goes off like a hand grenade when trying to remove the shaft.

Lee, the shafts of the Penn Senator spools are all shrink fit.  We took it off only after heating it.  Cutting half of the spool off on the lathe did not move the other half.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Keta

Plastic spools stink when you heat them.  It looks like some chromed brass spools are shrink and press fit and then pressed on the ends.  The largest spool I've tried to take apart was a 60.

Mark Twain

dogdad1

Yeah, that's kinda what I'd been thinking.  But I haven't found any other clamps with the narrower hole-spacing.  Maybe that's why it was loose in the box and not on the reel.

I looked at bending/drilling the clamp I have, but it would make the clamp a lot more egg-shaped than rounded so I doubt it would shape very well on a rod.  I may simulate it later anyways with some plumber-strap or similar to at least eye-ball it.  Would it be too hard to bend without destroying it?

I found some great shots on eBay from a guy selling a 16/0 (2 days left, starting bid $945!) and it definitely shows that the holes in my stand are closer together.  Looking at picture #10 in his auction, his holes are outboard of where the stand makes a fairly-sharp notch downward and inward, whereas my holes are just about inline with the notch itself.  (BTW, I didn't post any of his as I'm not sure of any copyright stuff).

Two questions:
1)   So, if I have a Penn 118 stand but it's a different version than all of the others I've seen, what do I have?
2)   2) Where can I get a narrower clamp?

Thanks,
Ron

Keta

The 2-19/64" dimention has me confused, I've never seen Penn spacing in 64ths.  I'm assuming it is 1/64 longer at 2-5/16".

The spacing on a 114 clamp is close but it is a lighter clamp.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, the dimention is 2 3/4", center to center...as I mentioned  to Ron in my first reply.
The standard clamp will not work, unless you line up the bolts again.