A Penn Senator 9/0 joins the double dogs family

Started by Alto Mare, March 30, 2012, 02:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Thats a pretty killa tool there Sal , i will look for some or a set   1.5mm, make it easier instead of using whatever i can find that fits , can you use that one for a squidder gear sleave too?

I think ive seen Stanley ones that size in a set but 1.5 woulda  been the smallest.

Alto Mare

Sorry Harry, I just realized that I missed your question. Yes, the 1/16" pin punch will also work on other sleeves.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on June 25, 2012, 08:21:10 AM
you're sure it's not 1/8th!  ;D
Yes boss, I'm sure ;D. BUT you never know. About the sleeves that you sent me and Jason, He has to add a washer and I had to sand a little off the bottom :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

those gear sleeves are spit out of a c&c machine with incredibly tight tolerances.  what you are probably looking at is change in penn tolerances over the years.  even the stars were different.  some were loose, some were tight, some were right on. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

No complains here Alan, I liike them just the way they are. I don't know who the machinist is, but I think he did a great job.

JasonF

...and keep in mind that my 115 is chinese, so it may have different dimensions even though the parts are compatible with US made.

redsetta

G'day all,
Just been fiddling with my 10/0 and, using 1mm CF drag washers, managed to squeeze in a 9+1 configuration.
It's generating prodigious amounts of drag in this format (theoretically ~50lbs).
At this point, I've left it an alternating double-dog set-up to limit backlash (as per an earlier post in this thread), and figure the dogs, bridge, sleeve etc are strong enough to handle the torsional pressures.
However, if I set my sights on the larger of the NZ gamefish, I'll trim a little off the second dog and align their engagement.
Cheers, Justin
PS I also adjusted the upper dog leaf spring, adding another small curve.
It actuates more firmly and should be somewhat less likely to lose pressure over time.
Seeing as I've already reassembled, here's a wee mock-up pic of the additional curve (be sure it's a smooth bend and not an angle).
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Very nice, Justin. We need ss  sleeves for this reel, I've seen a couple  16/0's with rounded sleeve tip, one of them I'm showing it here on servicing a 16/0.
I'm building a 10/0 from parts at the moment and when I grabbed my bridge it didn't have the sleeve, I then remembered that i sent it to Lee to measure things out.  Me and Lee have been working on a project for this reel for almost a year, we're trying to make some parts stiffer. Can't give any ditails, simply because we're till not settle on it.
Due to the diameter of those washers, I believe you're doing better than 50#.
Sal

Jaredbolen

Alto, what would you say that 9/0 is worth? It's a beautiful rig.

broadway

Can't wait to see what you two whiz kids come out with... I'll take 4 sets please  ;D
PS- maybe more ;)
Justin, great diagram and innovative thinking!
Thanks
Dom

Bunnlevel Sharker

Do they ake a stainless pinion for a 12 or 14/0?
Grayson Lanier

Ron Jones

OK, I figured it out.
A page or two back we were talking about more teeth on the ratchet. Wouldn't it be perfect if we could get a sleeve designed like the Baja Special? More teeth and reliability from double dogging.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Changing the gear sleeve is relatively easy, the problem is a high minimum order for a run. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain