A Penn Senator 9/0 joins the double dogs family

Started by Alto Mare, March 30, 2012, 02:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

A little while ago my buddy Dom (Broadway) came accross a couple of very rare Accurate frames for a 9/0 and asked me if I would be interested in one. What a question! Thanks Dom! By the way don't send him any emails about them, he just doesn't have anymore. I had to put this frame to good use, so I purchased a 9/0 on ebay. The reel was quite dirty but it cleaned up nicely as you can see from the pics. So here are a couple of shots that I took of the reel.

I also installed the double ss dogs, if interested contact Lee (Keta). I'm showing a shot of the pinion, although this reel shares the same drags as the 114H the pinion gear is much beefier. I personally believe that this reel can be pushed to 30lb with no issues. I will be installing the ss sleeve as soon as I get a hold of one.

And here is the finished reel.

This is one sweet-looking reel.

I just want to mention that I do not use a power screwdriver with any aluminum frames. I tourque the screws by hand. Enjoy! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Great work Sal - yet another triumph.  ;D
Definitely a sweet-looking reel.
Planning to do my 10/0 next week - got the extra dog yesterday...
Cheers for sharing!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Sal:  Great job as usual.  Are SS sleeves out there for this reel?  If so where? 
Lee do you have SS dogs for this reel?  If so send me a couple with an invoice.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Sal says they are part 15-114H  I'll toss in another pair.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Sal does it again.

SS gear sleeves are available for this reel.  It's the same as a 6/0 SS gear sleeve.  I just cannot remember where to get it from.  I need 4 SS gear sleeves myself.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Lee, dogs are part# 14-115.
Dominick, the main gear is the same as the 114H, the pinion is different. You know, for a 16th of an inch we're not able to give this reel a little more speed, using stock parts.... not that it needs it.
Justin, go for it! These larger reels are much easier to do, well, I'm still trying to figure out a way for the 14/0 - 16/0.
Take your time with the 10/0, the plate on that reel is harder to get than the 12/0. I made mine a while back, but not ready for assembly, I need to get some more parts. I'm glad you're doing it. Good luck buddy, let me know if you need anything. Sal 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Thanks, Basto!

Thanks for the link Dom, but everytime I go there, I just can't bring myself to buy one. I believe that those guys have been watching us, $40 + shipping is just too much and I'm not a cheap person. Alan was selling them for $25 not long ago and he didn't even charge for shipping, I understand that the cost of material goes up, but I wouldn't pay over $30 for one...if I had too. If costs keeps going up, I'm going back to the stock sleeve, I can get those for around $7... if I place a nice order :-\. Thanks for trying though Dom, I appreciate it. Sal

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 31, 2012, 12:03:52 AM
Thanks, Basto!

Thanks for the link Dom, but everytime I go there, I just can't bring myself to buy one. I believe that those guys have been watching us, $40 + shipping is just too much and I'm not a cheap person. Alan was selling them for $25 not long ago and he didn't even charge for shipping, I understand that the cost of material goes up, but I wouldn't pay over $30 for one...if I had too. If costs keeps going up, I'm going back to the stock sleeve, I can get those for around $7... if I place a nice order :-\. Thanks for trying though Dom, I appreciate it. Sal

Ditto on that.  :(

Alan, will you ever have the ss gear sleeves for the 113h and 114h ever again?
George
viurem lliures o morirem

broadway

Sal,
   How can you go back to the brass sleeve? ... it's like riches to rags :-\
Wouldn't you lose a lot of drag pressure due to lack of strength?
The prices are steep, but we do need 'em, unfortunately!
Happy to see that frame turn a nice reel to a beast ;)
Dom

ShoreKasterHI

Wow what a nice reel if i were to get my hands on one like that it would just go in a case lol

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on March 31, 2012, 05:13:50 AM
Sal,
   How can you go back to the brass sleeve? ... it's like riches to rags :-\
Wouldn't you lose a lot of drag pressure due to lack of strength?
The prices are steep, but we do need 'em, unfortunately!
Happy to see that frame turn a nice reel to a beast ;)
Dom

You're right Dom, but I don't believe that you will lose any pressure with the brass sleeve. I should be able to get around 30lb with this reel, and it can handle it, but, from what I've seen in the past the tip of the sleeve won't. We definitely need them, I'm hoping that Alan will come through with them...he always does ;).
By the way, not to put you on the spot or anything like that, when are we going to see "Big Red" and its companion?