Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

just been given a penn longbeach 68 reel and 3 rods
penn mariner plus 15kg.looks ok
"          "        "    24kg  "       "
ugly 2 pc beach (its heavy)12ft
can i expect much from this reel

Leif

The Penn 68 has a large line capacity and the gears are small but strong(2.5:1). You can jazz it up a bit but it has it's limitations. I use it for Cod fishing(100ft or less) in the NE, Bluefishing and Striped Bass.

Here is one I customized a while back. It has an older accurate handle, Penn 268 Aluminum spool and the HT100 drags. It also has a custom Aluminum star drag and I have powdercoated the rings, seat and posts candy apple red.
I also installed a custom aluminum clamp.

HISTORY: The Long Beach Series featured 5 different models, all of which have been around since before 1941. It wasn't until 1999 that the first few models were discontinued by Penn. In 2000, two more models (Penn 267 and 268) were added to the Long Beach Series. In 2004 the last reel of this popular and long-lasting general purpose series was put together.

The 68 holds 500 yds of 50lb mono and the gear ratio is 2.5 :1 Most parts are available.

Leif  
Cod is King

wallacewt

thanks leif
whats the working drag,with the ht-100

Leif

Quote from: wallacewt on April 10, 2012, 12:34:32 PM
thanks leif
whats the working drag,with the ht-100

Never tested it for exact numbers but like similar Penn reels, 155, 500 ect, I would not put more than 8 or 10 lbs on the reel using the stock bridge sleeve. Stainless bridge sleeve, stainless washers and dry HT100 washers may get you a few lbs more.

You can get more drag on short runs but the reality is with such a small drag surface an long run with a higher drag setting may not be feasible.

Good luck with the reel. It can be useful if used within its capabities.

Leif       
Cod is King

Alto Mare

Wallace, its basically a 113 (4/0)  wide, with just a little more speed. It is still a slowpoke, just make sure you work out, if you're going to fish it deep. Still a nice old reel to have though.

Leif, great jpb on that 68. I personally wouldn't load it with 50lb mono, 30lb would be as high as I would go. BTW did you ever have any problems with the aluminum star wheel stripping? I tossed all of mine out....aluminum star doesn't make sense to me.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Leif

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2012, 04:53:21 PM
Wallace, its basically a 113 (4/0)  wide, with just a little more speed. It is still a slowpoke, just make sure you work out, if you're going to fish it deep. Still a nice old reel to have though.

Leif, great jpb on that 68. I personally wouldn't load it with 50lb mono, 30lb would be as high as I would go. BTW did you ever have any problems with the aluminum star wheel stripping? I tossed all of mine out....aluminum star doesn't make sense to me.

Alto,
Thanks. I wouldn't use 50lb either but that is the capacity. Like you said the size of a 4/0 wide. Never had a problem with the star wheel stripping but we rarely push them here to the limit where I fish.

Leif
Cod is King

Alto Mare

I know what your saying about the 68 showing 50lb capacity, but i just don't buy it. The 68 shares the same gears with 8 other models that are all rated to 30lb mono. I'm trying to figure out on what makes that reel special, an additional 20lb is a lot for a reel of that size.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

so how long does powder coat last, anyway.....   ???
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Leif

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2012, 06:34:22 PM
I know what your saying about the 68 showing 50lb capacity, but i just don't buy it. The 68 shares the same gears with 8 other models that are all rated to 30lb mono. I'm trying to figure out on what makes that reel special, an additional 20lb is a lot for a reel of that size.

Those are the specs Penn put on the reel to show capacity, I guess they did it because it is a larger reel than the others with the same gears?? I don't know. Nothing special about that reel. Just bigger than the others. I always thought it was a poor design for a reel to have such small gears and a large size. My dad used to use the reel in the 60's 70's and 80's for just about everything. It was cheap at the time.

Leif   
Cod is King

Leif

Quote from: alantani on April 10, 2012, 08:17:10 PM
so how long does powder coat last, anyway.....   ???

Alan, That powder coat will last forever if you don't use the reel! LOL.

If you bang it around it will scratch and chip. It's like powder coated car parts, pretty durable and heat resistant but if you take a screw driver to it or drop it on the deck it will get damaged.

Some finishes are better than others. I have some reels like the 155 that I use often and they barely have a scratch on them, but I am very careful with my gear. I coated a jigmaster in purple for a friend and it looked like it a disaster after one season.

Honestly, it looks nice in some cases, but not very practical.

Also, Thanks for sending out that SS Sleeve for my 113H! Got it yesterday.

Leif    
Cod is King

wallacewt

thanks for the replies,leif & sal
i figured 8lb without ever seeing or opening one.
ill clean it up when im bored.not my type of reel.