349 gear question

Started by Keta, April 12, 2012, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Does the 349 and 349H take the same drag washers? 
Will a 349H main gear fit in a 349?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

check the schematics at mysticparts.com.  it's in there somewhere.  they might all be different.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

349 drag washer 6-349, gear 5-349
349H drag washer 6-349H, gear 5-349H

I have a set of metal washers labled 349 but they are smaller than the 349 washers out of my reels, between 113H and 349 in size, and will not work.

I have the 349 parts but woud like to have one each of the 7-349H drag washers for a dag upgrade project and I'd like to convert one of my 349s to high speed.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

dawn has 349 washers.  check with her. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

She lists the 349H and I didn't see 349, I'll ask her when I make my next order.  The keyed 349 washers are thicker than the eared ones and I think I can get more fiber washers in the gear if the keyed ones were the same thickness as the eared ones.

Mark Twain

redsetta

I'd be interested to hear how you go with this Lee.
I've recently added a mint 349HC to my repertoire and can't upgrade to a 5+1 without another eared washer - which is unavailable (ie 3 x keyed 113H and 2 x eared 349HC).
In the meantime, I've doubled six 6-113H HT-100s (ie three groups of two) to replace the original thick fibre washers.
If anyone does have a spare eared 349HC metal washer, I'd bee keen to hear.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

If I had the OD of a 349H keyed washer I can have some cut using the rest of the dimentions off the 349 parts I have. 

The bottom 2 349 washers just got cut, I told them to not cut the hole in the eared washer until I checked it in the gear.

The keyed washers in my 349s are thicker than the eared ones, the new ones are the same thickness as the eared ones but can be made thinner if that is what it takes to get 5 or so Carbontex washers in the stack.

Mark Twain

George4741

Okay guys,  here is what I know.

I have a set of metal washers for both the 349 and 349h.  Here are the outer dimensions.  
349 diameter 1.105"
349H and 349HC diameter 1.235"

The inner diameter is the same for each as they both use the 113h gear sleeve.

The 349 drag washer diameter is slightly larger than the 113h (6-113h) so there is really no advantage in trying to custom fit a more exact fitting ht-100 washer (that is my opinion ;D).

I have been trying to find a 349 on ebay (1:2.3 ratio) but everyone who replied said that their's is the faster 1:3.25 ratio.  So, I purchased the necessary parts to assemble my own.  I bought a main and pinion gear, pinion yoke, and metal drag washers.  The side plates are identical for both reels.  I bought the set of 349 metal washers on ebay, but that seller doesn't have any more of them. :'(  I don't know of another source for 349 metals.  If I had an extra 349 eared washer I could easily make up a 1+5 drag stack for that reel, too.  Dawn has 349h metals so you can make up a 1+5 drag stack for that reel (I've done that to my 349h).

I hope this info is of some use to you.

George  

viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

That's great - thanks George.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

Lee,
If you are making 349 eared metal washers (not 349H) could I commission you to make me one, too?  I'll pay you any reasonable price.  That way I can make a 1+5 drag stack for my 349.  I also have two extra 349H keyed washers, if you need them.  Although, like I said, Smooth Drag has them in stock.  

George.
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

Quote from: Keta on April 12, 2012, 05:23:56 PM
Will a 349H main gear fit in a 349?

It would help if I answered your first question.  Yes, but you must change both the main and pinion gear, and pinion yoke.  

BTW, all three of my Master Mariner right sideplates are marked "349" but are the high speed 349H model.  I am beginning to believe that there aren't any sideplates marked with 349H or 349HC.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Thanks George.  
I have 3 349s, one 1 lever the others 2 lever.  I'll look for the parts to make one a 349H.

Mark Twain

El Pescador

Now that's dang interesting!!
I just purchased a Penn 349, and checking the reel speed, one turn of the handle results in 3.2 turns of the spool.
Either way, it is now my 40 lbs. reel for Tuna in Cabo, Halibut in Alaska & flats shark fishing in the Keys.
Tight Lines...

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Keta

I just measured my washers and it appearers that my 349s are all 349Hs....now I have to turn one into a 349 ;D

Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on April 13, 2012, 01:53:28 PM
Now that's dang interesting!!
I just purchased a Penn 349, and checking the reel speed, one turn of the handle results in 3.2 turns of the spool.
Either way, it is now my 40 lbs. reel for Tuna in Cabo, Halibut in Alaska & flats shark fishing in the Keys.
Tight Lines...
Hey Wayne:  Did you change the washers to HT-100s or smoothdrag?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.