COMPRESSED AIR

Started by LTM, April 18, 2012, 08:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hey Guys,

Need your help!  I need a reasonable/economical alternative to cans of compressed air.  Currently Im on my third six-pack of compressed air in as many months.  This represents $60 ($19+tax each from Costco); which has pressed the need/issue of an air compressor for reels and many other projects.

Here's my current situation; need the compressor to be as quiet as possible (I know compressor and quiet is an oximoron) especially when I use it at nite.  I also understand that oil-less compressors burn out and arent worth the money aside from being very noisy.  Lastly monies is a consideration, I need to keep this below the $100 mark.

This is one of my thoughts on the solution.  Since my main concern is compressed air maybe I can use a "air-brush" compressor since I have some project's that need to be air-brushed.  Looking online at Harbor Freight for some comparative specification's I found that the air-brush compressor's deliver 58CFM's of air pressure compared to the typical 125-150 CFM's of the typical compressors.

So, does the air-brush compressor deliver enough SUSTAINED pressure for cleaning parts AND is it quiet enough to use in a
condo/apartment environment?  PLEASE LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS, I NEED COMPRESSED AIR!!  >:(

lEO

Bryan Young

Um, no.  You will need a compressor with a tank to achieve the airflow you will need to blow out the stuff in bearings.  It's possible to get a compressor and a separate tank where you can fill up during the day, and use at night.  that would be my option.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i leave mine on all the time and it's really noisy. i do that just to annoy my wife.  try it sometime.  it works great!!!!!!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

LOL @ Alan.......    ;D   Brave man.... 

The canister option (converted Propane tanks etc) is the best way to go, you can get them in many sizes and even fill them at Neighbors or a gas station???   
Compressor in the garage and filling there is Best/fastest/easiest...
Turn off compressor at night (unless your as brave as Alan).. LOL
I have buddies that Off Road a lot in clubs and groups.   They have converted Diving Tanks to hold the air they need, and strap them to truck beds etc..   Hold a whole lot of air...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

Couldn't a second-hand dive tank be used?
All you'd need is an appropriate connection (and/or regulator) to attach an air duster gun like the one pictured below.
It'd no doubt last well and could be refilled down the local dive shop for next to nothing.
Been thinking about this for a while, but haven't had the opportunity to test the theory yet...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: redsetta on April 18, 2012, 10:30:39 PM
Couldn't a second-hand dive tank be used?
All you'd need is an appropriate connection (and/or regulator) to attach an air duster gun like the one pictured below.
It'd no doubt last well and could be refilled down the local dive shop for next to nothing.
Been thinking about this for a while, but haven't had the opportunity to test the theory yet...

You're spot on Justin. I used one for a while. Took a single hose regulator and cut off the fitting that attaches to the mask. Attached a quick-disconnect fitting with hose clamps and was set to go with a blow gun, tire inflater, and ??? The first stage reduced the pressure down to about 125#PSI (don't know what that is in kpA) and it worked like a champ. :) Much better than Alan's method of irritating the cook. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

QuoteMuch better than Alan's method of irritating the cook. ;D
:D ;D
Cheers Rob - good to know it works.
Now to find an old dive tank...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: redsetta on April 18, 2012, 11:38:44 PM
QuoteMuch better than Alan's method of irritating the cook. ;D
:D ;D
Cheers Rob - good to know it works.
Now to find an old dive tank...

Remember, not one too old or at least one that will pass inspection. Very strict here in the colonies about high pressure tanks being safe and it wouldn't be filled if you weren't a certified diver. If it won't pass, you're limited to whatever you can coax out of a friend's compressor.
A 3000#PSI will give you more volume of air 80 cubic feet rather than 71 in a 2200#PSI tank.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on April 18, 2012, 09:57:22 PM
i leave mine on all the time and it's really noisy. i do that just to annoy my wife.  try it sometime.  it works great!!!!!!  ;D
Alan: I sent a copy of this page as an attachment to an email to Joy.  Don't go home tonight.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Be careful Alan... Dominick probably did, seriously ;)

Alto Mare

You could convert many tanks, but keep in mind that the kit alone will cost you over $25. I would go with the tank that I'm showing above.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

Thanx Guys,

Thank's all of you for your comments, except Alan; his solution would have me homeless  ;D.  What I need to do now is find out what would be considered too old of a scuba tank, cost of the two size's tanks, cost to refill said tanks, size and weight of these tanks (space and monies are limited).  Also need to consider if these scuba tanks can be refilled at a local garage/gas station (some dont have adequate compressors); come to think of it there's a dive shop not too far.  If I can use a local garage I will definitely use my inline filters on them to maintain the tank.  If for whatever reason the scuba tank doesnt work for me I will take Sals suggestion and use the conventional 5gal tank. Any ideas on relative time between refills for these tank options?  NorCal, must I have a regulator for the scuba tanks or can I use fittings to enable a quick disconnect coupler?

BTW, I need to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your excellent/expedient/cutting-edge knowledge. In a matter of weeks of applying the knowledge along with the pictures (instrumental in my growth); my experience has grown exponentially where I can "fly with the Eagles (like you pro's) on some occasions.  Like other's have said regarding this forum, no-one with commercial intrests/ties for the sake of marketing.  Cant tell you how much my brain appreciates and feeds off of "PURE KNOWLEDGE" which this forum provides: Thank you Alan as founder and mentor and the rest of you "Eagles" for your input which make-up this great forum.  DO NOT CHANGE A THING!! Thanx to this forum I've rebuilt my reels, taking them down to the smallest part (bare frame and removal of drive shaft). I've completely rebuilt my Toriums, Saltiga's, Avets, Luna, Calcutta TE300, Coastal, Abu's 4600 & 5500, CVX, Diawa LD30/50H's, 113HN's (Tanking these thanx Sal & Lee).  I've got more to do and even my spinners (I AINT FRAID OF NO GHOSTS  :o :o :o) all thanx to this forum and it wonderful members.  Thanx again for your support.

Final thought, lets start a new post on your top 3 reels you would enter in the hypothetical "Annual Alan Tani Free Spool Contest".  We could have catagories if you like or whatever.  Me being the "humble pigeon" that I am would like to see what the rest of you "Eagles" and others have to say.  A little "competitive-talk" would ad some excitement along with some estimated free-spool times; and as fisherman ourselves we all know about the estimates of fisherman (dont get too long of a Pinochio nose). Thank you all.

Leo

Keta

A dive shop will not fill an uncertified tank and with the high pressure in a scuba tank filled at a dive shop you will need a regulator for safety.  You might look around and find a tire, weld or machine shop that will let you fill a tank.  My current portable tank is a store bought one with a cert. tag like the one Sal linked to but I've used decommissioned propane tanks in the past.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Brendan

I had know idea Dominick was so evil.