Another curado 300 question...

Started by flyforfish21, May 08, 2012, 10:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyforfish21

Ok,

here's my most recent frustration. Have worked on a few curados (including my own) recently and they all have a light "clicking" noise on the retrieve, but only when resistance is added. So whenever reeling in a lure/fish, there is an audible clicking. It's not once a revolution (spool/main gear), But more several clicks per handle turn. The click is not loud, but loud enough to bother me.

I've checked the following parts to try and figure this out to no avail:

-Spool bearings
-spool
-pinion gear
-main gear
-yoke
-Pinion bearing
-Anti reverse bearing
-worm gear pawl
-worm gear
-spacers under spool bearings (fiber like material)
-Drive shaft bearing/bushing (depending on model)

Pretty much have taken the reels down a million times it seems and can't figure this one out, so i'm coming here for some help :-\

One thing i've noticed, it the reel does not have this characteristic when the spool is out and pressure applied to the pinion gear. So i'm at a loss, can't seem to figure this one out.

Thanks everyone in advance for any help you can lend.

Geoff

flyforfish21

Everyone is just as confused as me it seems :-\

I'll keep grinding and try and figure it out. Anyone with any suggestions, feel free to add anything!

Geoff

Bryan Young

I thnk Jonathan has working a tons of Curados.  I think he is out fishing as he is a Decky on the New Gravy out of Half Moon Bay.  You may need to wait until his return to fixing fishing reels again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

flyforfish21

The waiting is the tricky part, gotta get one back out tomorrow. Got a few suggestions from a guy at shimano, so we'll how it plays out!

Thanks for the response ;D

Geoff

Nessie Hunter

I have worked on a lot of Curado's also. Never had that issue & it is confusing??!!!??
Trying to picture/think what it could be, but coming up empty!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

flyforfish21

I know, me too.

No apparent damage to any part that i could see, both to the naked eye, and magnified.

Not sure what else it could be at this point...

Geoff

Biggameaddict

Have you looked at the schematics? Make sure everything is in place so you didn't have anything out of place or extra then try it out again. Good luck

flyforfish21

Yeah, everything is where its supposed to be. I though maybe even a bent e-clip on the driveshaft, but nope...

Nessie, if your work load isn't too heavy and you don't mind taking a look, i could send the reels(3) your way. Let me know

Geoff

redsetta

G'day Geoff,
I've seen a lot of Curados, but don't remember coming across this problem before.
I assume you've checked the nylon levelwind gears (#3490 and 3696 on the 300E, here: http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Low_Profile/09CU300E_v1_m56577569830654406.pdf).
If they're even slightly damaged, tiny bits of nylon can be left jammed between the teeth, causing an intermittent  'bump' as the opposing gear's teeth pass over them.
I'll have another look at my 200E7 this weekend and see if anything else comes to mind.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

flyforfish21

Yeah, i did look at those too.

Its happened with the last three 300's in a row, something i'm doing isn't sitting right or something. I'll have to break it down and clean everything again, and see where it gets me.

Thanks for any and all help guys, i appreciate it.

Geoff

Ohrichie

Shot in the dark. Recently had a similar problem. Found the cog wheel below the main gear was bumping the cam just enough to make a noise.
I would count the clicks per revolution and count the teeth on the cog wheel. If they match you got it. I ended up taking a bit off of the diameter
of the cog wheel.

Nessie Hunter

Not busy at all...  :-[
Would do it for free (Im curious also), just pay shipping...
Shoot me a PM if you get to that point....
Im in the high desert (Hesperia 92345) of So Cal..

But try the above first, sounds like it could be your answer?????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

flyforfish21

Yeah, will try the above as soon as i get the chance. If that fails, i'll get them you to nessie, and make you charge me ;)

Geoff

fisher480

I had a similar problem with a friend Curado 300E. I fitted carbontex drag washers and new ADEC 5 ceramic berings and noticed the problem when we were fishing. I re lubed to bearing a few times and the problem disappeared. I was puzzled over the problem too as I own all Shimano baitcasters and have not experienced this one before.