1+7 Drag Washer Stack in a 113H

Started by George4741, May 15, 2012, 09:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Yes, it can be done!

All of the metal keyed and eared washers are thin, except the last one, which is thick.  Five of the carbontex washers are .5mm thick, the other two are 1.0mm thick.  Ideally, I want at least the first six carbontex washers to be .5mm, but I didn't have enough of them so I threw the other two thicker ones in the mix and it still works.  

Here is the drag stack assembled in the main gear.  Note how the third eared washer is flush with the edge of the gear.   A thick carbontex and thick metal keyed washer are on top.  The .5mm carbontex washers are Smoothdrag's #39 with the hole enlarged to fit on the gear sleeve.  

Here's some background info that led up to my idea.

I needed some very thin carbontex washers for a Penn 349, and remembering how norcal pescador used some #10 .5mm thin carbontex washers to save space in his 111 Senator for a 1+5 configuration (thanks for the idea, Rob! :)), I decided the thin #39 washers would fit the bill.  After seeing how little space the drag stack took up in the 349, I realized that it may be possible to do a 1+7 drag stack in my 113H.  And, IT WORKS!

This project may not even be practical.  I imagine that the existing gears and gear sleeve may not hold up to an increase in drag pressure and should be replaced with stainless.  Would this reel even see an appreciable increase in drag pressure?  Will the thin carbontex washers hold up under hard use?  What are other disadvantages of this project?  One thing is for sure, considering the light and infrequent salt water fishing that I do, I will never be able to fully wring out my 113H mod.

Your thoughts?
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Very nice George, that stack has to generate ove 30lb of pressure. It might be too much for the stock gears and sleeve, but I don't believe that it would be a problem with my reel/tank. Thanks for sharing George, I would also like to know if those thin cf washers hold up under that much pressure. Could you give me the size of your metal washers? My thinnest is .94mm. Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Sal,
My metals average .933mm thick.  They are standard penn parts.  If I had another .5mm carbontex instead of the 1.0mm, the last eared washer would set even further down into the main gear.

I thought of your Tank after I completed my mod.  I believe that if any 113H could effectively use an increase in drag, it would be yours.

BTW, you, Alan, Rob, Lee, and many others here, too numerous to mention, have inspired me to "look outside of the box".      
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Nice work!

The 349H washers I had made are just short of .060 and .050 thick, 113H washers can be cut from the same material.  (I'm assuming yours are .0933, .933 is almost an inch thick).  

With more contact surface we should be able to get acceptable drag with less pressure on the drag stack and not need to max out the star or ruin the stock gears by pushing them beyond there design.  Being able to get 20-25lbs of smooth drag on a 349H will make me happy, anything more will be good but I'm planning on fishing with 50lb and 60lb line on my newly revived 349s...and the "new" one.

One thing I'm working on with the 349H is bellville washers to buffer the loading, with little turning of the star the 349H goes from almost enough to too much drag as soon as the spring washers compress.  Alan provided me with some belvilles for a 113H I'll be testing as soon as I get the irrigation system working.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on May 16, 2012, 02:34:21 PM
The 349H washers I had made are just short of .060 and .050 thick, 113H washers can be cut from the same material.  (I'm assuming yours are .0933, .933 is almost an inch thick). 

Lee,
I meant .933mm (millimeters) which equals out to .036 inches.  I also like the idea of getting higher drag pressure with less effort on the star.
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

I just finished the 349H upgrades, the 2 SS 113H Bellville washers Alan gave me worked when put between the spacer and the star, ().  Now I'm going to make my Tiburon nar
row framed 113H double SS dog reel a 1+7.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on May 30, 2012, 03:17:33 PM
Now I'm going to make my Tiburon narrow framed 113H double SS dog reel a 1+7.

That's great, Lee.  I was hoping others would try it.  I hope you report the results on this forum.  I'm very interested.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

pompano joe

Pompano Joe

Keta

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pompano joe

Pompano Joe

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D