Penn International's

Started by john2244, May 27, 2012, 12:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

TOP ROW:  Penn 20, 20T, and couple of Penn 30's
On the bottom:  Penn 16 VSX, 30 VSX, and a 50 VSX.

The following work has been done to the reels on the top row:  
2 speeded with a 1.2:1 low gear, topless Baker Frames, large T-Bar handles,
blueprinted, new casting bearings, sleeves, and new dura-drags.

The Penn 16VSX and 30VSX have been blue printed, new lower gears, and  T-Bar handles.
The Penn 50 VSX is a stock reel except for the handle.
John

redsetta

Wow John - you kept some of the best till last!
Love the topless frames, especially on the 20s.
Awesome.
Cheers for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

hi john   now those reel clamps that take the lanyards,
are they standard from penn?
a lot of reels shown dont have better clamps.
just noticed the black ones also
good stuff

Bill B

Good stuff indeed...like the fact they have line in them and they're being used....anything more you'd like to show....can't wait for the next post. ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

doradoben

Very nice, John. I especially like the older Internationals. The Baker frames with harness lugs in the back, instead of on top are very cool.

alantani

phew!  that couldn't have been cheap! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

Walla, The black reel clamps on the old Penn 20's and 30's is the standard clamp for
the Penn 30VSX and 50 VSX.  I like the clamp and use the old 20's and 30's the most so I put the clamp on those reels.
The gold reel clamps were an after market purchase.
John

George4741

Very impressive, John.  I think I drooled on my keyboard and damaged it. ;D

BTW what is the purpose of the single lug on the right rear of some of the reels?
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

George, good observation. The way I palm the reel the left side lug bothers my left hand when fighting a fish.  I removed the lug and filed it down to where it would be flat with the reel and then replace it.  I left the right side lug in place in case I need to attach a backup rod and reel.  The backup can be attached to the right side lug and the reel clamp.  I have not had to do that yet but I have seen it done a couple of time.  I still need to do the 30 and 50 VSX.

John

Alto Mare

Wow John! And I thought you were done. Alan should name you "The Penn Man" ;D. I don't own any International Yet, but that 20 is looking better and better every time I look at it. What kind of drag do you get out of it and what have you been using it for? Do you like it? Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Sal,
All of these International's and a couple of Accurate ATD 50's I use for fishing Tuna in the 150# to 300# class.  I have yet to catch a 300# YFT but I keep trying.  All of these reels except for the 16 VSX are set up to fish 28# at strike and get about 42/44# at full.  The key is to have very good free spool at your strike setting because we are flylining live sardines.  I am sure I can get more at strike with good free spool but 26/28# at strike is where I like to fish. Often when fighting a fish I am fishing below the strike level. With the work that has been done on these reels the drag curve is very smooth from 2 to 28#'s. The Penn 20 is heavy but is still by far my favorite reel because of the narrow spool.  The down side is the amout of line it will hold.  On the right fish it could be a problem.
John

Alto Mare

John, one of the reason I'm interested on the 20 is that I've used a 50 wide on tuna before. Here in the NE the few charters that I've been on all had the gold Penn's and I remember having a tough time trying to keep the line flat on that 50W.Thanks for the info. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

John,
May I ask who did the work on your Int 20's?  I have a 20 that is very clunky and noisy, first generation drag and all.  I'm sure a new drag will smooth it out, but will the dogs always be noisy?  I'm trying to decide if it is worth while to send it to Cal (or someone else) for an upgrade. 
Thank you, George   
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

john2244

George,

Yes, Cal did all the work.  I think Cal told me one time at the Fred Hall Show that he will not work on a Penn reel if he is not able to install the Dura drag.   The dogs are not as loud in my 20T as they are in my 20, not sure why.  I don't hear the dog noise as much in my 20's as I do in my 16 VSX and my old 16S.

John