A selection of reels

Started by redsetta, June 04, 2012, 04:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day all,
Just thought I'd add a post to the 'show and tell' thread...
Most of these are everyday, working reels.
You're likely to have seen several of these before, in various tutorials etc.
All have CF drag, double-dogs (where appropriate) and various other Tani additions etc - S/S sleeves, upgrade handles etc.

Tiburon Penn 112H, spooled with 20lb mono.

Tiburon Penn 113H 'Tank', spooled with 80lb braid.

The 'big boy' 10/0, spooled with about a kilometre of 80lb mono.

Jigmasters...

Like many of the reels here, this 505 was a throw-away which I revived.
It has CF drag, S/S sleeve and Newell 5:1 gears.

Penn 505HS.

Penn Newell '99' Jigmaster, spooled with 30lb braid.

Tiburon Jigmaster, spooled with 30lb mono.

Assorted other Penns.

Penn 309.

Penn 349HC.

Penn 8500SS and 9500SS, spooled respectively with 40lb and 80lb stripie braid.

Two TLD 15s and a TLD 10.
All have CF drag, upgraded bellevilles etc.
One holds 50lb Spectra, the other has high-quality 30lb Suffix cammoflage mono.
The TLD10 is spooled with 20lb mono.

This was thrown away by a shop after a customer overwound the preset and pushed the drag to sunset.
Naturally the main bearing went 'pop' and the shop left it out the back (in parts) for a few years, before giving it to me...

Various other regular workhorses...

The Curado is probably my preferred inshore snapper reel, spooled with 12lb braid.

The 'bruiser' - Daiwa Ventura 60, spooled with 50lb mono.

And the latest addition, a Newell C220-5 with Alan's cracker 2/0 handle upgrade, spooled with 20lb braid.

All the above reels were either throwaways or built from collected parts, except for the 112, 10/0, '99', 349 and Newell 220.
Not a patch on some of the collections profiled here, but hopefully of some interest nonetheless.  ;) ;D
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

kamuwela

very nice looks like you need a show case, most of those look perfect

john2244

broschro

George4741

Quote from: redsetta on June 04, 2012, 04:04:45 AM
All the above reels were either throwaways or built from collected parts, except for the 112, 10/0, '99', 349 and Newell 220.
Not a patch on some of the collections profiled here, but hopefully of some interest nonetheless.  ;) ;D
All the best, Justin

Nice collection of reels.  Some of them look new.  I'd like to see what other treasures "those people" were throwing away.  The Daiwa is especially neat.  It's good to see you keeping the "old bruiser" alive and well.
viurem lliures o morirem

Dominick

Justin:  Thanks for taking the time to share those photos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Justin,

Nice selection!  I'm loving the handle on the Daiwa Venture... greta to see a spooled up 10/0 in actual use... that 349hc is in great shape and love the handle, the tib'd framed 112 and 113 look like mine, nice choice ;) Thanks for showing!
Dom

Alto Mare

Nice reels Justin and they all have your special touch ;). Thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Great bunch of reels you have built up Justin. They are nearly all spooled up and ready for action.. Looking forward to your report from Three Kings soon. ;D
Please  let us know what tackle you used there too.
Good Luck.

redsetta

Cheers lads - much appreciated.
Re: the 'throwaways', they were all in various states of disrepair.
The little Daiwa Dynastar was cobbled together from three discarded reels.
The Curado had split in two (ie the spool had burst and the frame tabs blown off) after being spooled too tight on a machine.
The 113H 'Tank' and the Tib Jigmaster started out as two sets of maroon side plates and bridges.
Likewise, the 505 was a right-hand side plate and bridge.
You've probably seen the 9500SS story - just a frame and spool to begin.
The 8500SS was made from parts.
The 320GT2 was made from three throwaways, another of which eventually became a gift to a mate who dropped his 7500SS over the side (I'd built him that one, too ;) ;D).
The 309 was a real surprise - a dusty old box of parts that turned out to be a 'barn find' minter.
I also forgot to mention earlier that the Spectra TLD15 was the first reel I bought myself (more than 25 years ago now), and the TLD10 was bought third-hand from Albert a few months ago.
All the best, Justin
PS Tom - everything 50lb and above will (one day) be coming to the Three Kings, but the money I'd saved is now paying for my wife to return to Ireland and help her father recover from cancer surgery.

Dominick

Quote from: redsetta on June 04, 2012, 11:49:07 PM
PS Tom - everything 50lb and above will (one day) be coming to the Three Kings, but the money I'd saved is now paying for my wife to return to Ireland and help her father recover from cancer surgery.
Justin:  Sorry to hear this news.  Your father-in-law has now been added to the prayer list.  All my best to him.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Thanks Dominick, you're a good man.

basto

Very interesting collection., especially the Daiwa Ventura. Thank you.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Dave Bentley

Quote from: redsetta on June 05, 2012, 12:21:04 AM
Thanks Dominick, you're a good man.

Don't know about the rest of you reel nutters but I reckon that's about the best compliment a bloke can receive.

"You're a good man"

Good luck to your father-in-law
Only believe that which you know to be true.

alantani

Quote from: redsetta on June 04, 2012, 11:49:07 PM

good luck!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!