What Model Senator??

Started by mdw46, June 09, 2012, 06:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdw46

I have a 114H special 6/0 Senator , Red , High Speed Ball Bering's .With a Sail Fish on the left side plate , When I look for parts there are about a dozen model's !! What it ment as far as full frame and half frame ?

onemako

you are experiencing the same problem I had with the ll3 look at my post and it has a lot of similar answers. If I am correct the penn with 5 posts is considered no frame because the sideplates are held together by the rods. The full frame uses less rods or no rods not sure on the 114. I pulled all the schematics that everyone told me about here to finally figure out my mode. Penn is a tricky little animal. Hope my two cents helped

Alto Mare

Onemako, you gave a good explanation. Frame posts are usually 5 plus the stand, they also come as  spacer bars, one in the front and back plus a single frame post on top and the stand. A half frame is shaped like a U and it comes with one frame post for the top,  a full frame wraps all the way around as one piece. If you're going to replace the frame posts, it will set you back around $20. I'm going to recommend a Tiburom frame, it's a little more but it will keep that reel aligned. If you're going with the full Tiburon frame, contact Alan he might have some left. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mdw46

By mdw46 at 2012-06-09

Irish Jigger

As Sal, (Alto Mare) has said, your reel is the No1 on Scotts specification ref link below.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/Penn114H.aspx

From looking at the corrosion on your reel I would agree with Sal that it would benefit from an after market Tiburon frame.
Good Luck with your renovation, they are great reels.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

mdw46

Thanks Jigger , Thats the page I needed

Bryan Young

What would you like to do and fish with that reel.  What is your budget?

As a minumum, I would go with the aluminum spacer bars.  It will replace the two lower posts on the front and back.  I'm sure we have some floating around.

Moving up, an aluminum frame from Penn, Tiburon or Accurate (if you can find one).  They will be either half frame, open frame (no top cross bar) or full frame.  I have yet to see Penn's full aluminum frame.  I wouldn't mind comparing it to Accurate's full frame.

let us know and I'm sure these guys can help you and steer you in the right direction.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

suitekids

Well Bryan, I just happened to have a Penn full aluminum frame, I wouldn't bet, but to me, it looks like they contracted Tiburon to make it for them. I saw one of these go on Ebay last week for 130 bucks for the complete reel.

suitekids

And BTW I purchased this from an elderly gent not far from me on craigslist. It was an old combo deal he bought years ago, The rod was a Penn Senator 3160rs roller rod, they were both new and never had line on the reel, picked up the combo for 75 bucks and ran out the door. Alan had mentioned these reels were a very limited run. I'm hotrodding it as I write, and atleast I won't need to spend the big bucks for an aftermarket frame, in another week this will be used extensively in the fishing arsenal..Dan

redsetta

Great-looking frame Dan - hadn't come across these before.
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Suitekids:  I have a 114HLW with full frame.  The one in your photo looks painted, or is it anodized black?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

suitekids

It's anodized, it has a light coating of grease on it, and it's new. All I did to it was chase the 8-40 threads with a bottom tap.......Dan

Bryan Young

Now that's one beasty looking frame.  Looks very stout.  That reel would be a great BEAST project.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

suitekids

It undergoing the beastly changes as I write

alantani

light coat of grease everywhere!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!