Pro Gear problem

Started by Bruce, June 10, 2012, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Hello

I recently acquired a Pro Gear  Paciifica 2500 and while examineing the reel found a lot of up and down slop in the spool. It is as if the left plate bearing retainer is oversize or perhaps the bearing itself is not correct outer diameter. I would estimate 7 to 10K slop in bearing retainer. I removed bearing and retainer fgrom reel , put bearing in retainer and shaken ( not stirred ) slop can be felt and even heard by me
           There is no  obvious damage to the left side  bearing retainer ( as if bearing had rusted to spool shaft and spun in retainer ) . The bearing looks and feels to be in good condition ( spin very well, no roughness ) and the spool shaft is fine.
             Is this bearing the same size as used in Penn  Senator 4/0 ? If so I will try one from my Penn 113H.

Thank you Buzz
Buzz

Nessie Hunter

Would not be the first time a bearing was left out completely or Wrong Size was put in..
Micrometer if possible and size accordingly...

Could also be wrong plate or Defective..   
Mic is important to figure it out..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bruce

Hello  Nessie Hunter

True, but I do not know correct size for comparrison.

thank you:   Buzz
Buzz

Bryan Young

I'm not sure of the beaing size as I have not worked on the Pacifica Series as of yet.  If it is the same as the Penn 4/0, then the bearing size is 0.125 X 0.375 X 0.156.  Some reels used metric bearings, and unfortunately, I didn't keep track of the different bearing sizes.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bruce

Thank you Bryan

I will check it out for size.
           i have a 113h so I can compare the two and see if it fits properly.

buzz

Buzz

day0ne

2500 has Jigmaster sized gears etc. 113H may have too big a bearing ID (spool shaft size)
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

My PG255 uses 0.125 X 0.375 by 0.156 bearings, so it's probably best to measure to be sure.

Buzz, if you are in the SF Bay area, drop on by and maybe we can help you size up the right bearing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

calipers really help here!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bruce

Yeah they do but has dead battery.

Buzz
Buzz

Nessie Hunter

Hit up Radio Shack for  a battery..
Measure inside of cup for OD and Spool shaft for ID...   

Depth/thickness of old one will probably be OK...

Call or Email Dawn at Smoothdrags and get the right bearing by those measured sizes...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bruce

Well , I finally got battery for caliper.
Bearing ciphers
out at 113H size.123x.374x.156
Took left bearing cap out of 113h and screwed into side of  PG ,perfect ,no axial play .
Checked PG bearing cup,WOW.383 inside diameter .
Looks like manufacturing defect , no burnishing inside and has nice black anodizing.
Cut some .004 shim stock and wraped circumference of bearing.
Much better,but need new bearing cap.
Are they available?

Buzz
Buzz

Bryan Young

Try measuring the bearing in mm

Irish Jigger

It's a standard Imperial bearing, 1/8"x3/8"x5/32".

Bryan Young

I wonder if you have a end cap for a different reel if the spool wobbles in the bearing.

Bruce

Well here is  cup size, decimal .383 ,now since I am measureing a very small radius and my Frankford Arsenal caliper measureing points are relatively large compared to cup inner diameter,so I suspect a thousand and a half could be added to result.
I believe the bearing is correct (1/8-.1250-3.1750mm x 3/8-.3750-9.5250mm x 1/16-.0625- 1.5875mm  )  size and cup is manufacturing defect (oversize bore ) or it is possibly wrong cup.

Thanks  Buzz
Buzz