What to do with a new Penn 115L2?

Started by JasonF, June 11, 2012, 01:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Gotcha! ;)
Albert, you're as sharp as my stone mason trowel...and that's sharp.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

I finally got my Accuframe delivered.  I have never seen one in person and am very impressed.  

Bryan Young

Now you have a BEAST Jason.  Very nice.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

QuoteNow you have a BEAST Jason.  Very nice.
x2 - well done mate.
Now let's put it to work. ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: redsetta on July 05, 2012, 09:06:09 PM
QuoteNow you have a BEAST Jason.  Very nice.
x2 - well done mate.
Now let's put it to work. ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin
x3, good job!

JasonF

Even the cat digs it!  Im taking this puppy out tommorow.  Cannot wait!

Alto Mare

Great job Jason, give us a full report.
My 9/0 is my favorite reel so far, it is only 40oz heavier than my 114WEX and 65oz heavier than a 114h.
The weight of my 9/0 comes in at 3.65lb, but I have a nice heavy duty handle on it. I'm actually going to recommend that you get yourself one, you'll be amazed, you could use the one that you have on a smaller reel. If you're interested here is where I get mine from, the seller made them to my specs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-C-M-HANDLE-FIT-PENN-REEL-114H-6-0-OR-9-0-DAIWA-600H-/110873884477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d099373d
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 05, 2012, 08:12:22 PM
Now you have a BEAST Jason.  Very nice.

Ditto on that!  Now you should add beastly drags, such as a 1+7.

Jason, how many screws hold the right sideplate on the frame?  Are there other screws under the beauty ring?  I see only 5.   
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

JasonF

Sal, I do agree with the fact that your handle looks rugged.  I love the arm but the jumbo grip feels weird even though I have large hands.  I am going to see if he can sell just the arm and I will put on my standard T-bar handle.

George,  there are in fact only 5 screws on this 9/0.  The frame has more holes that I am not using.  Did older 9/0's use more screws? 

And why the hell did no one tell me that I drag options?!?!  Dam y'all I thought I was done with this project!! ;)

Can someone explain the 1+7 drag compared to what came with the reel?

Cheers! J

George4741

Alrightee Jason,
Several of us have been mulling this 1+7 drag thing over for a while.  It's part of the evolutionary modifications that have been occuring to the 114H on this forum.  I think Sal started this by combining most of these ideas into one reel.  You know, Accurate or Tib frame, double dogs, stainless everything, Accurate gears, and so on.  Basically, turning it into a MONSTER.

See the post on the 1+7 drags here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4627.0

The drags are still in the developmental stage and so far I'm not entirely happy with what I have.  However, it shows promise.  I have some other ideas in the works and I'll post the results later.
 George

BTW the older 9/0 reels have 8 screws holding the sideplate on.
viurem lliures o morirem

JasonF

Thanks George.  I just finished reading that thread and it cleared this up for me.  If the only advantage is an increase in max drag, I am going to stick with the original set up.  I can see an application for that set up though.  If I were using this reel in a deep drop for swords or large grouper set up using braided line it would be golden.  I am using 60 pound Suffix mono with a typical bite no deeper than a few hundred feet. I have no need for that much drag, especially in a stand up harness....scary.  I just want a smoooth 20# of drag.

Alto Mare

Quote from: JasonF on July 06, 2012, 02:24:06 AM
Sal, I do agree with the fact that your handle looks rugged.  I love the arm but the jumbo grip feels weird even though I have large hands.  I am going to see if he can sell just the arm and I will put on my standard T-bar handle.

George,  there are in fact only 5 screws on this 9/0.  The frame has more holes that I am not using.  Did older 9/0's use more screws? 

And why the hell did no one tell me that I drag options?!?!  Dam y'all I thought I was done with this project!! ;)

Can someone explain the 1+7 drag compared to what came with the reel?

Cheers! J
Jason, leave your handle as is, the standard T knob won't look right with that handle.

Alto Mare

Quote from: JasonF on July 06, 2012, 03:30:14 AM
Thanks George.  I just finished reading that thread and it cleared this up for me.  If the only advantage is an increase in max drag, I am going to stick with the original set up.  I can see an application for that set up though.  If I were using this reel in a deep drop for swords or large grouper set up using braided line it would be golden.  I am using 60 pound Suffix mono with a typical bite no deeper than a few hundred feet. I have no need for that much drag, especially in a stand up harness....scary.  I just want a smoooth 20# of drag.
Jason, it's not just about additional #'s, it should also help with smoothness

BTW from the 4/0 to the 12/0, all have 8 screws young and old.
I think only your reel made in China has 5. I'm hoping that you won't experience any problems with that.
The screws for that reel cost about $1 a piece shipped, if they sell 1000 reels they just made an easy $6000.... did I do that right? Anyway, Just a thought ...not knocking anyone here.

JasonF

Nice morning on the water.  We ran about 1.5 hrs out.  I was hoping to hook something worthy of this outfit, but my only takers (cobia & snapper) were taken on light tackle.

As for the lack of screws goes, I feel that I should maximise the strength between the side plates and the frame, so I am going to drill and tap additional holes.  I am going to put another between each of the existing screws.

Makule

QuoteMy 9/0 is my favorite reel so far
Totally agree with Sal on this.  The 9/0 is my favorite also.  Only problem I ever had with one was when a large hammerhead shark distorted the frame after a long fight.

QuoteAnd why the hell did no one tell me that I drag options?!?!
Modification of reels is an ongoing process.  Our job is to post our experiences and your job is to read what's posted.  You can choose what you want to do and what you don't.  You can even decide to do something totally new, that none of us has thought of (and when you do, please share).  Especially with increasing the number of brake disks, that's a relatively new issue and, no one wants to recommend something that's not yet "proven".  The issues of concern include whether the thinner CF disks will hold up (I think they will), whether the drive train will suffer (it might, depending on what materials they are made of), and whether there is a practical limit to how much drag the frame and spindle/shaft can handle (it's possible that the spindle might distort enough under extreme pressure so that the spool starts to rub against the frame).  No one wants to be accused of causing another's reel to fail or be damaged.  No one wants to hear, "And why the hell did no one tell me that increasing the drag was going to break my ...".
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.