What to do with a new Penn 115L2?

Started by JasonF, June 11, 2012, 01:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Albert, your comment about the reel being made in China is irrelevant to the issue that Jason was experiencing. His problem was related to a ss custom gear sleeve. It appears that Jason has it all worked out, all is good now ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

Sure is!  We did an overnight red snapper run last night.  Sure enough a large hammerhead came around this morning.  I had a live blue runner ready and I was rigged with cable and ready.  It took about 15 seconds after dropping the bait in the water and I hooked up.  He pulled a ton of line, but after 45 min or so I won.  My buddy grabbed the leader and cut the cable fairly close to the circle hook.  The reel performed flawlessly thanks to y'alls help tricking it out!  Thanks!

JasonF

......and now to finish this rod.  Should have the guides all on today.  Then a coat a day of finish for a week.

suitekids

George4741

Quote from: JasonF on June 23, 2012, 11:44:33 PM
......and now to finish this rod.  Should have the guides all on today.  Then a coat a day of finish for a week.

OK Jason, now you gotta tell us about the new rod you're building.
viurem lliures o morirem

JasonF

No problem.  It is built on a Calstar Boomer Jr blank.  Dont let the Jr in its name fool you.  It is one of the more powerful stand up blanks out there for 50# class tackle.  The reel seat and gimbal are from Alps tackle.  I chose Alps because they produce gorgeous CNCed parts instead of the cast American standards.  I chose Aftco HD's for the roller guides.  They arent pretty, but are effective and reliable.  All components are silver instead of my normal gold to match the 115 better.  I kept my wraps simple with metalic black with metalic red trim band.  The only "bling" will be an abalone yellowfin tuna that I am going to place between the foregrip and stripper along with (of course) my signature in silver.  Once I finish it and get my frame for the reel in I will post some good photos of my finished project.

JasonF

Dammit.  I thought that problems with the reel were behind me but I just found one that I cannot figure out.  I am surprised that I did not spot it when I was fishing with it. 

My dogs very clearly and audibly engage.  If I apply any lateral pressure toward the reel the dogs go silent and I can reverse the handle.  I notice a little bit of play between the gear sleeve and bridge.  Obviously I dont need to push toward the reel to crank, and it works fine, but I want it perfect.  Any ideas?

Also, if you are curious about my fix for the handle bolt here it is.  I dont remember what that piece of hardware is called, but it is just threads with a hex hole.  It basically configured the sleeve the way the chinese brass sleeve was.  Works fine.

And seeing that some of you doubt my issue with the penn handle bolt, check out this photo.  You can see both the number and thread size.  If you compare it to the photo below you can clearly see the issue.  Just proving Im not COMPLETELY incompitent!!:)

redsetta

Gday Jason,
That sleeve just doesn't want to do you any favours does it?!
If you're applying lateral force to the handle/shaft, the dogs may be binding 'open' under the main gear/CF washer, especially given there's already some play.
If this is the case, a shim under the sleeve should correct it.
Good luck, Justin
PS May also want to consider replacing the sleeve... :-\
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Sorry Jason, but the hole thing doesn't make sense to me. I actually don't understand  how you were able to fish with that reel. As I mentioned earlier, I have two of the same ss sleeves that Alan sent me from the same batch and have no issues, but that's still beside the point. The sleeve that came with your reel is recessed at the top to accept the handle nut, the sleeve that Alan sent you is threaded to the top, to accept the star wheel. I believe that installing a nut there will work against you , how are you able to adjust the drag and keep the handle tight at the same time? About the lateral play, a little play is normal there, if you need it to be tight you could add a washer under the sleeve. As I said, I don't get the hole deal here, but maybe it's just me.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

I just took another look at your picture, do you have another threaded sleeve going into the ss sleeve? I can't tell from your picture. Can you show me a picture with the handle installed? I would love to see it.

Irish Jigger

Could one of those Handle Screws (It 23) be stamped with the wrong part number?

JasonF

That is exactly what I have Sal.  As you can see it is now configured like the Chinese sleeve.  It now required a nut rather than a bolt to hold the handle on, and the black plastic cap in a previous photo keeps the nut in place.

Alto Mare

I see, now it makes sense to me. Did you use loctite to hold the bolt in place so it wont come lose? Very clever Jason.

JasonF

Yes I used loctite blue.  I also wanted to occasionally drop some reel x through to the post in the gear sleeve without complete dissasembly so I put in in the drill press and hollowed it with a 1/8" hole since the sleeve that I added is hollow except the portion where the hex wrench goes in.  I hope this clarifies why I said that I am 100% confident in it.  It is well thought out.  That is why I made Mr Hammerhead my beeatch!!!!  ;D

JasonF

Quote from: suitekids on June 24, 2012, 03:07:40 AM
I want one!!!!

.....and you can have one!  Buy the components, and a nice bottle of scotch and I will knock you one out!  By all accounts my rods smoke factory rods.  I just charge premium liquer instead of your arm and your leg!!!  :D