Grice and Young tatlers

Started by tatlersupreme, June 14, 2012, 07:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatlersupreme

Hi,am new to this forum game so excuse any mistakes however am interested in old reels at this point of time the Tatler range by Grice and young.These reels are just awesome and about two years ago i bought one cheap off ebay included with the reel were a set of instructions + what turned out to be a very important phone number written by hand on the list.Well curiosity got the better of me as the number indicated that this was where you got spares so i rang it.As a result of my inquisitive nature it payed dividends because the person i rang and spoke to was one of the directors of the Grice and young manufacturers who went out of buisness in the early eighties and yes would you believe it only lived two miles away.I went to see the spares that he had got quite a lot considering these are now obsolete probably about 30 kilos in total he had been offering to service and repair in the past but now in his eighties had lost interest and was very happy to offload the spares he had got to me for a reasonable sum so here i am with the reel which i like and a pile of spares to repair with.As far as i can tell there are three different sizes of these multiplyer sea reels and they all used the same end covers as they got more modern there was more plastic introduced to the external fittings of the reels and there were at least three different colours.Anybody with any info regarding these reels i would be very interested to hear from also anyone with boxes of spares for sale!! no i know i am asking for Hens teeth oh well worth a try.

kamuwela

welcome to alans place. can you post some pics?

Bryan Young

Aloha and welcome from the USA.

Googled and found this.

http://66.51.163.9/fishing/collection/index.cfm/hierarchy/2/depth/2/finalLevel/2/category/2/level1/Grice%20%26%20Young/item/M000991/

http://tatlerreels.com/

I think someone else brought up this reel, I just cannot remember whom...Oh, it was Redsetta (Justin).  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3354.0

Looks like Justin may have a source for parts now.  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Welcome to the Forum.
Tatlers were way ahead  of their time,double dogs etc.
One of our Moderators here is a fan and has posted a great Tutorial on these reels. Check link here.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3354.0

redsetta

G'day and welcome TS,
Tatlers are great reels and still in service in some parts of NZ.
I have a few spares on hand, so let me know if you're looking for anything in particular.
Sounds like you're pretty well sorted though - well done!
Gears are the hardest parts to find/replace, so I'd like to hear if you have any extras you wouldn't mind parting with... ;)
Hope you enjoy Alan's place.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood.

alantani

welcome!  glad you were finally able to get through the registration headaches.  there is something wrong with the software. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tatlersupreme

Well second note to this sight.thanks for everyones interest i do have a confession to make i have now got 12 of these tatlers four of them being the no5 am interested in the  oceanic tatler what does it look like is it just a bigger version of the supreme and i wonder why it was white.I have now got to get all these spares out and see what i have got the one bit i know that is not there which made me search for spares in the first place is a piece i think called a yolk by its shape it is instrumental in moving the pinion which is in constant mesh with the larger crown wheel in and out of engagement with the dog on the spool which  allows for freewheel of the spool in other words enagage and disengage.Having joined this site it has now spurned me on to research g&y more what is irritating is the fact that the factory was just outside christchurch where i live and closed in the eighties oh well cant win em all.I will work out how to upload photos to show these reels to you interested people and i will let Justin know what parts i have as he did mention gears anyway away to the garage to start sorting regards Everett.

willybendit

Hi Tatler   id like to see your collection of tatler reels   i knew i had one in my tackle room somewhere  it was just a case of finding it after about 20 minutes  looking there it was it not been used by me and im not sure where i got it from  must of been when i bought a load of old tackle at a car boot sale  it all works as it should

im not sure how much line it holds and chances are it will never get used  ill have a look round for a old rod to put it on and have on my tackle room wall    my F.P.O  Fishing. permission. officer (the wife) might just say no to that  we will just have to wait and see   tightlines Alain