My Hoard of Penns and a Few Others, Part II

Started by George4741, June 15, 2012, 05:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Penn 7500ss and 760L Liveliner.  The 760L belongs to my wife.  She used it once (I mean she just tried to cast with it once ;D) then returned to her 320GT2 and never looked back.  Now it just gathers dust.

Two 349 Master Mariners and a 49 Super Mariner.  I replaced the sideplates on the 349's with single lever ones.  They look less cluttered and I don't need the knucklebuster feature.  I also upgraded the drags with HT-100's and/or Smoothdrag carbontex.  I bought the 49 with a plastic spool, not knowing that plastic is a no-no. :(

Top row: Senators 111, 113H, and a narrowed black 113.  Bottom row: 114H with an Accurate frame and a Baja Special.  The 114H was an impulse bid on ebay.  I made the initial bid and no one else wanted it.  Nice!  The Baja Special is another of my "go-to" reels.

A Senator 9/0 on a Fenwick rod and a 6/0 on a Senator rod.  I bought both set-ups from a friend who was getting rid of his salt water stuff.  He scrubbed the stencils off of the Fenwick, so I don't know what model it is. :(

Mitchells 306A and 300, and a Shimano 251 Bantam Mag Plus.  I purchased the Mitchell 300 in 1975.  It was my first reel as an adult.  I thought the 306A would be a good salt water reel, until I saw the Penn 7500ss.  Now it's another one of those reels that just gathers dust.  I've had the Shimano since the mid 1980's.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

You got some nice reels George...and rods ;D. That Fennwick is a fennglass, I bet it's light as a feather. If you take a couple of measurements, I might be able to determine the size :-\. Thanks for showing them. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tile

The Bantam Mag Plus is a solid baitcaster and can give today's top end low-profile baitcasters a serious run for their money.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 15, 2012, 11:45:47 AM
You got some nice reels George...and rods ;D. That Fennwick is a fennglass, I bet it's light as a feather. If you take a couple of measurements, I might be able to determine the size :-\. Thanks for showing them. Sal

Thank you, Sal.
The Fennwick oal is 82-1/2 inches, length with butt removed is 65-5/16 in.  It has 6 rollers including the tip.  The rod diameter just forward of the foregrip is .815 in.  I don't know if it is considered to be light, but it weighs approximately the same as my Penn Special Senator 9/0 rod.

Thank you for the compliments, guys.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

Quote from: Tile on June 15, 2012, 12:07:00 PM
The Bantam Mag Plus is a solid baitcaster and can give today's top end low-profile baitcasters a serious run for their money.

Thanks, Tile.  I also think it has a classy look (the reel, not me ;D).  I saved the box for it, too.

In fact, with the exception of the Mitchell 300, if I purchased a reel with the box, then I still have the box.  You see most of them here.  Too bad they all didn't come with the original boxes. :(   
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

George, if you need a little liberation from hoarding, I'm interested in your Penn 7500SS. ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

George, I do not have the exact match, but the one that comes close to your dimentions is a 50 class rod. I hope this is helpful to you. Sal.
By the way, the sticker on the fennlight does ware off, I'm starting to see it on my rods. These are still the best rods to me ;).

Quote from: George4741 on June 15, 2012, 02:30:52 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on June 15, 2012, 11:45:47 AM

Thank you, Sal.
The Fennwick oal is 82-1/2 inches, length with butt removed is 65-5/16 in.  It has 6 rollers including the tip.  The rod diameter just forward of the foregrip is .815 in.  I don't know if it is considered to be light, but it weighs approximately the same as my Penn Special Senator 9/0 rod.

Thank you for the compliments, guys.
George
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 15, 2012, 07:35:47 PM
George, if you need a little liberation from hoarding, I'm interested in your Penn 7500SS. ;)

I know what you mean, and my wife would encourage me to sell it (and a lot of other things, too).  The 7500ss are nice medium sized AMERICAN MADE spinners.  But, for some pathetic reason unbeknownst even to me, I can't bear to part with it. ;D   

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 16, 2012, 12:35:39 AM
George, I do not have the exact match, but the one that comes close to your dimentions is a 50 class rod. I hope this is helpful to you. Sal.
By the way, the sticker on the fennlight does ware off, I'm starting to see it on my rods. These are still the best rods to me ;).

Very helpful, thanks for the info.

viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

George, good answer 'cause if I came home with another reel, my reel may be warm in the house while I'm outside in the dog house.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Harry

Amazing collection of beautiful reels George.

redsetta

Nice work George - it's an impressive line-up.
I've wanted to add a Baja Special to my collection for some time, but it's hard to justify with a couple of Tanks already in the kit.
The Fenwick is a cracker too.
Cheers for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Nice collection George... esp. loving the fenwick rod because of the rear grip and gimbal.  Gotta love the mariners in sweeeet condition, too!
Thanks
Dom

George4741

Thanks guys, mostly working reels.  Not quite the awesome showpieces that some of our other members have. :o  I look at other photos in this forum and often think about sprucing up my International or Senators for some real bling.  Then my wife says "Honey, you don't need it.  You gotta retire someday."

Justin, I know what you mean.  But I'm in the opposite position.  Since I have a Baja Special, I can't justify a 113H tank.  However, I'm halfway into building a 114H tank. ;) ;D     

Thanks, Dom.  Remember Sal's?  Here you go for some real eye candy.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2493.0
viurem lliures o morirem