I am throwing out my Calcutta B's....

Started by JasonF, June 17, 2012, 05:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

.....'cause the D series is coming out!  I am curious if the performance difference will equal what I am certain the price difference will be.  I like the color though.

At its price point I think it'll be replacing the TE not the B Calcutta's.  If not they are leaving a huge price gap, cause those D's wont be cheap.

joel5673

Hhhh,in SEA where I am,these are ment to be between the calcutta B's and calcutta conquest,costing SGD $635 MSRP.Very nice design on them,and the 200 size is equal to the calcutta 100b in form,same for the 100 being the size of a 50.Very very nice reels with a very "nice" pricetag  ;D
Greetings from Singapore.
Servicing reels slowly becoming as addictive as fishing.Maybe thats a good thing............

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

why not make the B your reserve reel ??? just a suggestion...tight lines!

Bill B

Please let me know when they hit the trash can.....I'm not above dumpster diving ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JasonF

Uuuuhhh, I guess you guys did not detect the sarcasm in my original post?!  Thre is no way that I would get rid of my beloved calcuttas!

Killerbug

Would not like to mess with that drag, with cold and wet fingers.  Major flaw! a fancy and non working solution already tried by ABU on the Ambassaduer 5000D with no success.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Bill B

Just trying to get some laughs....no worries brother...and smart man once said serious discussions should not be done in a text or email message...the nuances of face to face conversation just cannot be replaced with an emoticon...let us know what you think of the D's...inquiring minds would like to know or at least see the inside of 'em......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

They wont be offering it in the 100 or 50 size. Its not anodized. Its only protection is a in house proprietary clear coating. Like the Chronarch Mg reels had. Seen dozens of them melt where that clear coating got nicked or inside the frame were Shimano didnt coat it thick enough. Metal drag star replaced with a plastic/nylon nub.  B series was $180 now the D will be $340. I see only negatives yet again in Shimano's constant technological upgrades.  They only seek to please the high tech freshwater bass fisherman who thinks they have to have a $500 reel to conquer a 2lb fish.

JasonF

That is an interesting perspective.  It would take some serious upgrades to get me to spend $340 on them.  I have a few Talicas and Trinidads with that finish that I fish hard and have plenty of scratches that have yet to have melted on me.

SNOOK

I will be checking these out at ICAST next month

The Chronarch Mgs melted or I should have said corroded because they were magnesium.  But the clear coating was according to shimano supposed to make the reel saltwater safe.  A sad notion for the manufacturer to claim when simle boat rash cut through the clear coating.  Id still not want an aluminum reel or spool that was not protected by anodizing.

JasonF

It is just so strange that none of my reels that that have that finish and tons of scratches show any sign of corrosion whatsoever.  They must us a different alloy where you live or something.

Seen three in person including one which was my own. There are hundreds of threads and pics of it on so many boards on the net its easy to find. As a matter of fact, researching it is how I found this site. But its on tackletour, allcoast, texaskayakfisherman and bloodydecks to name a few.

JasonF

It just sounds to me like the people that you are reading about simply neglect their equipment.  I use my reels, or atleast have them on standby on the T-top of the boat atleast a few days a week in saltwater.  I mist them with freshwater after use and lube appropriately.  I have exactly zero corosion and I have had these reels since Shimano introduced them.  Just my experience.