Attempting to find a 5-40 tap

Started by Ken_D, June 24, 2012, 07:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Nothing available locally, am looking for a supply house in America other than McMaster-Carr who has these things. 5-40 is a common thread size for some of the Penn reels. Thanks in advance. KD.

seaeagle2

I just did a google, ebay has several, and there's online supply houses that have them also. I was surprised to find that Harbor Freight did not have it.....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Marlinmate

Check with GRAINGERS....That is where I got mine
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

seaeagle2

"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

alantani

my local hardware store had one.  worst case, let me know and i will mail one to you.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

Quote from: seaeagle2 on June 25, 2012, 03:23:45 AM
Where are you in Canada ?

Smithers, BC V0J 2N4.  Nothing local.  :(

I'll take you up on your offer, Alan, if I strike out on the web. Thanks, Ken.

elnath

Quote from: Ken_D on June 24, 2012, 07:11:12 PM
Nothing available locally, am looking for a supply house in America other than McMaster-Carr who has these things. 5-40 is a common thread size for some of the Penn reels. Thanks in advance. KD.

Brownell's is a great source of tools for "specialty" stuff--they are primarily focused on gunsmithing, but there is of course alot of overlap.

They have all three types of 5-40 taps.  They are very fast to ship and a great organization--never any worries.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6876/Product/WIRE-GAUGE-CARBON-TAPS

Ken_D

Quote from: Marlinmate on June 25, 2012, 01:41:22 AM
Check with GRAINGERS....That is where I got mine

Funny you should mention Grainger's... they just moved to town !!!  Ackland's-Grainger. They are very proud of their 5-40 tap, in the nation-wide online catalog. 22.00 ( for 1 each) USD plus stamps. The gun place is a little more fair: 2.75 USD and stamps.

alantani

i'm not sure "proud" is the word i would use.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bruce

Yeah! Thats what my Pa always said if he thought something was out of line or overpriced.
         He had a saying for any and every situation .

Ditto on Brownells or you could also try Midway USA , many speciality tools at affordable prices.

Buzz
Buzz

Bill B

I'm a little late on this, but Brownell's offers LE discounts...just look at the regular price and then look at the number next to it that looks kinda like a part number and that's the LE price...they also sell their catalogs at a discount....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bluefish69

I bought 5/40 tape from McMaster & Carr 2 week ago. $12 + ea.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

Quote from: Ken_D on June 25, 2012, 08:52:44 AM
Quote from: seaeagle2 on June 25, 2012, 03:23:45 AM
Where are you in Canada ?

Smithers, BC V0J 2N4.  Nothing local.  :(

Did you find a tap?  Prince Rupert or Prince George should have a place you can get one.  I know you can get one in Ketchikan but that is harder for you to get to.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

QuoteThey are very proud of their 5-40 tap,

In Hawaii, they're proud of everything they sell, and moreso of the stuff the just sits on their shelves.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Keta

Quote from: Makule on September 19, 2012, 05:35:05 PM
QuoteThey are very proud of their 5-40 tap,

In Hawaii, they're proud of everything they sell, and moreso of the stuff the just sits on their shelves.

The same with Alaska.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain