torium 30 bad ar bearing

Started by rx7240sx, June 26, 2012, 12:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rx7240sx

I had a bad anti reverse bearing in my torium 30. I replaced it with a new one, put a few drops of reel x on it, put it all together, and it stopped working. The handle rotates back until it hits the anti reverse paw. Any idea or suggestions on how to fix it or what I might have done wrong? I would hate to have to buy a new one. 

redsetta

G'day rx,
It may simply be faulty, so whomever sold it should replace it at no cost.
However, did you check the AR sleeve (aka 'roller clutch tube' #494) for wear or damage?
It's often recommended to replace both the sleeve and bearing together...
Also, while the ReelX shouldn't have caused this, it may be worth wiping the inside of the AR bearing to remove any excess lubrication.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers, Justin
(PS I assume there's no chance it's been inserted upside-down?)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

i always replace the roller bearing and the inner tube as a set. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rx7240sx

I should have put I also Replaced  the roller sleeve. I will pull it apart when I get home tonight and let you guys know what I see thanks

rx7240sx

ok so i opened it back up and found a red grease inside of the a/r bearing. I cleaned out the grease and put it all back together and still no luck. I also found that the bearing sleeve does not fit tight.  I think the parts dept. gave ?me the wrong sleeve sound possible?

redsetta

G'day rx,
The bearing sleeve has to be snug to the rollers or it won't lock out in reverse.
An incorrect part certainly seems a likely explanation. :-\
(The grease wouldn't have helped either...)
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

uggghhhh!  it sounds like you're going to have to start all over again!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reelgood

if you take out the ARB and the sleeve and rotate the sleeve inside it with your fingers, does the A/R function work?

i ask because I have seen handle play that was due to other issues with a trinidad drivetrain besides the ARB, though I was convinced at first that it was the ARB

franky

Quote from: reelgood on June 29, 2012, 03:32:59 PM
if you take out the ARB and the sleeve and rotate the sleeve inside it with your fingers, does the A/R function work?

i ask because I have seen handle play that was due to other issues with a trinidad drivetrain besides the ARB, though I was convinced at first that it was the ARB

Yes, the ARB and the Roller Clutch Inner Tube will "appear" to work if you are testing it with your fingers with the ARB being outside the sideplate (not installed).  However, in a prior discussion (thread), someone had mentioned that when they finger tested the ARB outside the sideplate, it appeared to work, but when they reassembled the reel and tested it under pressure, the ARB was slipping.  :-\

I guess you can finger test the two together prior to installation because at least that would have identified that the Roller Clutch Inner Tube was the wrong size in relation to the ARB prior to installation.

Btw, what were some of the things that affected the handle play on the trinidad that you've witnessed?  Just curious... ??? 

Bryan Young

the bearing under the drive shaft is usually the issue.  Small bearing and damages easily.  Like another thread, if replaced with a bushing, this issue would be eliminated.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Bryan,

Where do you get these bushings from to replace these BB under the drive shaft?  Ive asked this question before with no results  ???.  Also what recommendations for bushing materials: plastic/nylon, bronze etc?

Leo

franky

Quote from: LTM on June 29, 2012, 08:32:04 PM
Bryan,

Where do you get these bushings from to replace these BB under the drive shaft?  Ive asked this question before with no results  ???.  Also what recommendations for bushing materials: plastic/nylon, bronze etc?

Leo

Hello Leo,

I believe Shimano carries the bushings 1(877)577-0600.  I try to keep all my parts OEM as much as possible.  I know that the toriums have the bushing and they are keyed.  Some of the parts in the torium and the trinidads are interchangable, however, the BB at the bottom of the driveshaft in the trinidads are NOT keyed.  This could be an issue and maybe gotta modify the torium bushing to get it to fit into the trinidad housing.  ::)

Bryan Young

Nothing that a drill or get bushing and drive shaft from Torium.  Then next set of reels that I get in, I gotta look into this.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 29, 2012, 09:46:23 PM
Nothing that a drill or get bushing and drive shaft from Torium.  Then next set of reels that I get in, I gotta look into this.

Bryan, you might wanna take a look at the trinidad housing.  I believe the torium housing is keyed to fit the keyed bushing kinda like this... =O=

If you take a BB that is fully circular and put it in the keyed housing, all you got to do is match the diameter of the BB to the circular part in the housing.

On the other hand, if you take a trinidad housing that is full circle without the keyed indentation, you might have to shave off the keyed ears on the torium bushing.

Therefore, if you are servicing a trinidad reel, changing the driveshaft to a torium driveshaft may not solve the trinidad housing issue that is not keyed.

Anyway, like you mentioned, if it is a trinidad, just got to take the torium bushing and shave off the ears on the bushing....then it should fit under the trinidad drive shaft.  ;)

reelgood

Quote from: franky on June 29, 2012, 08:18:11 PM

Btw, what were some of the things that affected the handle play on the trinidad that you've witnessed?  Just curious... ??? 

play in between the hole in the handle arm and the end of the drive shaft which may matter if the nut is not really tight and also play beween the hole in the keyed top drag/drive plate and the drive shaft and/or ARB sleeve prongs.  It only takes a very slight amount of play at the axis to cause a large, noticeable play at the knob.