FISHING IN NY WITH BROADWAY DOM

Started by Dominick, June 26, 2012, 09:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Fished with Dom out of Brooklyn.  Dom was gracious enough to host a fishing trip for me with my daughter Diane and my long time fishing buddy Joe Licata.  We caught 14 Striped Bass and 1 Blue Fish.  Here are some photos.
Here is Dom's boat.

It was cold and windy.  Verazanno Narrows Bridge.

Dom and Diane with 2 of the fish.

I caught this Blue Fish.

Dom's homemade umbrella rigs.

Dom's homemade umbrella rigs do catch fish but they are dangerous.  Dom said he makes them that way because human blood is an attractant.

Here's Dom filleting one of the fish.  We only kept 1 of the 15 fish.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

john2244

Thanks for the pics and report.  It was very nice of Dom to host the fishing trip.   
John

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Dominick, I'm glad it worked out for you guys, very nice.
Dom, good thing the westies can't handle our weather up here, the red jacket never came off. I think I caught a glimpse of the hawaiian shirt underneath ;D
That's a nice boat Dom.Thanks for the report.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Awesome!  Wow, winds look horible just like here and Hawaii right now.  Looks like you guys had a blast.  

Now, I'm really jealous that I never made it up there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Very nice! I can see it now: Dom & Dom Fishing Charters, Inc.     Tag line - "No Whiners, Only Winners" ;D
Nice work guys (and Diane). ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Is Diane the daughter that you stole the fish from in Mexico?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 27, 2012, 12:03:23 AM
Is Diane the daughter that you stole the fish from in Mexico?
It was Diane but it was the Dominican Republic.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

Danhans

Dave Bentley

Quote from: norcal pescador on June 26, 2012, 11:02:09 PM
Very nice! I can see it now: Dom & Dom Fishing Charters, Inc.     Tag line - "No Whiners, Only Winners" ;D
Nice work guys (and Diane). ;)

or as my Missus would say....."Double Dom (Benedictine) please barman.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Keta on June 27, 2012, 12:56:22 PM
Nice

x2 thanks for sharing...starting to miss  the east coast....

broadway

I was concerned in the morning that we weren't gonna make it out with the high winds, but was hopeful with it being out of the NW.  In my area a NW wind is the best wind because Coney Island protects us and knocks the waves down before they get to us but not yesterday.  It was howling around 20 knots sustained with higher gusts, but do you think that stopped us? ... NOPE! 
    First, the bunker spoons went out on wire line.  I set out the lines the first time to show them how it's done, and from there on out it was all Dominick, Joe, and Diane.  I didn't touch the rods after that, which was fun for me to watch these guys pick up on wire lining so quickly. They did the most important two things when fishing wire... Kept tension on the spool while letting out and kept tension on the fish when reeling in.  So, after trolling one area for a bit we moved on to Breezy Point (where the surf caster is in one of Dom's photos).  We see the birds working on a shoal that I'm very familiar with that has water as low as 6" most of the time.  The fish were pushing the bait into the shallows and then the birds and fish feasted.  I gave it a shot on the side of the shoal, but decided to get to the other side, so off we went until the dreaded "abrupt stop" which was us sandblasting my skegs in that 6 inches of water.  We got off the shoal in seconds so it wasn't so bad (will repaint skegs in the fall).  Back on the birds we went, but they were playing around with small bait so the bunker spoons had to go.
     Out come the hand slicing umbrella rigs that I make from scratch.  We put one light colored and one dark colored umbrellas.  Went to the tip of that jetty in the photo (30 yds off).  Started in one direction to no avail, then we went back towards the west and BAM...  Diane is on with a nice one!  From there on out for the next hour or so we went over the spot in the same direction until the bite slowed, but not before my great crew were able to nail 14 stripers and 1 blue.  The fish were of all different sizes.  We got them from 5lbs up to 25lbs.  Diane got a whopper 25 lb'er that she so graciously spared.  We only kept the one fish for the table... the other 3 keepers were sent free along with all the shorts.
     We decided to head back to the dock after the boat was all smiles.  I had a blast fishing with Dominick, Joe, and Diane who's face lights up when she heres "fish on!"  This was one top notch crew to be able to reel in these fish while under such rough and unforgiving seas.  One wave rocked the boat so much that the rods in the outrodders actually touched the water... this has never happened on Broadway and was glad to see everyone in the boat when I turned around :o
      Dominick showed up in the morning with a special gift for me, and told me I had better catch some fish today ;)
He handed me a bag with a reel in it.  It was a 49 mariner in spectacular condition with a very rare wiffled spool (impossible to find as most of you know) that he performed his service on... it spun like a top! This reel will never be sold or traded.  It will stay in my collection forever because it's more than a reel to me :)
      There is one person I would like to thank along with Dominick, Diane, and Joe.  Alan, thank you for making all of these memories happen, for with out you I would have never gotten to associate with so many really great people, and to get me acquainted with an ole' neighborhood guy like Dom. Wish you could've made it, Sal :( ...next time!
     Dominick if you get a chance could you send me some photos of you guys and our day out when you get a chance?
You guys were class acts and you were very mindful of my psychotic cleanliness issues when it comes to the boat... I'm a bit of a clean freak... Also known at my dock as Mr. Gadget or Mr. Clean... Mr. Gdget is because I have a bunch of tools, clips, fasteners for all different jobs cause I hate having to leave a job for a screw >:(  Mr. Clean is self explanatory ;)
   Thanks for a great day,
Dom

Dominick

Dom, as you realized the photos in the post were a select few from all the pictures I took.  Here is a link for you and all the members to see all the pictures on photobucket.  Dom if you want I can download the photos on a disk and send it to you.  Dominick

http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd459/lmdl4law/FISHING%20WITH%20DOM%20NY/