Yamaha grease substitute?

Started by Earl, June 27, 2012, 10:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

I've been trying to source yamaha blue grease for some time, but up here in eastern Canada the only way I can get it is special order only, and I have to take a whole case. Tried ordering it from the U.S. but was told they can't ship grease across the border. So........ I have a large container of Cal's universal and wonder if it would work okay. I also have a tube of Quisksilver engine coupler spline grease that is formulated to protect against saltwater spray. Can anyone tell me if either of these greases will work. I should mention that I do a complete breakdown/maintenance job on my reels after every trip south.
Thanks for any input.

akfish

You can use al's Grease for everything, not just the drag washers. The only reason not to is because it's pretty spendy. Personally, I use Penn's X-1R grease for everything except drag washers which I grease with Cal's.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

That quicksilver grease should be fine or there would be a lot of merc engines in trouble.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

seaeagle2

I'm not a petroleum / chemical engineer, but Mercury makes a grease "with teflon", it's called 2-4-C, it seems to be about the same consistancy and color as Cals.  I bet it's available at your nearest Mercury dealer, and it comes in the small size tubes for the mini grease gun.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Earl

Thanks guy's. I was hoping the Cal's would work. as I got carried away when ordering it. Nice to know there's an acceptable substitute for the Yamaha product.

JGB

The reason we don't use Cal's on anything except drags is that Cal's absorbs water and emulsifies. Over time you get a salt crystal paste.
The new Yamalube Marine (light blue) seems to also absorbs water although less than Cal's grease. The Yamalube does not seem to advertize it being completely water proof.

One of the things that Mercruiser does is to use a emulsifier in it's lower gear lubes and greases. The idea is that the when there is a water leak it gets absorbed and emulsified with the oil or grease preventing it from causing corrosion damage. This does indeed seem to work for small amounts of water. The only completely water proof marine grease that I have used is Triple guard grease which states completely waterproof and will not wash off in the water. Too bad it is so thick that it causes excessive bearing drag when packed in a ball bearing.

If you want to see if your grease absorbs water mix it with a few drops of water and let it sit for a few days and see if it turns white.

Jim N.

Rockfish1

Jim,
Have you ever done any water testing with Lubriplate "Marine Corrosion Control and Wheel Bearing" grease?  I'm guessing it might have to be mixed with something like CorrosionX to get the consistency you wanted (as I think I recall you said you do with Triple Guard?) for reels.......but I've opened up trailer hubs that had water inside and I don't recall the grease being gunked up.  I for sure recall I was impressed that there was no corrosion.  It is a calcium sulfonate base - which theoretically is a better corrosion resistant base than the aluminum complex that Yamaha uses.  Chemtool makes both the Lubriplate and Yamaha (at least they did.......I don't know about a "new" Yammie grease.

fisherski

has anyone used or have an opinion on corrosion block grease? Although I'm new at servicing reels I've use corrosion block liquid in the saltwater marine environment for years with great success. I am considering using corrosion block grease for gears and such, corrosion block liquid for bearings, and cal's for drags on my small spinners and baitcasters. Is corrosion block liquid too thick to use on bearings? any advice would be appreciated!

renegademike

I just got some corrosion block multi purpose grease here in cabo  and was wondering if it will work also. I have Cals but was looking for something similar to the Yamaha which I can not find here in cabo.

Bryan Young

This grease is widely used in Hawaii and I have yet to hear any complaints. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Killerbug

I have used a grease called Magnalube-g for some time now, and I an stunned how great this product is.  It's Teflon/polymer based, so it is perfect for lubricating
plastic parts and drags as well.

It's a multipurpose grease, and you can get two 14oz cartridges for only 22$ directly from the Magnalube website.

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

alantani

can you get penn's blue grease?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coastalobsession

Yes. Hows the corrosion resesistants with it?
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

alantani

no idea.   like so many things, i'd try it and see how it works....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!