What to do with a Senator 112H2?

Started by JasonF, June 27, 2012, 11:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

Now that my other projects are coming to an end I need an excuse to trick out another Senator.  I bought a 113HN but I cannot do anything fun to it so I am going to work on a 112H2.  What can be done to it?  Double dogs? What SS parts are available?  The reel is only spec'ed at 11 max drag.  Can this be increased?  Primary use will be heavy surf casting for sharks and bull reds.  Cheers! J

redsetta

G'day Jason,
Given some of the issues you found with your 115H2, it's hard to know what'll work easily and what may require some finessing, but...
Double dogs for sure and a Jigmaster S/S sleeve.
It'll already have CF drag, except under the main gear.
The 4/0 Kolekar will fit (as per the below).
Re: the double dogs, here's how Sal and I broached it:
Re: drag capacity, I reckon around 15lb max (ie 3+1).
If the budget allows, a topless T3 Tiburon frame ($66) is a cracker addition too.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Will look forward to the story as it unfolds. ;) ;D
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

JasonF

Great info Justin.  Thanks!  Im especially glad to see that a SS sleeve exists.  I did not knot that the jigmaster shares guts with any Senator.  Is Alan your source for the sleeve?  I have two extra SS dogs for the 115.  I assume 112 dogs are smaller so I will just machine them using the stock brass dog as a template.  I can imagine getting the double dog set up will be a bigger challenge than that 115 was.

Bryan Young

Alan or if you are going to buy parts from Penn Parts, you may want to add it in that order.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: JasonF on June 28, 2012, 11:11:07 PM
 I can imagine getting the double dog set up will be a bigger challenge than that 115 was.

Yes, it will be much harder installing the double dogs on smaller senators reels, but if we can do it, so can anyone else. Good luck with your project.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JasonF

Well it looks like I will be starting this project with an American reel.  I checked with the place that I bought my 9/0 Accuframe to se if he has a 3/0 but all he has is this new 112H with Accuframe for $99.  Im stoked!

Bryan Young

Wow, $99 for a new 112H with an Accurate frame.  SCORE bradah!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonF

No kidding!  :) Did the American 3/0's have HT100 drags?  I know the Chinese do.  Just wondering if I need to order a set since I wont get this reel for a week or so.

akfish

I believe the the 112H2 has a different gear sleeve that older the 112H. This might mean you can't use the stainless steel gear sleeve that alan sells on it.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

JasonF

Now that I found the 112 pictured above I dont have to worry about 112H2 compatibility.  The 115L2 uses a different gear sleeve but Alan's is compatible.  The difference with the Chinese reel's gear sleeve is how the handle attatches, by nut rather than bolt.  When I spoke to Penn they said parts are cross compatible.

George4741

Quote from: JasonF on June 29, 2012, 03:04:35 AM
No kidding!  :) Did the American 3/0's have HT100 drags?  I know the Chinese do.  Just wondering if I need to order a set since I wont get this reel for a week or so.

Yes, the newer USA made 112H Senators have HT100s.

Nice catch on the reel.  Seeing things like this (and similar deals on ebay) makes me wonder why I sometimes bought Accurate or Tiburon kits when I could've bought complete customized reels for less.
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

Quote from: George4741 on June 29, 2012, 04:34:27 AM
Quote from: JasonF on June 29, 2012, 03:04:35 AM

Yes, the newer USA made 112H Senators have HT100s.

Nice catch on the reel.  Seeing things like this (and similar deals on ebay) makes me wonder why I sometimes bought Accurate or Tiburon kits when I could've bought complete customized reels for less.
George, it's because you know that you did it right, and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Jason, you shouldn't have any problems with the gear sleeve.  They are designed for the USA made senators and jigmasters.  BTW, do you have the one with a single hole or double hole?

JasonF

I just ordered it a few hours ago so I have no idea how many holes.  BTW, holes in what?

Bryan Young

It's the hole where the gear sleeve securement pin goes into.  There is also course and fine threads depending on the star that comes with your reel.  If you have the one with 2 holes, one will definitely fit.