My First Reel Service - Penn 14/0

Started by pbmang, July 02, 2012, 03:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

she still let's you into the kitchen with fishing reel?  my wife put a stop to that 10 years ago.  you two just got married, right?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pbmang

Haha...depends on how long "just" is.  We are going on 3 years next month.  But, we have lived together for almost 7, so I think this is one battle she has given up on.  But, I did get a call this AM, asking when I was going to clean off the counter.  I figure I have 2 more days before it HAS to be gone   ;D

George4741

My wife has the living room and one bedroom cluttered with her quilting projects.  She doesn't complain when I use one end of the breakfast table for my reel repairs, as the garage is hotter than Hades in the summer.  Besides, she can keep a closer eye on me. ;)  However, the dining room table is definitely OFF LIMITS.  I think it was Albert who said "his wife is a treasure".  Mine is, too. ;D
viurem lliures o morirem

Makule

QuoteI think it was Albert who said "his wife is a treasure".

Yes, and how the heck did she wind up with me?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

pbmang

Well, I have hit a bit of a snag. After driving myself crazy trying to figure out why my drag stack wasn't adding up I finally figured out that Penn Parts only sent me 6 of the 7 HT100 washers. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal and I would just call them up and wait on the one washer BUT...on Friday I am heading to the coast to do some shark fishing and will be taking this reel with me (hopefully).  I used some of the old washers and came up with something that seems to give me pretty good drag performance but it is a bit touchy. In case I can't get the extra washer in time, what do you guys think of this setup?

Starting at the main gear the order of washers would be fiber, bevelled, fiber, eared, fiber, beveled, fiber, eared, fiber, beveled, fiber, eared, 2x beveled, drag cover, beveled, spring washer, drag star, handle washer, handle?  When I say beveled, I am talking about the oval cut metal washers.

pbmang

I am also noticing a fair amount of play in the spool from left to right. So much so that you can push the bearing cap to where it is flush with the side plate. Is this an issue of just part of these older reels?

Thanks for all the help thus far!

alantani

not a big deal.  you would have to shim the bearing to get rid of the play. 

pbmang

Thanks for the quick reply on that Mr. Tani!  Any thoughts/ideas on the drag setup, assuming I can't get the additional washer in time? 

Also, here is a picture of it fully assembled and hanging out next to its little brother. Vinegar and elbow grease reaaly did go a long way on this one!

alantani

any old washers left?  just grease it up and throw it in!

pbmang

Haha. I do still have the asbestos ones laying around. I will get one tomirrow and try to rough it up a bit. That never even crossed my mind. Haha

alantani

the only important thing is that you do not have metal against metal. 

redsetta

Change 'bevelled' to 'keyed' and we're getting close ;) ;D
After the last keyed washer goes the large belleville (#86), then the drag cover (#156), tension spring (#8) and star drag etc.
Unless it's a typo, you may have an extra washer between the drag cover and tension spring.
Let us know how it works out.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

You might need to shim both sides if you have a lot of sideway play to keep the spool centered.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: pbmang on July 10, 2012, 02:47:23 AM

Also, here is a picture of it fully assembled and hanging out next to its little brother. Vinegar and elbow grease reaaly did go a long way on this one!

Nice photo and impressive gear!  Can you tell us what the rods are?   
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

pbmang

Quote from: redsetta on July 10, 2012, 02:57:29 AM
Change 'bevelled' to 'keyed' and we're getting close ;) ;D
After the last keyed washer goes the large belleville (#86), then the drag cover (#156), tension spring (#8) and star drag etc.
Unless it's a typo, you may have an extra washer between the drag cover and tension spring.
Let us know how it works out.
Cheers, Justin

Haha...sounds good.  Just to make sure I know what I'm looking at too, the belleville washer is the one that is not flat, but has a bit of bend/cup to it, similar to the tension spring, but much less extreme?  Also, I do have an extra washer between the drag cover and the tension spring.  I added it because there seemed like too much space between the actual reel handle and the star drag.  I stuck it in there as a spacer, so I have a feeling I am missing something since that space is there to begin with.

I did talk to Penn Parts this AM, and the 7th drag washer is in the mail.  Hopefully it will show up by Thursday so I can have this put together correctly...haha