My First Reel Service - Penn 14/0

Started by pbmang, July 02, 2012, 03:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbmang

As a quick background (and follow up to my first post), my name is Chris, and I live in North Georgia (for you foreigners, that is on the eastern side of the US).  Saltwater fishing has always been a favorite of mine, but due to living 6 hours from the nearest coast, it didn't happen too much.  I am lucky enough to live less than a mile from our local lake though, and through local fishing forums, I have made quite a few friends in the area.  After some talking, we decided to head to the coast of Georgia for a few days of surf fishing, with the emphasis on catching some big sharks.  There were 6 of us on the trip, and one "big" shark rod, and despite only 3 larger sharks being caught, we still had a blast, and 4 of us have been slowly buying gear for our next outing (which will be in 2 weeks).

I cannot count how many emails and text messages we have sent each other as we stumble across deals on craigslist and other fishing forums.  Once such deal with an slightly abused 14/0 and 130lb class rod, located about 3 states north.  The other guys in the group were a bit gun shy on this one, but being the kind of guy who likes to fix stuff, I contacted the seller, and we came to what we both felt like was a fair price, and now I have a 14/0 sitting in my office, and *hopefully* the rod will show up tomorrow.  After an initial inspection, the drag star is a little grungy when you turn it, but the drag pressure does increase as you turn it.  The clicker works, it's a little quiet, but functional and the spool turns very well.  My only major concern is the spool itself.  The part visible above the line it is very pitted and rough.  I am thinking a very light filing with steel wool to get rid of the sharp burs, and then possibly covering it with clear nail polish to get rid of the abrasiveness.  However, I am very open to ideas on this from everyone else.  Coming from freshwater fishing, reel maintenance is not something I have ever really done, so this is a whole new world for me!

On the reel itself, most of the discoloration just appears to be on the surface, and a good scrubbing should take it out.  My boss happens to be a huge car guy, and he looked at the reel as well (it's pretty big news in the office since we never use gear like this) and he said he thinks with some polishing, it could look like almost new.

I did have one other question as well.  One of the screws that holds the reel harness on managed to get snapped in shipping.  It looks like I could just go to Home Depot and pick up a stainless hook screw to replace that, versus buying one from Penn Parts and having it shipped.  Is there anything I am obviously missing here?  I do believe they are reverse threaded, and I'm not sure how hard that would be to track down, but assuming I can find one in a hardware store, is there any reason why I shouldn't use it versus a Penn part?

Hopefully tonight I will being the tear down and cleaning and will update with some pictures!

Thanks
Chris

Irish Jigger

The harness screws are chromed brass, some having right hand screw threads and some left hand screw threads (reverse threaded.)
I would advise ordering the proper Penn part rather than attempting to pick up an alternative and hoping the threads match.

I usually clean my corroded (and much smaller) spools using a drill press by chucking one spindle end and running the other in a block of nylon drilled to suit the opposite end of the spindle.  Run the drill press at med/slow revs and grease the hole in the nylon block which must be secured to the drill press table.

Nice reel should clean up well.

pbmang

You may be right Irish, it may be better to simply order the correct part.  Especially since they are only about $2.50 each.  I see what you are saying about cleaning the spool, but I don't have those tools at my disposal.  I may try and rig up something though with that concept.

I think tonight I am going to get all the chrome pieces off and let them soak in some white vinegar over night and then tomorrow afternoon hit them with the old tooth brush and see how they are looking then.  I am excited to see if I can make this thing shine a little bit.

redsetta

QuoteI usually clean my corroded (and much smaller) spools using a drill press by chucking one spindle end and running the other in a block of nylon drilled to suit the opposite end of the spindle.  Run the drill press at med/slow revs and grease the hole in the nylon block which must be secured to the drill press table.
That's a great idea Tom - thanks of sharing!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

Thank's Justin,just watch the speed. ;)
Chris, do a search on here for "chrome cleaning" etc and you will find a wealth of information  on gunk removal and cleaning tarnished parts.

pbmang

Just got it all apart, and it really does not look too bad...whew!

Here is a picture of my current drag washers.  Alan wanted me to post a picture once I got it apart to see if they were worth salvaging, of if I just needed to order a whole new set.  What do you guys think?

Also, I found this crusty old thing that seemed like a rubber washer that was under the reel handle.  I'm guessing this is what I replace with the new HT 100 washer?  I'm pretty sure it's #4 on the parts diagram.

And finally, is there a trick to getting this bearing off the spool spindle?  I don't want to be too rough and break it, but I can't seem to get it loose.

Tonight everything is soaking in some vinegar and getting ready for a brushing tomorrow.  I'm pretty excited to get this thing up and running!

Makule

Chris,

Assuming you have the one-piece spool, which I think it is based on the image of the outside, the reel is a fine workhorse and is built like a tank.  It should last you many years and handle anything you can throw at it (or hold on to).

Good to soak the bearing in acetone/transmission oil (50/50) combo and then try to pry it off use two wide screwdrivers.  If the reel has not been serviced for a long time, it's possible/likely that the bearing is rusted on and should be replaced (readily available).  If that's the case, remove the bearing any way you can, but be careful not to damage the spool or the spindle/shaft as that cannot be replaced separately (whole spool needs to be replaced and it's expensive).

Good to clean up the drag metal washer with steel wool and oil.  Appears you have the old asbestos type washers and those should be changed to carbon fiber (CF).  Even if you clean up the asbestos type washers and they look good, they glaze up very fast, especially after a nice run (and then get very jerky).  That red fiber washer goes under the main gear sleeve (which you had to remove by punching out a tiny pin), but that should also be changed to CF.

The screws are fillister head screws.  Not normally easy to find in a hardware store.

The line on your reel is dacron.  Good idea to change it.  Dacron does deteriorate (takes a long time, but it does), and you don't know where it's weak.  Also good idea to remove all of it from the spool since you want to clean up and protect the spool.  If the spool is not the solid one-piece type (you'll know because the center piece will show two small flanges where it connects to the sides), you should exercise caution if loading with mono (use lots of backing first).  Chances are the spool is solid so you should be fine, however.  Clean up the spool and if there are any raw bronze showing, put some kind of tough coating on that raw spot.  Then put Corrosion X to coat the surface.

Welcome.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

G'day Chris,
Looks like you'll have great fun with this over the coming days.
Albert's got you on the right track, ditch those old drag washers and replace with seven HT-100s and the metal washer kit here:
The red fibre washer goes beneath the main gear rather than the sleeve - I assume that was a typo in Albert's post.
Definitely replace that with a CF washer too.
Sal may know the size but, ideally, it should be the thicker HT-100 or it'll get squashed under heavy load.
Will look forward to the rest of the story as it unfolds. ;) ;D
Good luck, Justin

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Yes, I would replace all the washers. Here is a kit of the metal washers at a very good price:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/7C-117.aspx
Get yourself 8 of these also, replace that crusty washer with 1 of the HT 100 for under the main gear and place 7 in the gear.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-117.aspx
About that stuck bearing, spray some penetrating oil on the underside and let it soak for a little while. Alan showed us a good trick that I use often and it works. Get yourself two slotted screwdrivers of a good size, place the tip under the bearing, facing eachother and gently twist them in the opposite direction, that should do it.
If you get stuck with some parts, check out : servicing a Penn 16/0, here...it's the same reel.
Good luck! Sal

Sorry Justin and Albert, looks like we where typing at the same time.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

pbmang

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies everyone!  Alan sent me the ht100 washer for the gear sleve so all I need now is to replace the drag set, get a new brace screw and left side bearing. I was able to finally get the bearing loose and it was solid rust. I thought something was up when I was pulling the line off the spool because I could see the bearing cap spinning, so that clued me in pretty quickly that something was up there. I'm about to retire for the evening but I have most of the parts soaking in vinegar tonight and will hit the gears with some carb cleaner tomorrow. Once I get it all clean and sorted out I'll put in an order with Scott's and hopefully be up and running by the middle of next week!

George4741

Hi Chris,
I would love to have a project like yours.  About the corrosion and pitting on the chromed stuff.  You can spend a LOT of money replacing otherwise serviceable parts, but why?  I would polish up things as best as I could, but don't use steel wool.  I have several reels that have those fine scratches from steel wool.  Very annoying to me. >:(  I'd rather he/they had left the corrosion alone.

Enjoy your reel,
George         
viurem lliures o morirem

pbmang

Thanks for the advice George!  I let a majority of the parts soak in vinegar last night, and am very happy with the results this morning.  My wife was running late, so she woke me up to feed the animals and make her a lunch (she leaves for work 1.5 hours before I do) so that gave me some extra time to check on my parts.  I pulled them out of the vinegar and gave them a light scrubbing with a dish rag, and a majority of the nastyness came right off!  There is still some pitting going on, but the parts look 100% better. 

I know it's a bad picture, but I shot it with my cell on the way out the door for work:

And this is my left side bearing.  No wonder it wouldn't come off:

Tonight I am going to compile a list of everything I need, including the drag washers, new bearing, new harness hook and also a part of a smaller senator I have laying around, and hopefully get the parts in by early next week.  Hopefully it will all go together as easily as it came apart!   :o

john2244

You may also want to consider a bearing for the handle side of your reel.   Just in case it is not perfert.
John

Makule

QuoteThe red fibre washer goes beneath the main gear rather than the sleeve - I assume that was a typo in Albert's post.

Thank you for being "generous".  Not a typo.  Brain fart.  Been thinking too much legal stuff (helping my lawyer friend) and it's screwing up my mechanical thinking.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

pbmang

Just placed my order with Penn Parts.  Got new drag washers and HT 100 disc's, bearings as well as a new screw for the rod brace.  Can't wait to get it in (and neither can my wife, so I can get everything out of the kitchen)!   :P