My First Reel Service - Penn 14/0

Started by pbmang, July 02, 2012, 03:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbmang

Quote from: George4741 on July 10, 2012, 03:53:55 AM
Nice photo and impressive gear!  Can you tell us what the rods are?   
  George

Thanks George!  The 9/0 is on a no-name fiberglass blank that feels like a 50lb blank.  I actually just re-wrapped the guides on it (first time doing that) and they came out decent.  Not the prettiest, but they seem sturdy!

The 14/0 is on a South Bend Harnell 130lb blank.  It has full rollers and a 2 piece butt.  This is by far the beefiest rod I have ever held, and should be just what the doctor ordered in case a monster shark jumps on our line.  Without line, I think the whole setup is easily over 10lbs, if not closer to 15.  Luckily we have a full fighting harness, so we won't have to fight the rod and the fish when we hook up.

redsetta

QuoteI think it was Albert who said "his wife is a treasure".  Mine is, too.  ;D
Good call lads.
Mine's off in Ireland at present and it's sure quiet around the house once my daughter goes to sleep.
Been plowing through the reels though - so far this week (well, since the weekend anyway) it's been two Tiagra 80Ws, two International 80STWs and one 50SW, an Ambassadeur 6500Ci, one TLD20 and two TR100s.
Only a 320LD and Everol 14/0 to go and it's only Wednesday...
Better slow down - the devil makes work for idle hands, as they say ;) ;D

pbmang - sounds like you've got it sorted.
Looking forward to some fish pics! ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Harry

Gday, the play you have in the spool could be that a tiny little spacer/ washer that sits on the spool shaft on the non handle side that might be missing , its easy to loose . Sal told me about it and it was the item i needed to get rid of the play on a 12/0.   goodluck!