penn 113H maroon senator special convertion

Started by joe_dejesus, July 16, 2012, 12:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_dejesus

Want to convert my 113H maroon colored sides senator special to left hand.  My question is the one side plate, what
do i look for to see if my sideplate can acomodate the switch?  Not sure even if marron side plates come left handed?

thanks!
Joe

akfish

Many side plates can be used. Look for the area that holds the dog. There should be one on each side of the plate. You'll then need to get a LH bridge, LH gears, and LH star. It's not a cheap conversion...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

joe_dejesus

I have those parts on hand,  Im just not sure if the side frame needs changing.

john2244

Post a pic and someone will be able to tell you if your side plate needs changing.

Alto Mare

You know, if you install an additional dog in that baby, you won't need to worry about having the right plate ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

joe_dejesus

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 16, 2012, 10:51:17 PM
You know, if you install an additional dog in that baby, you won't need to worry about having the right plate ;)

I suppose the cavity for dog on other side needs to be there correct? 

I want to crack it open but woried i wont be able to put it back together! LOL    manuals I find show starting point
showing internals with reel open.    whats the least disruptive way to peek inside ?   I just hate things that POP APPART when they are opened...  LOL.

joe

Alto Mare

Joe, how are you going to convert that reel if you're afraid of it? ;D.
Go ahead and crack it open, we're here to help you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

joe_dejesus

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 17, 2012, 12:31:31 AM
Joe, how are you going to convert that reel if you're afraid of it? ;D.
Go ahead and crack it open, we're here to help you.

LOL your correct!  I just hate to need sideplate and wait for it to arrive...  let me crack it open...

Joe

joe_dejesus

OK...  I cracket it open and all is well except I lost dog spring... LOL    not sure where it went.

I need a dog spring...

I guess I need side plate also correct?   Maybe I can do the dual dog mod?   is there a upgraded dog I can get
since im getting parts already?      where can i get parts?

here is a photo:

Alto Mare

Good job Joe, you only lost a spring ;D.
The plate that you have will not work for the conversion.
Here are some options:
If you're comfortable carving that plate to accept a second dog, go for it.
If you're not comfortable doing so, ebay has a few plates available, the price is from $15 to $25.
If you want me to carve that plate for the double dog, just send me a pm. Your costs would be shipping.
I don't know where you 're at, sometimes shipping is not worth it.
Sal

Dominick

Sal it looks like someone gave that reel the Tani treatment already.  You think?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

joe_dejesus

what is the gain by adding second dog?

I think by the time i add shipping both ways i might as well get a new plate, thank you tho.

Alto Mare

Joe, we all have different views on it. I like having a back up dog and believe that it's a good thing.
I'll give you some info on where to get some parts, but you need to watch yourself, you could get carried away.
I believe that Alan still has the ss sleeve, Dawn at smoothdrag.com has the drags and Keta (Lee) has the ss dogs.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Dominick, no I don't believe so, the grease isn't blue :-\.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 17, 2012, 02:54:23 AM
Sal:  Go back and look again :o after the zin wears off.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

joe_dejesus

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 17, 2012, 02:54:23 AM
Joe, we all have different views on it. I like having a back up dog and believe that it's a good thing.
I'll give you some info on where to get some parts, but you need to watch yourself, you could get carried away.
I believe that Alan still has the ss sleeve, Dawn at smoothdrag.com has the drags and Keta (Lee) has the ss dogs.
Let me know if you need anything else.

remember...  converting to left hand,  do they make SS parts for left hand crank???