Penn 9500ss upgrades, where to begin ?

Started by lmg, July 21, 2012, 12:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmg

I recently purchased a 9500ss for shore fishing for shark. I have done some research and have noted that the drag is usually upgraded to ht-100, if my memory serves me right. What else should I do to upgrade the reel ? I have also read about ceramic bearings, is this a recommend upgrade or will I even notice a difference ? Also, which websites would I  be able to purchase these upgrades ? Thanks

miamipescador

You can purchase the carbon fiber drags from smooothdrag.com
Give them a call, great customer service.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

The 9500SS already comes with HT-100 carbon fiber drag washers, so you really don't need to upgrade them a thin coat of Cal's Drag Grease is a good idea but don't bother buying new drag washers.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

miamipescador

According to the schematic the 9500SS never hard HT-100's, the washer on top of the spools is teflon, and under the spool was just a metal washer.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/9500ss.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

Yes the washer above the spool is teflon, part # 56T-704. It's a good idea to replace that washer with the HT100, part #6-155.
The Ht100 under the spool is glued to the plate and it will do, but when it's time to chage it, go with this kit#6-950 MSP, money well spent.
I'm also going to recommend this drag knob:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/52N-650N.aspx
The older knob that comes with the 9500SS will usually crack under tension, especially on this reel. The knob replasement is only $10.50 and it comes with a rubber seal...can't beat that.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

lmg

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 21, 2012, 08:32:50 PM
Yes the washer above the spool is teflon, part # 56T-704. It's a good idea to replace that washer with the HT100, part #6-155.
The Ht100 under the spool is glued to the plate and it will do, but when it's time to chage it, go with this kit#6-950 MSP, money well spent.
I'm also going to recommend this drag knob:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/52N-650N.aspx
The older knob that comes with the 9500SS will usually crack under tension, especially on this reel. The knob replasement is only $10.50 and it comes with a rubber seal...can't beat that.

I actually had a knob crack on my 5500ss, ordered one similar to the one you posted. I will be receiving the reel within a couple of days, seller stated it was used a handful of times, comes with the box and papers, looks mint in the pictures. I would rather purchase all the upgrades now, and install them on the initial breakdown and clean up of the reel then have to do it 1 piece at a time. So, correct me if I am wrong, but what I should purchase and install is:
Washer, above spool - #6-155
Under spool kit - # 6-950 MSP
Drag knob - #52N-650N

Are there any other modifications, such as bearings, that I should consider ? I have heard great things about ceramic boca bearings. They are a little on the expensive side and am not sure whether they are actually worth it and if I will be able to tell a difference. Thanks !

lmg

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 21, 2012, 04:44:32 PM
If you are in the US, I've got
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j335/redsetta/Penn%209500SS/Penn_9500SS_12-tooth_gear-web.jpg from Redsetta along with SS dogs.

I am new to modifying fishing reels, what exactly is the benefit of the 12 tooth gear ? I can see the benefit of stainless steel on a drag but what exactly do the dogs do ? Thanks

Alto Mare

Quote from: lmg on July 22, 2012, 05:57:15 AM

I actually had a knob crack on my 5500ss, ordered one similar to the one you posted. I will be receiving the reel within a couple of days, seller stated it was used a handful of times, comes with the box and papers, looks mint in the pictures. I would rather purchase all the upgrades now, and install them on the initial breakdown and clean up of the reel then have to do it 1 piece at a time. So, correct me if I am wrong, but what I should purchase and install is:
Washer, above spool - #6-155
Under spool kit - # 6-950 MSP
Drag knob - #52N-650N

Are there any other modifications, such as bearings, that I should consider ? I have heard great things about ceramic boca bearings. They are a little on the expensive side and am not sure whether they are actually worth it and if I will be able to tell a difference. Thanks !

Yes that is correct.
If the reel was only used a couple of times, I would hold on about replacing the under the spool Kit, part#6-950MSP.
About the ceramic bearings, someone else is going to have to answer that question, I've never used them.
Bearings on he 9500ss should be greased, not oiled.

Quote from: lmg on July 22, 2012, 05:59:42 AM

I am new to modifying fishing reels, what exactly is the benefit of the 12 tooth gear ? I can see the benefit of stainless steel on a drag but what exactly do the dogs do ? Thanks
These parts mentioned above have been known to fail, the 9500ss generates over 20lb of drag. Another issue is with the dog screws,
although I never had that problem, some mentioned that they do get lose. I do not like to use locktite on reels, but I found a light duty threadlock no.22 that I've been using...just to make sure.
To me the SS spinner is one of the best reel for the money that Penn ever put out, I have many. the parts that didn't hold up are not a big deal, thanks to Justin (redsetta) we are now able to take care of those.
Penn just introduced the V model that's coming out soon, I'm pretty sure that I will still be holding on to my SS models. It will be very hard for them to change my mind on these.
Take care.
Sal

lmg

Is this washer also compatible with the 9500ss ?  I was looking around the website and it states it works for the 9500ss and is a ht100 were the other washer I could not find a option for the 9500ss in the "Select a reel" area.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-60.aspx
Also, how many washers, above the reel, do I need ? Thanks

Alto Mare

I gave you the wrong part # for the ht100 on top of the spool, this is the right part:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-60.aspx
The kit for under the spool is right, but again, I wouldn't change it just yet....that one is also one washer as the top.

From the link, click on "select reel" below and it will let you know on how many reels you could use that washer.
I also want to mention that if you have a 750/7500SS, the 6-60 will also work to replace the teflon washer for under the spool, but you'll need to enlarge the inner hole a bit.
Sal

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Alan, I believe that they're starting to listen to you. Scott's never had a ht 100 replacement for a teflon washer, if you click on the link above you'll see what i mean.

Img, I forgot to mention that if you also have a 650ss or 6500ss, you could use the 6-60 to replace the teflon washer under the spool....no modifictions needed. for the top of the spool you'll need 6-155.

redsetta

G'day lmg,
I assume you've received the dogs, gear and spring.
Did all go well with the upgrade?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer