lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the legend

Xtreme Reel + lube

Alan, I see you seem to be a fan.  Somewhere I read a review where a guy said the awesome long distance casting effects only lasted for about an hour after he used it.  I see where you and a few others have been impressed with the free spool time.  Have you personally noticed this or had any complaints about the spin time decreasing over time?

alantani

not anymore.  gave up on it.  it was great for a few weeks, then slowed down.  tsi 301 was found by jim nomura and it seems to work the best and the longest.  my reels are still spinning after 2-3 years. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Inspiro

Just a few questions for beginners like myself
1-Corrosion X or Corrosion X-HD??, aerosol or trigger??
2-Cal's grease(gold sticker on 1-oz container cap) or Cal's grease purple(silver & purple sticker)??
links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cals-Universal-Reel-and-Star-Drag-Grease-1-oz-/281125778737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417466f531
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cals-Universal-Reel-and-Star-Drag-Grease-1-oz-Purple-/271131628046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f20b4520e

Thanks in advance

Keta

Quote from: Inspiro on July 24, 2013, 08:55:04 AM
Just a few questions for beginners like myself
1-Corrosion X or Corrosion X-HD??, aerosol or trigger??
2-Cal's grease(gold sticker on 1-oz container cap) or Cal's grease purple(silver & purple sticker)??
links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cals-Universal-Reel-and-Star-Drag-Grease-1-oz-/281125778737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417466f531
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cals-Universal-Reel-and-Star-Drag-Grease-1-oz-Purple-/271131628046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f20b4520e

Thanks in advance

I use the standard Corrosion X and the purple Cal's it less viscous and for cold temperature applications.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mymaddy1

has anybody ever used Marvel Mystery Oil in the lubrication of their fishing reels?

broadway

This goes to the question about Cal's colored grease.
   I have both... the tan is more universal.  I've used the tan is sub freezing conditions many of times without any problems.  You could always get both and change it with the seasons to feel better, but you're fine with just tan.
Dom

Chase106

Hello, I found your forum while looking for a recommendation grease for my reel.
I did not think that there is such a forum!

I read at the forum and saw some recommendations, my problem is that I have no where to purchase.
I have a new Shimano Stradic CI4+ 2500FA spinning reel, which is my first Shimano reel.

I did not know whether I need the internal gear grease, oil bearings, and drag grease, or do not need to grease the inner gear and just dripping oil through the service hole.
In addition, most of my fishing is in saltwater when temperatures are between 15 ° C in winter to 35 ° C in summer.

And now the big problem, the only place I can buy It is through eBay, do you have a recommendation of suitable materials I could find on eBay?

Chase106

Since this is the only website that send to Israel.

The Yamaha marine grease, it's all round/inner gear/drag?

alantani

no, you can't use a hydrocarbon-based grease on drag washers.  you need cal's grease.  go to mysticparts.com.  they have tsi 321 (preferred), reel x, cal's drag grease and an all-purpose blue penn grease and they MIGHT be able to ship all of that to israel.  if not, let me know........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Chase106

Something very strange, if I'm looking for the grease on eBay myself, I can not find it at all. But you did find ...

Israel is not listed in mysticparts.com, but Iraq listed :)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Chase106

If i will lubricate a fresh water hook with TSI 321, it will help against corrosion for 3 hours of using in salt water?
Or the TSI 321 dropped quickly off the hook and will not help?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

has anybody used LSD, not the hallucinogenic drug, limited slip differential oil for CF washers? if no one i'll be the first to find out if it works. i'll be testing the Red Line Synthetic 80W140 Gear Oil. results will probably in dec. stay tuned...

bluefish69

I do know LSD Spray worked great on Dampers in large HVAC units. It kept them free & moving for a few months in a Salt Air of the East River in NYC

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Pro Reel

While we are talking about this, what exactly is the difference between drag grease and any other grease? I know we all say to use cals or a similar "drag" grease for drags, but why and what makes the cals suitable? Is it the fact that it's a synthetic? if so, wouldn't any synthetic also work well for drags then?