lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the second

What do you think of this fat? Can I use it to drag washer?

the second

And that other fat? In Italy, I could not find Cal's oil. Only Penn and Mitchell Troivo X7. You know him? And 'good? thanks

the second

This grease you know?

alantani

the products you've shown should all be hydrocarbon based, not tefon based.  for drag washers, you have to use a teflon grease.  hydrocarbon or lithium based products will not work.  you can use any of them on any part of the reel except the drag washer.  sorry, alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Riminds me when I came from Italy in the 70's, I was trying to translate Italian words to English ;D, The word Fat is used as for grease there, well.....fat is grease.

The second, Mysticparts.com should ship Cal's to Italy, that's the grease that Alan recommends for drag washers, you can use the Penn grease for everything else except the bearings, we use reel-x for bearings and yamaha marine grease. Good luck!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

If you can't get Cal's "fat" shipped look for high temperature Teflon steam turbine packing grease.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

edgarz

alantani

yeah, saw that.  it's great at telling you what it does, what it doesn't do, and what it is, but not so specific about what it's made of.   :-\

edgarz

As long as it's good for my reels and green then I won't mind Alan.  ;D

fmin148

I want to use Cal's grease for ht 100 drag washers for Newell 200 and 300 series reels and Penn reels. Should I use the tan or blue Cal's grease? The reels will be used in the Northeast?

alantani

either one will be fine!

inhotpursuit

Wow just found this site by accident, i have read some of your posts on other forum but i did not know you had your own site.I have been tuning and upgradeing reels for a few years and have tried several oils and reel greases little did i know the best was allready in my greasegun for my yamaha 90hp. I am with you on the topic of greasing carbontex washers i was using super lube multipurpose grease on my reels for drag and bearings with no problems untill i went fishing last weekend and took a dip in the river , no damage done this time but the lube turned into oleo,as of today its yamaha lube for the innards and cals for the drag.
All my reels have ceramic hybrid spool bearings i prefer to leave one side open and i have been cleaning them with quickstart fluid and then oiling with rocket fuel tourniment grade just before a fishing trip, for the most anglers are astounded at the distance acheaved with ceramics but are put off by the upkeep neccesary to keep them free running, i am really interested in the tsi 301 you are talking about where can this and the other lubes  you listed  be found? i live in canada and for the most have to get most of my supplies from the US. Cheers glad i found this forum

alantani

glad to have you aboard!

antonv

Quote from: inhotpursuit on October 26, 2011, 12:47:45 AM
Wow just found this site by accident, i have read some of your posts on other forum but i did not know you had your own site.I have been tuning and upgradeing reels for a few years and have tried several oils and reel greases little did i know the best was allready in my greasegun for my yamaha 90hp. I am with you on the topic of greasing carbontex washers i was using super lube multipurpose grease on my reels for drag and bearings with no problems untill i went fishing last weekend and took a dip in the river , no damage done this time but the lube turned into oleo,as of today its yamaha lube for the innards and cals for the drag.
All my reels have ceramic hybrid spool bearings i prefer to leave one side open and i have been cleaning them with quickstart fluid and then oiling with rocket fuel tourniment grade just before a fishing trip, for the most anglers are astounded at the distance acheaved with ceramics but are put off by the upkeep neccesary to keep them free running, i am really interested in the tsi 301 you are talking about where can this and the other lubes  you listed  be found? i live in canada and for the most have to get most of my supplies from the US. Cheers glad i found this forum

Hey! nice to see you here kenny!  Did that really happen to SuperLube grease when it got dunked in freshwater?  It clearly states on their label that it's impervious to saltwater.  When I got my order of SuperLube, I immediately changed out the cheap reel grease I had been using to these  >:(   On the bright side, I like its consistency.  Not too light, and not too tacky either.

@Alan, how often do you apply TSI 301 to your bearings? and how does it hold up against corrosion?  On a normal basis, I put 1 drop of SpeedX to each of my spool bearings every 2-3 freshwater trips or after each saltwater trip.  If TSI 301 doesn't need to be reapplied for longer periods of time, don't you get worried that rust might have gotten into your bearings?

By the way kenny, I'm not too sure if TSI 301 will work on ceramics.  From what I've read it only bonds to metals, and knowing you, all your bearings are ceramic :)

alantani

my makairas are fine after one year with tsi 301.......