lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebnash

Out of curiousity, why are you guys using grease guns.  I understand Alan is servicing tons of reels and has bearing packer cups with grease nipples, but don't most of you just use your fingers to apply grease?  I haven't found a need for a grease gun using a nipple or otherwise...  Granted, I only own about 10 reels that need servicing maybe once per year, just want to make sure I am not missing out on anything

Erik
Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste nothing, offer No Apologies...

Nessie Hunter

The bearing packer system will fully grease closed (or open) bearings.  The force of the Gun will go into the Shields and push out the old grease and replace with new...

Works wonders....   & keeps the shields on....
Saves a lot of time and messing around...

Thats all I use the Gun for.   
Everything else gets the brush or finger job... 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

ebnash

Gottcha!  I didn't know Alan was selling those bearing packers to others.  I only live a couple miles from his area so maybe I need to put together an order and go say hi :D

CoastieFlo

if u have a vet store nearby, a mid sized syringe makes a great grease applicator........get a large gauge needle & dremel the end and you have a poor mans grease gun :)

floating doc

Quote from: CoastieFlo on February 27, 2012, 10:09:11 AM
if u have a vet store nearby, a mid sized syringe makes a great grease applicator........get a large gauge needle & dremel the end and you have a poor mans grease gun :)

Yeah, I was going to try this. I'm a veterinarian, so I've got the basics. Another thing that I was thinking about trying was to take a syringe and remove the plunger, then drop a bearing into the bottom of it. Next put a dollop of grease in the barrel, re-insert the plunger and force the grease down and (hopefully) through the bearing.

To work, the bearing has to be only a bit smaller than the inner diameter of the syringe. I haven't done any test fits yet. I'm sure I'll end up buying one of Alan's bearing packers soon, but it was an idea.
Central Florida

CoastieFlo

That would probably work.....btw the local Ace and Napa both have needle adaptors for grease guns and all they are is a 18gauge needle pressed into a threaded nipple....so there u go lol.

Also this is good stuff, they make lube and also a grease.  http://www.corrosion-control.com/media/cms/pdf/cbgspecs.pdf
It not only dissolves corrosion but stops it and is non-conductive so a reaction cannot occur.  Here where I live is the largest beach dune riding area in the US and just about everyone uses it for their ATV's.

floating doc

Oh, Corrosion Block! I have a can left over from when I owned boats (prior to children :D).

Good stuff.
Central Florida

Keta

Quote from: CoastieFlo on February 27, 2012, 10:09:11 AM

18ga needles are too small and don't work and make sure the syringe is the kind that you twist the needle on or it flies off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

jim nomura uses one of these!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

floating doc

Quote from: alantani on March 03, 2012, 06:02:32 AM

What is it? It looks like an old oil can.
Central Florida

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on March 03, 2012, 06:02:32 AM

I used these too, but wish I had a spring that pushes on the plunger where the grease is.  I often have to push it manually.  But, at least these will stand on the table.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ebnash

So I went and got the bearing packers from Alan and they work awesome.  Don't really care for using the needle attachment for greasing holes as it usually puts too much in there.  When I try to put the screws in, it hydraulic locks.  I actually put a dimple in one of my Avet frames when I bolted it back together cause it pushed the grease and stretched a thin part of the aluminum.

I find it much easier to dip a straight seal pick in the grease and swab it around inside the screw hole.  Leaves the perfect amount of grease to fill in the threads.

LTM

Does this grease gun have a screw nozzle to accept Alan's bearing packing kit?

Leo

Bryan Young

You have to buy a female to female adapter.  i got mine from Ace Hardware.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mojocvh

Hello, I'd like to say hi from Scotland  :)

Just jumped on-board today, great site indeed  ;D  and IF I may indulge the experts.....

I have been reading about TSI-301 from links in this thread and I have to ask, is this not similar to MILTEC 

http://www.militec1.com/

OK I have noticed a difference in the speed of the action of my Benelli shotgun since applying Miltec, the theory between TSI and MILTEC seems eerily similar [but with miltec you heat the metal first even a hairdrier will do] can anyone cast light on this?

And finally can you get hold of TSI in the UK??

thanks for taking the time to read this,

all the best

Mo.
I loved my slosh's until that dammed Avet turned up!