lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I have MILTEC handy so I use it and it works well.  I'm not sure how it compares to TSI 301.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mojocvh

Quote from: Keta on April 04, 2012, 04:13:57 PM
I have MILTEC handy so I use it and it works well.  I'm not sure how it compares to TSI 301.

Wow! that was quick  ;)

Do you "warm" the bearings too??

Mo.
I loved my slosh's until that dammed Avet turned up!

Irish Jigger

Welcome to the site Mo.

Keta

D'oh.... Welcome aboard Mo.

Quote from: mojocvh on April 04, 2012, 04:19:23 PM
Do you "warm" the bearings too??

Most of my shop is not heated so I have to warm my grease gun and lube in the "office"/rod winding room before using it in the winter.  I don't usualy warm up the bearings.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mojocvh

OK just tried a wee experiment here, stripped out a 6500 rocket [awaiting parts to mag] and cleaned, then heated and lubed the bearing with miltec, back in oven [gas mk4!] till "warm" out, re lubed and refitted once cool, it's now matching my very quick, original green mag elite just about, sooo miltec seems to do the trick. Of course the important part is longevity so here's hoping once I get it magged I'll report back in time.

cheers for now and all the best

Mo.

alantani

no there's an idea.  gently warm a grease so that if flows, drop a bearing in, let it cool and then pluck it out of the semi-solid grease.  now the bearing is all nice and packed with grease!  you guys are brilliant!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mojocvh

Alan, I can't take any responsibility for that warming idea, it's part of the instructions for applying miltec.

What you are meant to do initially is apply the miltec as reqd, reassemble, shoot weapon until "hot" strip, clean, reapply miltec shoot again. Heat apparently allows it molecular whatever to happen quicker and last longer.

However, being a Scot and the price of ammunition being what it is these days, the block goes into the oven at 60C and the rest gets warmed with a hairdrier, surprisingly effective too!

cheers

Mo.

:P

broschro

how much grease do you need to put on gears  ???

Bryan Young

Just brush a light coat is sufficient.  If you put too much, you will notice that the grease is pushed away and the excess ends up in your sideplates...which will attract dirt, salt, etc.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broschro

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 16, 2012, 05:23:08 AM
Just brush a light coat is sufficient.  If you put too much, you will notice that the grease is pushed away and the excess ends up in your sideplates...which will attract dirt, salt, etc.

tHANKS BRYAN

Biggameaddict

I got this one from my dad. Its super tech marine grease, they come in three ounce cartridges and a three pack is 3 bucks, its the blue kind, works great and is cheap also comes with the smaller cartridges.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Marine-Grease-14-oz/16928008

The one in the link is the 14 ounce but just so you get a picture of it.

flyforfish21

Quote from: Biggameaddict on May 02, 2012, 05:49:45 PM
I got this one from my dad. Its super tech marine grease, they come in three ounce cartridges and a three pack is 3 bucks, its the blue kind, works great and is cheap also comes with the smaller cartridges.

Only problem is it turns black over time, and i found it seperates easily. Used it on a few reels, and it felt great, but oil kept leaking out from it, and it's not even hot out yet. I'd stick with the Yamaha/Evinrude for marine grease.

JMHO

Geoff

Gaujo

Quote from: flyforfish21 on May 03, 2012, 01:46:32 PM
Quote from: Biggameaddict on May 02, 2012, 05:49:45 PM

Only problem is it turns black over time, and i found it seperates easily. Used it on a few reels, and it felt great, but oil kept leaking out from it, and it's not even hot out yet. I'd stick with the Yamaha/Evinrude for marine grease.

JMHO

Geoff

Man i love this site, almost succomed to the temptation to use walmart crap! 
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

johnachak

Quote from: alantani on April 04, 2012, 11:10:58 PM
no there's an idea.  gently warm a grease so that if flows, drop a bearing in, let it cool and then pluck it out of the semi-solid grease.  now the bearing is all nice and packed with grease!  you guys are brilliant!

That truly is a great Idea.

Gaujo

Except if the grease were flamible!
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com