lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

oh, and welcome!!!!!!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

I have been using Quicksilver 2-4-C for about a year now (even for drags) it's sold/made by Mercury Marine. Seems to work fine. It is a PTFE marine grease and it's even available in the UK.
And welcome!

DavidKa

Thanks for welcoming!

Alan, Yamalube is still a preferred option?
Is it friendly to internal rubber and plastic parts?
Quicksilver 2-4-C is an interesting option! Thanks Tiddlerbasher.

BTW found Yamalube's MSDS and it also contains EP additive, probably zinc dithiophosphate.
Just saying that may be this japanese NASKALUBE is also worth a try?

johndtuttle

The primary goal David, is saltwater protection and the Marine Bearing Greases (of any type) are what are preferred for protection. Some are thicker, some thinner and people use whatever suits them. One type is not more protective than another, just may have a viscosity that people like.

Freshwater guys use a variety of "performance" lubes (as well as some Saltwater Manf.) to make their reels as free spinning as possible...but that is not our principal concern as much as the ravages of saltwater.

DavidKa

Quote from: johndtuttle on December 19, 2015, 01:24:59 AM
The primary goal David, is saltwater protection and the Marine Bearing Greases (of any type) are what are preferred for protection. Some are thicker, some thinner and people use whatever suits them. One type is not more protective than another, just may have a viscosity that people like.

Freshwater guys use a variety of "performance" lubes (as well as some Saltwater Manf.) to make their reels as free spinning as possible...but that is not our principal concern as much as the ravages of saltwater.
Also I'm fishing saltwater (mainly surf) my main goal is protect the reel from the rain.
If the reel washed with the wave and sand or dunked... well... it should be cleaned anyway.
So probably I need something marine grade with good water-washout-resistance but just more refined?

johndtuttle

Quote from: DavidKa on December 19, 2015, 02:41:13 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on December 19, 2015, 01:24:59 AM

Also I'm fishing saltwater (mainly surf) my main goal is protect the reel from the rain.
If the reel washed with the wave and sand or dunked... well... it should be cleaned anyway.
So probably I need something marine grade with good water-washout-resistance but just more refined?

Its not that complicated. You need no protection really from rain (rinsing in freshwater is good :) ). Any Marine Bearing grease is fine, we just thin them with an oil (ie Corrosion-x) if they are too thick for a small reel.

DavidKa

Quote from: johndtuttle on December 19, 2015, 04:02:46 AM
Its not that complicated. You need no protection really from rain (rinsing in freshwater is good :) ). Any Marine Bearing grease is fine, we just thin them with an oil (ie Corrosion-x) if they are too thick for a small reel.
Thanks! Should I consider grease complex (alu, lithium etc) when adding CorrosionX?
EDIT: what i meant - does the grease oil complex matters if I want to dilute it with oil?
Anyway... I couldn't find a good deal for Yamalube on ebay or amazon, shipping prices are delusional.
So I have to chose from Penn, Cal's purple, Johnson Evinrude Triple Guard and ReelX Medium grease...
The goal is max. protection BUT also max. smooothness  ;)

Cheers.

PS. Regarding rain protection. Old Certates has "washable" body concept e.g. many holes in the reel's body. So rain could be a problem with weak, "watery" grease.
New gears are pretty costly :P

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on December 18, 2015, 02:51:36 AM
i can tell you that both cal's grease and shimano drag grease are hygroscopic and will absorb moisture.  go with a good saltwater resistant outboard motor grease as a general purpose grease and leave the teflon products for drag washers only. 

this remains me that I need to clean up and re-lube with yamaha grease 3 of my own reels.

before getting bit serious on maintenance and repair reels I only had Cals grease on my tool box, so few of my reels are lubed completely with it (gears, internals, drags, etc). later, I started using yamaha marine for my friends and client's reels but mines still have Cals on the gears and internals, not a big deal but as the boss said, marine grease is better for them

The Baja Guy

gstours

Yamaha Marine Grease Supplier;
   AccGreas-10ct Yamahas famous to this forums Marine Multi-purpose Grease is now available in a 10 oz tube which would be handy,  available at Amazon.com  for $11.49 including free shipping.  I havent purchased any yet but it would be better to dispense than the big cartridge......

exp2000

Quote from: handi2 on November 26, 2015, 12:23:54 AM
Recently I have talked to JD Hill with Corrosion Technologies and he is considering making the CorrosionX grease available in 2 lb. tubs and the small tubes for the small grease guns for our reel repair shops and individuals.

I think that's great news..!

He will be browsing this forum when he gets back from vacation to see what product we like to use and make them available.

His response;

Hi Malcom,

That’s great news!

We are having some issues safely shipping our grease right now. Normally they would come 40 tubes to a case, but until we can come up with a custom shipping box for them, I think the safer thing to do is ship them to you in the inner carton (wrapped in bubble wrap, and that inside a shipping box), which would be 10 tubes per box.

We are looking at purchasing or leasing a new grease filler machine for packing cylinders and soft tubes, so if there is a specific size you’re interested in, please send me the size, measurement, as photo, etc., and I’ll see if I can add that to my shopping list. On these filling machines, each different size tube requires purchasing additional tooling.

We do have CorrosionX grease in bulk drums. We don’t have 2 lb. tubs, but that would be pretty easy for us to do. We would just need to source some containers and create the labels. I’ll pass the request along, and if we can bring in a small number of tubs, maybe we can do this for you.

I’ll be on vacation next week, but I’ll try to do some research on this for you.

Best regards,
- -
J.D. Hill
Vice President of Marketing

2638 National Drive • Garland, TX 75041
469.583.9218 mobile • 972.271.7361 office • 800.638.7361 toll free
corrosionx.com • jdhill@corrosionx.com 

CX started marketing their grease in 1kg tubs about a year ago. They released these after discontinuing the grease gun cartridges.

I bought two from our Australian agent which cost me a small fortune. I am not sure where in the food chain these are being bottled. I just assumed it was in the USA.

For the home user, the same stuff is marketed as Reel-X grease in 30 gram tubs with several viscosities.
~

exp2000

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 18, 2015, 09:21:44 AM
I have been using Quicksilver 2-4-C for about a year now (even for drags) it's sold/made by Mercury Marine. Seems to work fine. It is a PTFE marine grease and it's even available in the UK.
And welcome!

There is a Pro here in Oz who has been using this stuff for decades and swears by it. I will have to give it a try one day.

DavidKa

Just bought medium ReelX grease and oil from europe.
Couldn't find decent-priced option for Yamaha and Mercury, someone should start selling them on ebay in small 1-2oz packages, like Cal's and Penn from certain sellers.

Fish-aholic

Quote from: DavidKa on December 26, 2015, 06:20:43 PM
Just bought medium ReelX grease and oil from europe.
Couldn't find decent-priced option for Yamaha and Mercury, someone should start selling them on ebay in small 1-2oz packages, like Cal's and Penn from certain sellers.

Here's a link to Amazon I recently used to purchase 14oz Yamalube Marine grease cartridge. It was shipped from the US to the UK costing a mere $12 in total: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Outboard-Marine-Cartridge-ACC-GREAS-14-CT/dp/B004K9FT8K

Once received my preference is to place 4oz's of YM grease into a plastic container (neat) and another 2oz's into an old Penn grease container which has been cut with CorrosionX. For personal use, it will last for many, many years. For use servicing friends and friends of their friends reels, 14oz's should still last a long time.

I would like to get my hands on the CorrosionX grease, but I'm not prepared to pay $22 in shipping charges alone direct from Corrosion Technologies. :-[ I'll wait until the availability becomes more widespread and prices become more competitive.

Tiddlerbasher

Fish - CorrosionX grease is now available in the UK (just) their site lists it under CorrosionX HD

Here is the contact info I was given:

Hi Chris

We have stock and will sell in the UK as 225ml CorrosionX HD grease; we await proper UK-compliant labels, so have not fully launched yet.

We are a couple of weeks away, but if you're OK with an unlabelled tub, we will happily supply immediately. I have put it live on the website without images etc.

http://www.corrosion-x.co.uk/product/corrosionx-hd/

Regards

Rob

Rob Mugglestone
Director
CorrosionX Ltd
Basepoint Business Centre
Bromsgrove Technology Park
Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. B60 3ET
(t) 01527 888 955
(m) 07976697327
(w) corrosion-x.co.uk
(e) rob@corrosion-x.co.uk

DavidKa

Quote from: Fish-aholic on December 27, 2015, 03:45:52 PM
Here's a link to Amazon I recently used to purchase 14oz Yamalube Marine grease cartridge. It was shipped from the US to the UK costing a mere $12 in total: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Outboard-Marine-Cartridge-ACC-GREAS-14-CT/dp/B004K9FT8K
Thanks. Most of amazon sellers won't ship to israel and if they do - $20-30 on shipping :o
I could find relatively cheap option on ebay~$25 in total... but its still expensive.

I have ordered ReelX grease and oil from croatia HERE.