lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidKa

Quote from: exp2000 on January 24, 2016, 04:35:38 AM
ReelX is CorrosionX grease repackaged for the servicing market. It comes in different consistencies. This is what I use for most reels.

I have not tried Moly grease because while it is great for gears it is apparently death for bearings.
The Daiwa Moly product is now obsolete according to company techs here and has been superseded by their new product range which is very good.
But it is unclear whether the grease you have is in fact molybdenum grease or it's just the brand name?
~
Molykote is a brand name. Here the grease I was talking about. It's pretty huge lubricants manufacturer.
I have a tube of daiwa Mo grease and I have tried it once on my certate. Good grease but IMO not for duralumin-brass gears (like most light daiwa/shimano spinners have) - after a couple of times at sea the grease became black and gears were shiny and polished :)
I really liked the ReelX. I also got the ReelX oil and will try to mix it with grease for repacking "slow" bearings. Any experience with ReelX in bearings, how quite it is?

exp2000

Quote from: DavidKa on January 25, 2016, 02:21:15 AM
I really liked the ReelX. I also got the ReelX oil and will try to mix it with grease for repacking "slow" bearings.

This is basically the way I treat drive bearings. I mix a light brew and pump it in. But I buy the CorrosionX grease in bulk and mix in the regular CX lube. My primary strategy is corrosion prevention.

Quote from: DavidKa on January 25, 2016, 02:21:15 AM
Any experience with ReelX in bearings, how quite it is?

ReelX and CX are used by many folks here. I use it in conjunction with other lubricants on spool bearings - once again for corrosion prevention. It has a very good reputation.

Let me know how the Molykote product goes. I know a guy who has used a similar grease for many years - Mercury 2-4-C.

I like Teflon lubes for use on anything plastic.
~

DavidKa

Quote from: exp2000 on January 25, 2016, 03:14:33 AM
Let me know how the Molykote product goes. I know a guy who has used a similar grease for many years - Mercury 2-4-C.

I like Teflon lubes for use on anything plastic.
I'm not sure if I should try it on the main or the oscillation gear... Compared to ReelX, Molykote is much softer so may be it's more suitable for osc. area which have a lot of rubber parts.
Anyway I'll post some test pics I made for the "blade test". BTW I don't know if my test is legit in any way or just stupid? :)

Regarding bearings - I think that corrosion protection is highly important but with smaller spinners, especially as precise as Certate (Exist, Stella etc) noise suppression and ware protection is also important. Silent bearing is protected one, noisy bearing will wear off pretty quickly, also noisy bearing will ruin the reeling experience for some perfectionist individuals like myself :) I will try ReelX on some clean degreased bearings I have, with a viscosity of Medium grease I think 60 grease 40 oil mix or 50/50 will be perfect.

DavidKa

Not sure what exactly this pic will prove :) but i've just updated my 'blade test' photo with ReelX and Molykote.
Although some bare metal can be seen in the most 'wet' pics, only with super lube I got this terrible scraping noise.   

DavidKa

Just for laughs.
Didn't found polishing compound when servicing my reel... Daiwa Mo grease is a wonderful alternative :)

johndtuttle

Quote from: DavidKa on February 02, 2016, 08:38:10 PM
Just for laughs.
Didn't found polishing compound when servicing my reel... Daiwa Mo grease is a wonderful alternative :)

Yes, the Molybdenum component of Mo Grease will polish like that. I have some Molykote M77 with Molybdenum additive coming that I hope to test.

I noticed David that you have some pipe cleaners there for the inside of the Pinion. I got a great tip from Foakes on the site here to use fine steel wool wrapped around a drill bit for that task. Highly recommended if you can find some.

regards

handi2

John I didn't remember where that tip came from but I used it the other day on an old Penn 712. I used bronze wool wet with oil around the drill bit to clean out the bushing inside the reel.

Thanks Foakes..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

DavidKa

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 02, 2016, 08:56:50 PM
I noticed David that you have some pipe cleaners there for the inside of the Pinion. I got a great tip from Foakes on the site here to use fine steel wool wrapped around a drill bit for that task. Highly recommended if you can find some.

regards
Thanks John for the great tip!

jamesbay

hi guys still new and learning so forgive me for the stupid questions but i was reading this and just have a question about the tsi 301 from earlier. should it be used on spool bearings or should i stick with something made for spool bearings such as speedx or xtreme reel + to maximize free spool? also now that some time has past dose anyone have any information on how long the 301 actually lasts.   

sdlehr

It's good stuff, Joe. I've used it on unauthorized applications as well  :-X

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

johndtuttle

Quote from: jamesbay on February 04, 2016, 01:58:36 PM
hi guys still new and learning so forgive me for the stupid questions but i was reading this and just have a question about the tsi 301 from earlier. should it be used on spool bearings or should i stick with something made for spool bearings such as speedx or xtreme reel + to maximize free spool? also now that some time has past dose anyone have any information on how long the 301 actually lasts.   

TSI 301/321 is ideal for spool bearings. Very, very fast lube that seems quite durable as well. Alan had reels that still spun like TSI was just applied a year later.

However, 301 is NOT plastic safe. It contains a solvent that is very useful for a final removal of previous lube, then when it drys the lubricating qualities of TSI are left behind.

TSI 321 conversely is only lube and safe with plastics. I prefer this route (I only service my own reels) but TSI 301 is very useful for a "volume" reel repair/tuner guy. Dawn at smoothdrag sells only the TSI 321.

sdlehr

I stand corrected, what I used was TSI-321.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

johndtuttle

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 04, 2016, 09:12:21 PM
I also made that same mistake, yes it's 321 not 301. The 301 is in the can. I always make the mistake between 301&321

Joe

Yep, when it comes in a can it usually is not Plastic safe! :D

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

handi2

At $45.00 a can its expensive too. I use it occasionally. Its a great penetrating oil.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL