lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish-aholic

Thanks for the forwarding of the email, Chris. Unfortunately the CorrosionX HD grease is a different product to that of the CX grease Handi2/Keith had posted in this thread (page #21 - reply #302). Until the UK distributor can label/advertise accordingly I will not be comfortable in placing an order with them.  :-\

DavidKa - I find myself in a similar situation to yourself; postage charges costing 3x the value of the product. I service quite a lot of reels for friends/friends of their friends these days and find the shipping costs to be a deal killer. It took a long while before I could find a distributor that would ship yamalube marine grease to the UK with reasonable shipping charges.

If you're only planning on servicing your own reels, the excessive shipping rates may be a bitter pill to swallow but to look on the bright side, that one time hit may more than likely leave you with a lifetimes worth for self servicing. Well, until you get bitten by the bug and then your friends shall begin forming an orderly queue.  ;D

oc1

Not to change the subject, but....
When I clean a reel and oil it on the bench it gets blue Yamaha, Cal's on the drag and TSI 321 on the bearings.  When the bearings need more oil in the field I use a small bottle of Reel-X from the tackle box.  Are the Reel-X and TSI 321 compatible?  Will there be some sort of adverse reaction that might send the reel back to the bench sooner?  I like the Reel-X better but notice it does not last as long as the TSI 321.
-steve

johndtuttle

Quote from: oc1 on January 19, 2016, 08:10:43 AM
Not to change the subject, but....
When I clean a reel and oil it on the bench it gets blue Yamaha, Cal's on the drag and TSI 321 on the bearings.  When the bearings need more oil in the field I use a small bottle of Reel-X from the tackle box.  Are the Reel-X and TSI 321 compatible?  Will there be some sort of adverse reaction that might send the reel back to the bench sooner?  I like the Reel-X better but notice it does not last as long as the TSI 321.
-steve

They mix fine.

oc1

RowdyW

Quote from: Wolli on November 21, 2015, 01:39:19 PM
You can get CorrosionX products from Scott's Bait and Tackle.

and dont forget to ask for the new CorrosionX Grease!!

www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx-grease.html

Scott's doesn't sell Corrosion X grease. Mo said there is not enough demand for it.

Fish-aholic

Quote from: RowdyW on January 21, 2016, 04:48:24 AMScott's doesn't sell Corrosion X grease. Mo said there is not enough demand for it.

It's a product that's still in its infantile state (not enough people know of its existence). Give it legs and it will run. ;)

Available from Amazon with reasonable domestic shipping rates, but won't ship to the UK  :-\

http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-Technologies-CorrosionX-Grease-15/dp/B014GYHAIK

Bryan Young

I didn't realize the were distributing in the USA. Can you send a photo of the grease Joe?  I wonder if it's the same formulation as what was initially produced in Germany.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

exp2000

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 23, 2016, 02:20:24 PM
I didn't realize the were distributing in the USA. Can you send a photo of the grease Joe?  I wonder if it's the same formulation as what was initially produced in Germany.

Hi Bryan,

Yeah, I think they have been distributing the grease in the US for a while now.

I have not found a US source that will ship to Australia though and the price here is out of this world.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B014GYHAIK
~

mike1010

How is the viscosity on the corrosion X grease?  Is it as thick as the Yamaha marine grease?  Thanks.

Mike

handi2

It's available at Corrosion Technologies right here in the USA. Online.

http://www.shop.corrosionx.com/CorrosionX-Grease-15-oz-tube-96801.htm
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: handi2 on January 23, 2016, 04:29:19 PM

Just about the same..

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

Quote from: mike1010 on January 23, 2016, 04:29:08 PM
How is the viscosity on the corrosion X grease?  Is it as thick as the Yamaha marine grease?  Thanks.

Mike

Not quite as thick, but as a carrier of the CX lube, you can tailor it to your own requirements.
~

exp2000

Quote from: handi2 on January 23, 2016, 04:29:19 PM

Ha! Thanks for that. Wish I had known sooner.
~

DavidKa

Quote from: Fish-aholic on January 18, 2016, 06:34:46 PM
DavidKa - I find myself in a similar situation to yourself; postage charges costing 3x the value of the product. I service quite a lot of reels for friends/friends of their friends these days and find the shipping costs to be a deal killer. It took a long while before I could find a distributor that would ship yamalube marine grease to the UK with reasonable shipping charges.

If you're only planning on servicing your own reels, the excessive shipping rates may be a bitter pill to swallow but to look on the bright side, that one time hit may more than likely leave you with a lifetimes worth for self servicing. Well, until you get bitten by the bug and then your friends shall begin forming an orderly queue.  ;D
I decided to give up on yamalube. Because of the $$$ on shipping but also because it's supposedly a "regular" lithium complex grease and not Aluminum complex as the old one, that (again) supposedly should protect reel better.

I just received two interesting greases. ReelX Medium and just out of curiosity - Molykote G-4500 grease (al. complex thickener+PTFE). Both are passed my "blade test" I posted before, no bald areas on blades... although they seem to emulsify pretty badly.
ReelX is pretty tacky "long fiber" grease, very smoooth, sticks to metal very well, even after wiping it off leaves some oily residue. Polar bonding! :)))
Molykote is thinner and not tacky at all. As all PTFE greases I tried, it also have a mildly gritty-paste like texture plus it's opaque white so it's hard to see when it emulsifies... but nevertheless IMO it's worth a try on light spinners.

exp2000

Quote from: DavidKa on January 24, 2016, 02:01:24 AM
I decided to give up on yamalube. Because of the $$$ on shipping but also because it's supposedly a "regular" lithium complex grease and not Aluminum complex as the old one, that (again) supposedly should protect reel better.

I just received two interesting greases. ReelX Medium and just out of curiosity - Molykote G-4500 grease (al. complex thickener+PTFE). Both are passed my "blade test" I posted before, no bald areas on blades... although they seem to emulsify pretty badly.
ReelX is pretty tacky "long fiber" grease, very smoooth, sticks to metal very well, even after wiping it off leaves some oily residue. Polar bonding! :)))
Molykote is thinner and not tacky at all. As all PTFE greases I tried, it also have a mildly gritty-paste like texture plus it's opaque white so it's hard to see when it emulsifies... but nevertheless IMO it's worth a try on light spinners.

ReelX is CorrosionX grease repackaged for the servicing market. It comes in different consistencies. This is what I use for most reels.

I have not tried Moly grease because while it is great for gears it is apparently death for bearings.
The Daiwa Moly product is now obsolete according to company techs here and has been superseded by their new product range which is very good.
But it is unclear whether the grease you have is in fact molybdenum grease or it's just the brand name?
~