Penn 115L question

Started by BryanC, August 11, 2012, 01:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanC

I have a Penn 115L (not 115L2) that I purchased on ebay about two years ago.  The reel was new in the box at the time.  The box has the words, "made in USA", but I cannot find that anywhere on the reel itself.  Why is that?  My other senators say "Made in USA" on both side plates.  Is this reel some sort of a hybrid, put together during the manufacturing transition to China?

akfish

The 115H2 was made in China. The box may have been made in the US. There should have been a small Made in China sticker on the foot of the reel -- but it's easy to remove...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

I wonder why they just use that sticker :-\. The 115's  with bushings have the word " Philadelphia Mfg Co" on the left side plate, the ones with bearings don't.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

I misread. I believe that all 115Ls were made in the US and that only the 115L2s were made in China.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bunnlevel Sharker

Yes the l2s were made in china, as long as you have a later batch they are good reels, mine has preformed flawlessly
Grayson Lanier

BryanC

Mine is a 115L.  It is not a 115L2.  Does that mean it was made in the U.S.?  If so, I wonder why there is nothing on it saying where it was made.

broadway

Put it next to a USA made 9/0 and you'll be able to figure it out.  If that doesn't work take it apart and see if it's got any differences in the innards or quality/ weight of the parts (the trim rings should tell the tale).  For sure, don't go by the box if you bought it on Ebay!
Dom

BryanC

Thanks, but I don't have another 115L to put it alongside, and I wouldn't necessarily know the difference between the quality & weight of the parts, since I've never opened another one.

Here are pics of the reel.  The sideplates say 115L (not L2), but don't say anything about where it was made.

mohamedhashem21

from what i know :
the made in usa senators should have "made in USA" engraved on the right side plate not only on the box (all boxes has come from usa) and all of my senators have this and also the USA made versions don't have the "retrieve" and "free spool" options engraved on the side plates i think this one is made in china but you shouldn't worry i think that there is no difference in the materials quality and in an old post alan stated that he loves the new Chinese jig-masters so yo'll be fine i think the only issue you'll face is the clicker since there is a part made of plastic but you can change it later with the metal part of the USA models.
all of penn spinners except torque are made in china now and most of them are great :)

mohamed hashem

broadway

Looks like a 115L to me cause I don't own any of those ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Your 115L is made in China, the recessed area by the eccentric lever gives it away. This is the 115L made in USA, with no mame anywhere:
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

That baby is one sweet reel, Sal!  8)

Alto Mare

I just found a 114H with the same recessed area by the eccentric lever and it does say made in USA. So I don't know what to tell you.
Sal

alantani

Quote from: BryanC on August 14, 2012, 12:17:21 PM

i am also guessing that you have a reel from china.  the side plate rings appear to be stamped in a different manner.  they also appear to be made of stainless steel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tunanorth

Hi Alan and all,
The 115L in question looks like it was made during the short "transition period", after the decision had been made to switch production of this model offshore.
Toward the end as parts supplies dwindled, some sideplates were indeed run in China. [hence no USA markings].