Revo MGX "bottoming out"?

Started by freshtoman, August 11, 2012, 01:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freshtoman

Hello all, this is a great place to learn about reel solutions.

I got a REVO MGX SHS-L.  Great reel but after using it for 7+ months, I noticed that I can only achieved a max drag of 3.25 lbs and this is really tightening the drag to the max.

I did what anyone would do - open up and check and to make sure and then order a set of smooth drags from Dawn and fit up.  But I can only manage a tad above 3.5 lbs.  My order of Cal's has not arrived yet, so I am using some "red" borrowed grease [I know.. but will change out when my Cal's arrives].  When I first opened up, I noticed a lot of "grainy" bits of black stuff [drag stuff?] and I cleaned up.

I am happy with just 5 lbs drag but my fear is about overtightening the drag. I need your advice(s) - please help.   Thanks so much.

akfish

Have you checked to make sure your metal drag washers are seated correctly? If an eared washer is not seated correctly in the slots in the main gear you'll dramatically reduce the drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

freshtoman

Quote from: akfish on August 11, 2012, 03:54:53 PM
Have you checked to make sure your metal drag washers are seated correctly? If an eared washer is not seated correctly in the slots in the main gear you'll dramatically reduce the drag.
Thanks for your tip.  MGX drag is quite simple. The drag sits between the brass gears. No other washers. 

Thanks.

Not that this helps you, but Ive experienced the very same thing with every Revo I owned.  Premier, STX and SX.  I wont own them anymore.  I found improvement in the Premier by adding another belleville washer until I could obtain a new set.  A new set didnt work as well as adding a third washer. New sets didnt help the STX or the SX either.  I personally dont think there is a real solution and that it is part of the Revo's faulty design.  Google revo faulty drag and you find hundreds of hits.

Robert Janssen

The Revo MGX has a very simple, light drag.

There is only one washer, and an aluminum main gear.

I noticed the TackleTour test reel is said to have managed five pounds, so maybe your reel is really not too far off the mark. Maybe the one washer is a little unflat or something; that might explain the one-and-a-half pound difference.

freshtoman

Quote from: 0119 on August 11, 2012, 11:03:10 PM
Not that this helps you, but Ive experienced the very same thing with every Revo I owned.  Premier, STX and SX.  I wont own them anymore.  I found improvement in the Premier by adding another belleville washer until I could obtain a new set.  A new set didnt work as well as adding a third washer. New sets didnt help the STX or the SX either.  I personally dont think there is a real solution and that it is part of the Revo's faulty design.  Google revo faulty drag and you find hundreds of hits.
Thanks for the google and the washer leads. 

freshtoman

Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 12, 2012, 12:11:06 AM

The Revo MGX has a very simple, light drag.

There is only one washer, and an aluminum main gear.

I noticed the TackleTour test reel is said to have managed five pounds, so maybe your reel is really not too far off the mark. Maybe the one washer is a little unflat or something; that might explain the one-and-a-half pound difference.

Thanks, I saw the 5 lbs TT review and when I visited abugarcia site, they stated 12 lbs. I hope it is not a metric thing that got confused. Thanks. 

wallacewt

freshtoman

Quote from: wallacewt on August 13, 2012, 12:10:29 AM
can you bend the washer?
Hi, it is a carbon washer - I supposed if I try to bend it, it might crack or break.  Thanks.

wallacewt

i meant the belleville washer.
sometimes the thin metal washers flatten out.
i put a large ball bearing under the washer,socket on top  and give it a whack

redsetta

Quotei put a large ball bearing under the washer,socket on top  and give it a whack
Great idea - cheers.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

any chance you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

freshtoman

Quote from: alantani on August 14, 2012, 07:34:31 AM
any chance you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?   :-\
Nope - I have the sticky tape thingy that prevent the slipping.   Thanks.

Quote from: wallacewt on August 14, 2012, 01:03:24 AM
i meant the belleville washer.
sometimes the thin metal washers flatten out.
i put a large ball bearing under the washer,socket on top  and give it a whack
Hmm...is that the ( ) metal washer?..  thanks.

By metal washer he means the belleville washers I was talking about. The ones that go on like-  ()
When they flatten you loose drag range and top end power.  Ive bought brand new Abu's that had this problem out of the box, all Revo's.  The factory packs the reel with the drag engaged and they sit in the tightened position for long periods of time loosing their effectiveness.

freshtoman

Quote from: 0119 on August 14, 2012, 01:53:44 PM
By metal washer he means the belleville washers I was talking about. The ones that go on like-  ()
When they flatten you loose drag range and top end power.  Ive bought brand new Abu's that had this problem out of the box, all Revo's.  The factory packs the reel with the drag engaged and they sit in the tightened position for long periods of time loosing their effectiveness.

got it!  let me try..