Newbie in Oregon

Started by Kaymen, August 16, 2012, 04:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaymen

Hello All,

This site is awesome, thanks to everyone for sharing your info for me to read and learn.  I am looking at finnaly fixing my own real.  In years past I have always taken to somebody to fix.  But thought I would try for myself to fix it this time.  I have read and learned a lot on here.  A quick question that I have not been able to find.  What kind of cleaner do you use on inside of the real if any, or do you just hand polish with a clean rag as much as you can.  I have read about the carb cleaner on the bearings but not sure if there is something else.  Again thank you so much.

Kaymen

Keta

Hi from east of the southern Cascades and welcome aboard.

Brake cleaner, carb cleaner, isopropal alcohol and mineral spirits is what like to use.  For internal metal I'll soak in mineral spirits if they are gunky and then put a light coat of grease on the inside with a tooth brush, if it's fairly clean I just smear the old grease around with the tooth brush.

I like to clean bearings with aresol brake/carb cleaner but if they are extremely dirty a over night soak in mineral sprits helps.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Welcome from the State of Jefferson, Kaymen.

Ditto what Lee said about cleaning. For small operations like mine, I usually blow dry my parts with a can of the compressed gas (for computers) - I don't have an air compressor. Some of the cleaners are bad stuff, so ventilation is important.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

i wipe all the grease off old rags or paper towels then use wd40 or carb clean if its real bad.  over time everyone finds what works best for them. good luck and send us some pic's

redsetta

G'day and welcome Kaymen.
The above replies have you on the right track.
x2 on Rob's comment re: toxicity.
Also, don't use carb cleaner on plastics.
All the best, Justin
PS This may be of some interest: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4579.0
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Kaymen

Thanks Guys,  I checked out the link thanks for that.  I think I am ready to tackle this project.  I look forward to adding some to this site.  Have a nice day.

Kaymen

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood...

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

outdoorsaddiction

Welcome to the reelhead madness!   ;D

alantani

kaymen, welcome!  alot of times you can just take the old grease and wipe away as much as you can, then take and old toothbrush and spread around what is left.  the exact grease that you use is not that important.  it matters most that you just use something, anything, to keep the salt off the metal. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Welcome from SoCal....any questions please ask...(I won't reply  because i just don't know enough to give an educated answer) but here there are lots of Subject Matter Experts... ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!