Release Reels-Any Experience Here With Them?

Started by whalebreath, September 05, 2012, 03:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 10, 2012, 10:59:57 PM
Quote from: Release Reels on September 10, 2012, 02:21:20 PM
As that process evolved, we found that by fixing one problem we created another, so we kept adapting until we found a combination that works.  Just like the right blend makes Kentucky Fried Chicken irresistible, we hope our special blend of parts makes our reel irresistible too!  Bill

Hi Bill, I'll take two reels, extra crispy.   :D  Dominick

Bucket or meal????   lol

Very good analogy......  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Release Reels

Hahaha love it!

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 10, 2012, 10:59:57 PM
Quote from: Release Reels on September 10, 2012, 02:21:20 PM
As that process evolved, we found that by fixing one problem we created another, so we kept adapting until we found a combination that works.  Just like the right blend makes Kentucky Fried Chicken irresistible, we hope our special blend of parts makes our reel irresistible too!  Bill

Hi Bill, I'll take two reels, extra crispy.   :D  Dominick

conchydong

Any chance that you guys would make some with lower gear ratio options?

Release Reels

Our LG-2 coming out late Spring 2013 will have two speeds, 6:1 and 3.3:1.  Also, our BG will have two speeds, but as far as the SG there is nothing in the plans for a lower gear ratio. I'm not yet sure what the ratio on the spinners will be, but I'll keep you guys posted.

Bill

Quote from: conchydong on September 11, 2012, 07:42:34 PM

Any chance that you guys would make some with lower gear ratio options?

Panama

Quote from: Release Reels on September 11, 2012, 10:13:29 PM
Our LG-2 coming out late Spring 2013 will have two speeds, 6:1 and 3.3:1.  Also, our BG will have two speeds, but as far as the SG there is nothing in the plans for a lower gear ratio. I'm not yet sure what the ratio on the spinners will be, but I'll keep you guys posted.

Bill

Wow, wow.....You got spinners in the works?  Did you just let the cat out the bag or did I miss something....
Get on the water, Man!!!

akfish

Do think about a slower SG. Check out the discussion on the Bloody Decks board about the Fathom gear ratio. There seems to be a pretty loud cry for something like 4:1 gears in addition to the 6:1 gears.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Release Reels

Haha no, that cat has been slowly sneaking out for a while now.  The look and mechanics are still hush hush though!

Quote from: Panama on September 11, 2012, 10:33:12 PM
Quote from: Release Reels on September 11, 2012, 10:13:29 PM

Bill

Wow, wow.....You got spinners in the works?  Did you just let the cat out the bag or did I miss something....

Release Reels

That's the kind of feedback we're looking for.  Since we are dedicated to building a reel based on the needs of fisherman, we take every suggestion seriously.  With that in mind, what would be your idea reel?

Quote from: akfish on September 12, 2012, 01:58:28 AM
Do think about a slower SG. Check out the discussion on the Bloody Decks board about the Fathom gear ratio. There seems to be a pretty loud cry for something like 4:1 gears in addition to the 6:1 gears.

akfish

An ideal reel for saltwater salmon in Alaska would hold about 200 yards of 30# line and have a gear ratio of perhaps 4.5:1. Faster gears are OK but not necessary because there is no need to rush baits back to the boat, but as a general rule, slower gears feel better and last longer. The one advantage of fast gears is for people who fish hoochies, spoons or lugs deep off downriggers. The fast retrieve will gain line quickly for retrieve or to take up slack to set the hook. And with the 30# of drag you get with your SG, many people will want to fill that reel with straight 80# spectra and fish halibut. But 6:1 gears just don't wok for that when you may be fishing a pound -- or even three! -- of lead.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Release Reels

Our LG-2, which is our 2 speed version, has 6:1 and 3.3:1 ratios, weighs in at around 20 oz, and holds considerably more line than the SG.  Is the 30# line for the salmon mono or braid?  If it's a matter of a gear change and we have enough fisherman interested in it, that is something we can certainly make a batch of specifically for your target market.  Also, our gears are spur cut, not helical, so the durability is there and you won't have to worry about them hopping under increased drag or wearing out. If for some reason they do, that's covered under the lifetime warranty. Thanks for the info though, that's the sort of thing we are interested in. 

Bill 

Quote from: akfish on September 12, 2012, 04:16:55 PM
An ideal reel for saltwater salmon in Alaska would hold about 200 yards of 30# line and have a gear ratio of perhaps 4.5:1. Faster gears are OK but not necessary because there is no need to rush baits back to the boat, but as a general rule, slower gears feel better and last longer. The one advantage of fast gears is for people who fish hoochies, spoons or lugs deep off downriggers. The fast retrieve will gain line quickly for retrieve or to take up slack to set the hook. And with the 30# of drag you get with your SG, many people will want to fill that reel with straight 80# spectra and fish halibut. But 6:1 gears just don't wok for that when you may be fishing a pound -- or even three! -- of lead.

Alto Mare

If you're able to cut them, I'll take mine Helical cut.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

akfish

My guess is the LG would be fine for salmon, but the reality is that we really don't need a two speed reel for salmon. A few people do use them (I see lots of Avets and Shimanos plus some Accurates in the shop) but most people don't want to pay the extra $100 or so when they won't be using two speeds. Salmon mouths are soft so you can't just drop the reel in low and crank. There is more reason for two speeds in a halibut reel -- fast to check bait from 200 or 300 feet, and slow to crank in a 100 pound fish -- but a high speed of 6:1 doesn't work well if you are fishing a couple or even three pounds of lead because of depth and current. This is why I recommend that people use a single speed Avet HX (4.2:1) instead of a two speed (5.4:1 and 2.3:1) for halibut. A two speed reel with 4:1 and 2:1 gears would be about right for halibut (i.e., the gears on a Shimano TLDII). That said, I personally rarely use heavy weight for halibut anymore because I like to fish butterfly jigs, and an 8 oz. butterfly drops as straight and fast as a one pound cannon ball. But most people use a heavy weight, a large bait -- a salmon head or something -- and a 14/0 circle hook.

Oh: Most people up here do still use straight 20# or 30# mono for salmon, but more and more are using braid with a top shot.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Release Reels

Why is your preference helical over spur?  We have a reason we chose spur but I am interested in learning what you guys think.

Bill

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 12, 2012, 08:52:42 PM
If you're able to cut them, I'll take mine Helical cut.

Release Reels

Thanks for the info.  I talked with Wes(president/CEO) about this yesterday and it is something we can do if we have enough interest in it.  Although we are too busy to take the machines offline at the moment, when we get caught up we will explore that option.  We want to be able to get fisherman what they really need to do the job, make it in the USA, and guarantee it for life.  I really appreciate all the insight you guys have given us, it helps us learn the unfamiliar fisheries and how to target the angler's needs. 

Bill

Quote from: akfish on September 13, 2012, 12:21:17 AM
My guess is the LG would be fine for salmon, but the reality is that we really don't need a two speed reel for salmon. A few people do use them (I see lots of Avets and Shimanos plus some Accurates in the shop) but most people don't want to pay the extra $100 or so when they won't be using two speeds. Salmon mouths are soft so you can't just drop the reel in low and crank. There is more reason for two speeds in a halibut reel -- fast to check bait from 200 or 300 feet, and slow to crank in a 100 pound fish -- but a high speed of 6:1 doesn't work well if you are fishing a couple or even three pounds of lead because of depth and current. This is why I recommend that people use a single speed Avet HX (4.2:1) instead of a two speed (5.4:1 and 2.3:1) for halibut. A two speed reel with 4:1 and 2:1 gears would be about right for halibut (i.e., the gears on a Shimano TLDII). That said, I personally rarely use heavy weight for halibut anymore because I like to fish butterfly jigs, and an 8 oz. butterfly drops as straight and fast as a one pound cannon ball. But most people use a heavy weight, a large bait -- a salmon head or something -- and a 14/0 circle hook.

Oh: Most people up here do still use straight 20# or 30# mono for salmon, but more and more are using braid with a top shot.