Reel Recommendations for my charter

Started by Augie3000, September 08, 2012, 04:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augie3000

Hi all,

I am starting a new charter operation in the Fl Keys.  I will be running a 31 CC, and plan to be mostly reef and offshore fishing.  I already have a good amount of tackle: two TLD 25, six penn ss from 650-950, and four Penn Int. 50tw.  However, I would like to simplify my tackle and try to not use this equipment as it is personal tackle that I would like to keep personal and not wear out with my customers.  That said, I have budgeted $2,500 for new equipment. 

Here are my considerations: ease of use for my customers, ease of maintenance for me, uniformity across all set ups, and longevity/value.  I need three reef fishing reels, preferably light spinners, like 550 size.  I was considering the penn battle for these.  I need two deep reef conventional reels for bigger grouper and snapper.  I was considering the Shimano Charter Special for these (I like the levelwind for inexperienced customers).  I need four sailfish reels.  Currently this is what I use the Penn ss reels for.  I am happy with them but I do not maintain them personally.  I would like to start maintaining all my equipment personally.  So, in the interest of uniformity, I was also considering switching to the Battle for sailfishing too.  Maybe the 750-850 size.  Lastly, I need some trolling reels.  I was again thinking of the charter special or some TLDs. 

Ok, so please chime in and give me your thoughts as to what reels I should get and whether I am off base with what I have already suggested.  Keep in mind I am totally new to reel maintenance beyond general cleaning and lubing.  But, I am pretty technically inclined and not afraid to dive in.  I would really like to stay with two types of reels at most, one series for spinners and one series for conventional, if possible, to make maintenance and parts buying easier. 

Thanks guys for all the help.  Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Augie

Alto Mare

Welcome aboard Augie.
Can't speak for others, but if I was looking for good dependable reels that are easy to maintain and take a beating, I would go with a couple of these for the heavier stuff:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5180.msg41428#msg41428.
I don't know nuch about the battle, but I do know some about the spinfisher SS. Go ahead and let the guests use the ones that you have, they're also easy to maintain.
About your personal reels, when it's time let me know. I know a guy that has many ss spinners. I'm sure he could sell you a couple.
Enjoy your stay.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Augie3000

Thanks for the reply Sal.  I will look into the special senators.  I like the price for starters. 

alantani

hi, augie.  i've never fished florida before.  what would help me is to tell me what line weight and line capacity you need. let's figure the drag settings for 25 to 30% of line weight. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Augie3000

I think I am going to go with 113h for my bottom fishing and light trolling applications.  For bottom fishing for grouper and snapper, I'm usually between 30ft and 200 ft deep.  So line capacity is not too much of an issue here.  I would spool with 30-50 lb braid most likely.  For bigger grouper that would go up to 80lb, maybe even 100lb.

As far as light trolling, I would spool with 40-50lb mono.  I'm targeting dolphin and smaller tuna with these outfits.  Line capacity is not a big issue here either, and I think the 113h will suit both of these purposes fine, although I will have dedicated reels for each.  If I'm off base as far as my thinking here goes, please chime in.

Thanks for all the input so far guys, its been a big help.  I'm looking on ebay for some reels and I've found a couple so far that fit the bill.  I'll check back when I get them and we can start some work!

Augie

alantani

i understand that you sometimes need 25 to 30 pounds of drag to keep these grouper out of the rocks.  once that is accomplished, a lighter drag will do.  a 4/0 senator will not deliver this level of performance.  for light trolling, the penn 113h will work just fine. grouper will be the problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

For "light" trolling, I would stick with TLD's or look into the new Penn Squall lever drags. Lever drags are much better for this application IMO
http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn-squall-lever-drag-reels.html

For grouper digging, get a couple Baja Specials. Not levelwind but spool is fairly narrow for ease of leveling line on reel.

For Spinning, unless you can get the older Penn ss series i.e. 7500 etc, I would go with the Daiwa Black Gold Spinners.  They have also proven to be durable for commercial use.

I would still look at getting a couple "gold" 50's heavy trolling reels, either some used Internationals or Tiagras, for special applications such as Goliath Grouper, Shark fishing, Swordfishing, or even high speed Wahoo trolling.

saltydog

When I used to run a charter boat to the Tortugas we always used Penn 3/0 with 30 to 50 pound mono for snapper and normal grouper fishing and on the bigger fish 4/0 to 9/0 with 100 to 200 pound mono for the bigger grouper,the trolling we did mostly with 12,16,20,and 30 internationals.Cheap to maintain and if taken care of will last forever,mine are still around and have been fished for over 20 years.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur