112hW?

Started by Ron Jones, September 16, 2012, 12:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So, I know that everyone gives the 112h short shrift around here, but I love the diameter of it, it is much easier for me to handle than a 3/0. I just took a new to me old one apart to service and the fiber washer under the gear came out in about 4 pieces. This reel is old enough that it had fiber washers throughout, so I'm getting carbons for it. So, now that I'm waiting for the mail I got to thinking (as dangerous for me as it is for many others on here I'm sure). I would like a 2/0 with more capacity. As I understand it, the Jigmaster is the same diameter but wider and parts move around readily, so can I use a spool, stand and bars from a Jigmaster with the 112h guts including 501 gears and a stainless sleeve to make a wide 112h? If so, it would be really cool. As it happens, this reel has bushings which makes me happy because Alan says that's what you need for fishing from a small boat and this reel will bounce jigs and bait off the bottom of the Leeward side of Oahu from a Devlin 5x10.

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

I'm not a mix and match penn expert.  Anyone know?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

Hello Ron,
The Penn Jigmaster isn't the same diameter as the 2/0 or the 112H.  However, the 112H and Jigmaster use the same gears and drag washers.  There are kits available to make the 112H wider, but what you suggest won't work.  The Jigmaster spool won't fit in a 112H, either (different diameter).

A couple of other things; the Jigmaster and 1/0 Senator are the same diameter, but share FEW interchangeable parts.  The 2/0, 3/0, and 112H are the same diameter, but 2/0 and 3/0 don't have many parts in common with the 112H.     

George
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

Alrightee Ron,
The wide 112H is called a "Tuna Special".  Berinson Tackle sells the frame and spool kits for about $140.  I hope this info helps.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

Is there any way to figure out the part number for the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

Quote from: alantani on September 16, 2012, 02:12:55 AM
Is there any way to figure out the part number for the spool?

Berinson's Tuna Special kit includes an Accurate frame and Newell spool.  I don't know the part #.  I suppose one could email them for an answer.     
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

Thanks everyone,

I always thought that a "Tuna Special" and a "Yellow Tail Special" were synonymous. How on earth is the smaller real the Tuna special? I grew up catching San Diego Yellow Tail and dreaming about the tuna fleet. I wouldn't know that a open top 4/0 would be up to a Big Eye.

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

I think that you're going in the wrong direction. The 112h is 2.25" wide, the Jigmaster is 2.5" wide and both have the same line capacity. I would stay away from those "Tuna Special" kits, they're just too costly.
Keep that 112H as is, get youself a ss gear sleeve from Alan and a one piece frame ...if you had to have it, carbon fiber washers and that's about it, unless Lee could make some ss dogs for that reel.
The 112h will hold 625yds of 50lb braid, that's a lot of line.... Just my 2 sense :-\
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

625yards is a lot of line, but Alan says this reel shouldn't use braid because it slips between the spool. I want to run 30# mono, I'm sure the reel will hold enough, I just thought that beings how the reel is OOC, I might as well look at hot rodding it. I concur, I have better ways of spending $140.00. Not that it wouldn't be a lot of cool!

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Alto Mare

If you're going with 30# mono you'll get 300 yds.
Alan is right about the older Senators, but on this particular reel you'll get away with braid. I have two brand new ones in boxes and I can barely push a piece of standard sheet of paper in it. Mine are made in US, I'm not sure about the others.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

Don't shortchange the little 112H it is a good reel and is only the high speed narrow 3/0.I use both 3/0(112) and 112H for tuna and don't knock them they can do a great job set up the right way.I catch Blackfin and schooly YFT in the gulf every year with mine so they work.The 112H gives 8# of drag all day long and with a few changes such as a SS gear sleeve and a little dremel work for an extra drag washer can be brought up to 11 or 12# .30-50# braid with a 30+# topshot and you have a great live bait choice that is easy to handle and cast.Alot of guys knock the older penn reels but they forget they were catching everything in the sea for decades before the newer reels were a glimmer in there designers eyes.And remember newer is always better for the guy selling you the newer stuff,ahh us boys and our toys.And as for the 113H it is a whole bigger animal,I still have the one 113H 4/0 that I used to catch jewfish and hammerheads off of the beaches in Floridia when I was a teenager some 30 years ago.I have improved it over the years and it still pounds tuna on a yearly basis.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

Newell made a "Bluefin" kit to extend this reel.  I could have sworn that I saw someone in Honolulu selling these parts, but I just cannot find the posting.

Other than that, I'd stay with the standard width if you can.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Considering I have 30# Big Game coming out the ears, I'll stick with it for a while. Thanks for all the help, now I'm just waiting on the mail man.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Bryan Young

Aloha Ron,

E komo mai. 

I'll be coming home (Oahu) in October for my grandmother's 100 year old birthday party.  Let me know if you want/need anything.

If you are interested in a SS gear sleeve for your reel, I believe that 5 Oceans 7 Seas has one in stock. 

Aloha,
Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

NYOB----My "favorite and Go To" is a 112H with spacer bars, 20lb test, and a Penn Californian C870C 7' that I bought as a combo from Turner's in Riverside, CA...it will bottom fish, toss irons and live bait way better that my skill set will allow...would love to get two more, but just need to figure how to get them in the house.... ;D....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!