113(Black)YTS or Grouper Special?

Started by George4741, September 16, 2012, 07:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on January 03, 2013, 01:01:55 AM
The sleeve is just a very little bit off center which can be taken care of with a couple of strokes of a round file.

The holes in the bridge could be brazed and relocated.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Quote from: George4741 on January 08, 2013, 02:24:50 PM
I haven't changed it yet.  I don't have the extra bridge and gears, unless I disassemble my 2/0 and use those parts.  
I think I bought the last 2 available on e bay yesterday. I guess more will pop up shortly. Most of the used ones need a new sleeve, they always get rounded off at the top.  I think that the 98-60 sleeve is the worst offender  of this of all sleeves. In H D use they really need s/s sleeves. There are some new 13-49 new pinions available right now on e bay, I just bought 2. By the way the main gears are the same for the 66 & 113.     Rudy

RowdyW

Quote from: Keta on January 08, 2013, 02:59:51 PM

The holes in the bridge could be brazed and relocated.
Hi Lee, Then the hole in the bridge for the pinion would have to be relocated also. Unless you have use of a milling machine & can figure out the angles it just isn't worth the time. You only have to file about .020 in. which will only take about 2 or 3 medium strokes.   Rudy

Keta

I have access to a mill but that works.  When I get caught up I'm going to see if I can cut a SS 349 bridge (drawn up now) and put a 114H size shaft and gear sleeve on it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Quote from: Keta on January 08, 2013, 03:36:34 PM
I have access to a mill but that works.  When I get caught up I'm going to see if I can cut a SS 349 bridge (drawn up now) and put a 114H size shaft and gear sleeve on it.
Lee, what I would like to see is a 114h s/s bridge with a s/s sleeve & s/s dog for my 114hlw with Accuplates & Tib HLW frame.   Rudy

Keta

I have a 114H bridge drawn and waiting.  I wish I had my own TIG welder.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I have it apart and the 66 bridge lines up with the sleeve barely rubbing, we'll get it together soon. I have tried the 60 pinion with the 113 bridge and it is only a hair or two to wide.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

Ron, the 3-66 bridge puts the main gear .025 closer to the pinion.  I've tried just about every combination possible in my search for a higher ratio & this is the best combonation I have found. After I get 2 more done I'm going to have a bunch of 113 pinions, bridges, & yokes left over. I guess I'll dump them into the Long Beach reels I've been scavaging & dump them. Anybody want to buy L B reels with 2.0 ratio? Did you know that the actual 113 ratio is 1.883 not 2.0 & the L B ratio is2.285 ?  Thats a gain of .402. I don't think any more can be done as there is not enough main gear clearance. Now for the 114 6/0 [black plate]    Rudy

Ron Jones

I did not know the 113 was so slow. I do a lot of live bait fishing and honestly the 2.4 gear ratio is fine, it allows me to bring in a chovie without killing it or using a painfully slow crank rate.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

OK,

Who's selling a Grouper special on EBay?

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

George4741

Quote from: noyb72 on January 12, 2013, 02:24:42 AM
OK,

Ron

HEY, THAT LOOKS LIKE MINE! :o  But it isn't. ;D  Interesting though, and I think there are several ebayers out there who follow what we are doing.  I recently saw a double dogged black 114 on ebay, too.  I think the phrase "copying is the best form of flattery" applies here, or something like that. :-\
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

I hope no one minds that I added "Grouper Special" to the title of this thread.  With it's slow retrieve ratio it isn't much of a Yellowtail Special anyway, and I'm sure some of the owners of 113H YTS reels, for lack of a better word, "sneer" at the suggestion that I called it such. ;)  Anyway, I believe Seadawg is the first one to call it a Grouper Special and Ron is using the moniker, as well.

Has any other reel been called a Grouper Special?

BTW Seadawg, are you the same Seadawg who is selling one on BD?  If I may ask, did it come up short in the fishing department, or are you just moving on to something bigger and better?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

I prefer slow retrieves for all live bait, and my history of catching yellow tail with anything but a live anchovie is zero, so I'm just as likely to fish with the grouper special (I love the name, by the way.)

So, I do believe a grouper special is defined as:
66 spool, posts (or substitute), bridge, pinion (I am also using the inner rings to not have holes up top)
Steel main gear
double dogs (are stainless available?)
Newell YTS base (or a tib/accurate etc. frame)
5+1 greased carbon fiber drag washers
SS gear sleeve.
Handle of choice.

I think it looks the best with the ebay SS posts and it keeps the price down, one of Alan's handles is almost mandatory. I need to find a Newell base and my matched pair will be ready to go. I/ve almost got the lugs with no threads showing worked out.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

RowdyW

Thats quite a list but you forgot the 66 pinion yoke.  ;D I don't think double dogs are neccessary only 1+5 drags and s/s sleeve,steel main gear &  handle of choice optional. Oh and a s/s dog.

RowdyW

Quote from: noyb72 on January 12, 2013, 02:24:42 AM
OK,

Ron
Hey anybody know Harry in Winter Haven, Fl.? He says he copied from an associate on another website. It doesn't have the complete set up though.